ChickenFriedRyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sony Digital SLR Alpha A100!

I have right now, a 5Mp Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1. I do want to get into photography much more so I think I should get a new camera! It seems to be one of the cheaper but decent ones. Got any suggestions? I do want a camera that is Memory Stick PRO Duo compatible. I don't want a whole new array of memory cards!

Unless I have to prolong my wait from October to December then I could get something better??

check out dpreview.com you can go to "Buyers Guide/Feature Search". It might help to narrow down your options based on what you are looking for in features.

you are buying a camera based on memory cards? Umm...k
I would focus more on the lens system than the memory cards. You can buy another card if you really need one...lenses are way more of an investment.
I personally don't like Sony's lenses...and they seem expensive in some areas. I would say Nikon is probably the cheapest to buy a plethora of lenses for...

ok I just bought that slr. I love love love it! If your upgrading from a point and shoot. It's a very easy to use cam. got mine from ritz camera for a very resonable price. The kit lens that came with the cam takes very nice pics. And if you nothing about adjusting, the presets actually work very well.one for portraits,lanscapes,scenery,sports,night,ect. all so far took decent pics. I prefer adjusting to my preference. But I give :thumbup::thumbup: great starter slr and the pro pics ive seen from the a-100 were breath taking!any ?'s let me know I'll be glad to give you my opinion(which isnt worth much) But it is a opinion from a owner of the cam you want

Unless you're going to need a half a dozen cards or more (Unlikely if you're just starting I'd expect), then memory is about the cheapest part of your camera system - Don't base your choice around just the memory type!

Never used an A100, I don't know if it's a good camera or not, I'm just saying look deeper than the memory type. Compare features, lens selections and prices, and how it feels in your hands before you worry about memory.

Unless you're going to need a half a dozen cards or more (Unlikely if you're just starting I'd expect), then memory is about the cheapest part of your camera system - Don't base your choice around just the memory type!

Never used an A100, I don't know if it's a good camera or not, I'm just saying look deeper than the memory type. Compare features, lens selections and prices, and how it feels in your hands before you worry about memory.
agree 100% A 2gig sd card is only like $50 and on the a100 that holds over 500 pics in the highest jpeg Don't base your $500-$1500 purchase over a couple of $30 memory cards you can get at tiger D. Hold one and see if its what you feel comfortable with. And go to a camera shop where they know about all the cameras your interested in. not BB or CC where a 16 year old kid (who knows nothing about cameras other than what he has been told 2 say) will push the most expensive one he has on you

Okay, sorry I just would like something compatible with the memory cards I have. Like I should say, I don't have way too much experience and I'm only 14 but thank you for the understanding. Should I start out with getting the body of the camera or should the lenses come along with that?

There are a few Wolf Cameras around my city but none near me. (Wolf is the same as Ritz I presume?).

I really only have half the choice on picking it because I am not old enough for a job. My neighborhood doesn't have any given oppurtunities for myself to make some money. So if I were to get a Digital SLR, I would have to pick an affordable one. I did my research yesterday and I found what I wanted from Wolf Camera. It is a Sony Digital SLR Alpha A100 with an 18-70mm lens for $700. If I wanted just the body then it would be $600. My mother has an old film-use SLR in her closet and it's a Nikon if that helps any?

If I wanted just the body then it would be $600. My mother has an old film-use SLR in her closet and it's a Nikon if that helps any?
Not sure how one has to do with the other. Gonna say I'm 99% sure that old Nikon is in no way going to work on your Sony.
Is there any reason you're buying from a shop? Craigslist and the like should have super deals, as well as a robust aftermarket for lenses. In your area there are quite a few good deals.

I'm not making any sense. Her camera is ancient but still good!

I looked on craigslist but there really wasn't one I was looking for. Unless I have to resort to another brand. Any other cameras that can use Memory Stick (PRO) Duo?? If not I guess I'll have to wait. Thanks for the help so far!

Any other cameras that can use Memory Stick (PRO) Duo?? If not I guess I'll have to wait. Thanks for the help so far!

ProDuo is a Sony proprietary format that very few DSLRs use. As said, its a waste of time to base a camera purchase based on a card, thats rediculous... lol. Prices for other memory cards are very cheap. If that is a concern for you, perhaps you are not ready for the higher costs associated with using a proper dSLR such as additional lenses and a good body.

Unfortunately, Sony doesn't like to play well with others...they use their own type of memory cards, rather than a more universal type. So if you really want to keep & use your memory sticks...you would need to get a compatible Sony camera.
What some people are saying, is that you might be better off with a different camera brand, like Canon or Nikon...and in that case, you would need to get new memory cards...but they are not very expensive.

Any other cameras that can use Memory Stick (PRO) Duo?? If not I guess I'll have to wait.
I would much rather spend 19 bucks on a 2GIG memory card off Amazon, and grab a cheap used dSLR (with a built in resale value), then chain myself to a single camera brand based on a propietary medium.
The reason I suggest Canon or Nikon, is because their products are littered all around the resale market, and finding cheap lenses and the like is ridiculously easy, versus paying full price for new Sony lenses and a new Sony camera body. If you have the cash - go nuts.

I just bought my sister a tiny P&S Sony and paid $39Cdn for a 1Gb ProDuo card. I can get a 2Gb SD card for my mom's Kodak for $15 at the local Costco.

Sony, thats not nice of you!

agree 100% A 2gig sd card is only like $50 and on the a100 that holds over 500 pics in the highest jpeg Don't base your $500-$1500 purchase over a couple of $30 memory cards you can get at tiger D. Hold one and see if its what you feel comfortable with. And go to a camera shop where they know about all the cameras your interested in. not BB or CC where a 16 year old kid (who knows nothing about cameras other than what he has been told 2 say) will push the most expensive one he has on you

First off the a100 uses compact flash cards, it comes with a cf adapter for memory sticks but it doesnt take them directly only the a700 does and there are two slots one for cf and one for the memory stick. I agree you shouldnt be basing your decision on a card. I've owned an a100 for over a year now and its a great camera and as for the comment about the lenses being more expensive i really dont know where thats coming from. You can use minolta's lenses on there as well as sony's line of lenses.

The thing about the sony is it has built in stabilization instead of having it in the lens what that means is any lens you buy will have it instead of having to buy vr or is lenses that are more expensive. A lot of people say that in camera is not as good because you cant actually see it working but its been great for me i can easily take hand held shots down to half a second. I think if you've tried out the sony and you like it you should get it not because im a sony user but its ultimately your camera in the end and you need to feel comfortable using it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back