Ideal Film for...

MichaelMigz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys. What do you think an ideal film for shooting a snowboarding competition? Its sunny out, and on top of a white mountain. Do you think a faster film will be good? or slower?

Faster. Use a negative film like Fuji Superia Reala 100 ISO.

Get a circular polarising filter if possible and a UV if you're on a budget!

Rob

Alright. Thanks a lot Rob! So, for future referance, the higher the ISO, the lower the speed of the film?

The ISO of the film represents it's sensitivity.

ISO 50 is pretty much as low as it goes (normally) and this film requires bright daylight or flash to achieve a reasonable shot without a tripod under normal conditions.

ISO 3200 is pretty much as high as it goes and this film can be used in very dim lighting situations indeed. Once candle is often enough to illuminate a face enough to get a good exposure hand held.

Action photography normally warrants a film speed of between say 250th and 2000th of a second. This in a skiing environment can be achieved most easily with film in the range of 100-400 ISO. Negative film is more flexible than slide film and it's likely that as long as your camera's meter is good, that it'll be fine.

Rob

Or perhaps more simply:

Low ISO number = slow film, long exposure or needs brightness
High ISO number = fast film, short exposure or works in darkness

For a snowboarding event, I would be more inclined to go with a ISO 400 for the faster shutter speeds with the action shots. Also, if you find youself in an area with shadows you're still safe.

Here is an application for the films on the 200asa end of the scale. White snow and bright sun. You can still get action stopping shutter speeds with these slower films. And maximum quality images, although most won't notice the difference unless large prints are made.
The only down side would be if trying to use the same camera/film indoors. You could take 2 cameras one for indoors and film more toward the 800asa end of the range. 800asa could be used outdoors as well.
The other option is to just use one camera and the "universal color print film" - 400asa

200 asa film is the most stupid invention I've ever seen. there is no noticeable difference when it comes to grain (compared to asa 400) and you'll lose one f stop. there is a reason for the lack of 200 asa pro films (sure, there are a few but hey). back to main question, I'd take a 400 asa film (better DOF is cool :D).

Rob said:
Ah, glad you've pointed out the deliberate error! Well done, have a gold star.
Sorry man.

I'm always too slow to get the sarcasm before I say something.

Dr. Dum Dum

Most reactions

New Topics

Back