WOW... a LOT of reaction to this one.
First off, thank you all for your comments... now on to specific replies...
I regards to your big post...sometimes it's about the composition of an image that makes it, rather than showing pedals and stuff. This image is well crafted, and attention was paid to details.
Thanks, Bitter. Big compliment.

I have some further comments on the choices I made here but I'll make them in response to "the big post".
I agree that it's a very cool moment you captured here. I'd consider some cropping though, to get rid of the semi-circle at the top and just maybe a bit of the negative space on the LHS. If chopping the semi-circle is not an option, I'd suggest darkening it a tad.
I am on the fence about the semi-circle myself.
I love this image. The woman's dress makes the shot!
I actually wanted MORE of the semi-circle and the details on the top, but the image didn't balance well with more... I don't think it balanced well with less, either. I wanted to get as much of that organ as I could without losing our organist.
As an organist, I guess I have a slightly different perspective. Personally, I would prefer the picture were zoomed out more. I have several reasons why, but depending on your purpose, they may or may not apply.First, you photographed only a small portion of the organ. To me this is like photographing a sax player but only getting the neck of the saxophone. If the point of the photo is the player's intense facial expression, then that's fine, but otherwise you want the full instrument.Second, one of the greatest things about organs is that they often are a great work of visual art in and of themselves. The way the pipes are arranged and any ornamentation to the facade is very interesting visually in the case of most (though not all) organs.Third, the other great thing about being an organist is the power trip of playing such a massive instrument worthy of the title "King of Instruments." Taking a photo from further out helps to emphasize this fact.Also, the pedals are one of the things that makes playing an organ special. You did get some of the feet and pedals, but maybe a bit more would be nice.Of course, if the facade is bland, or if the church has too much clutter and junk around to get a good picture, or if you really wanted the little bit of reflection in the mirror, then maybe the crop is better. And it really depend on the purpose of the photo (the organist, organ, or both.) Just some thoughts. I must say I think it's wonderful that you took the photo in the first place. We organists are a dying breed.
This was really interesting, and I'm very glad you took the time to post it. Thank you.
This shot wasn't (for me) so much about the musician or the instrument as it was a bit of a moment. In truth, there is one thing about the image that bothers me, and when I posted it I was curious if anyone would catch it... and you appear to have come closest, but I think for different reasons than I was concerned about. Basically... the feet. I don't like that the bottom of the organist is blocked by a pew. I hate to point it out because I don't want to diminish anyone's perspective on the image, but I feel like I should "come clean" and it also plays into some of the things you were hoping to see more of... however, my reasons for wanting to see them were more about the overall art of the thing and not so much about the specifics of playing that monster.
Anyway, I guess no one really cared too much about that so I guess I shouldn't agonize over it.
BTW, I'm a musician too... so I get what you're saying in some respects. I think it was just a different purpose, as you said.
Also, as organs go, this one was big, but not terribly impressive overall.
Entirely worth while. I like it.
Thanks!
I'd go along with the semi circle at the top of the frame. It's kind of ackward and distracting. You can see the difference by scrolling the photo up to "crop" it off. Much cleaner without IMO. I personally like the horizonal composition the way it stands. To me, the texture of the wooden panels adds interest to the over all scene.
Thanks very much. Lots of folks didn't like the semi-circle, which is very interesting.
I agree that it's a very cool moment you captured here. I'd consider some cropping though, to get rid of the semi-circle at the top and just maybe a bit of the negative space on the LHS. If chopping the semi-circle is not an option, I'd suggest darkening it a tad.
Thanks, Federico. I might play a bit with cropping the LLHS and see... the balance is fairly sensitive, though. It may not quite work.
Very nice. This shot HAD to be in B&W to be affective. Nice!
Yeah, I thought so too. Thank you!
I like.
When I was opening the thread, all I saw was the top part of it, then saw the whole image when I scrolled down. I wonder what a crop of just the top would be like. just a bit below the openings in the pipes...sort of an abstract.
yeah, you know... if I had more time to futz with it I probably would have spent a good 20 minutes taking pictures JUST of that organ.
Pretty good. If this was a wedding, it would be cool of you get the reflection of the b&g from a different angle.
It was, and I sorta started to try but I was getting looks from the organist so I backed off.
Unbelieveable, I can see why you would have chosen b/w. I was amused by the reflextion of the organist....she looks like she's really into the music.
Oh yes, very!

That's why I worked pretty hard to make sure I had her face in there.

Thanks for your comments!
No words...i mean one only...Outstanding :thumbsup:
hahaha... thank you.
