Ideal Film for...

i keep getting confused when it comes to this topic....
at first i thought i should use a slow film for night shots or low-light because with long exposure it wouldnt be as grainy as a fast film.

now, use a fast film for low-light? :confused:
would that mean i can use a fast film and shorten the exposure and get the same results as if with slow film and long exposures?

Not exactly the same results, no. As you said, faster film (especially 1600/3200) tends to be grainier. On the other hand moving subjects will be more blurred with slower film. In general I use slow film for low-light shots of stationary subjects (buildings etc) but faster film for low-light shots of moving subjects (people). Unless of course you want to capture the effect of motion with blur. Then there's reciprocity failure, which I won't even attempt to explain at 2am :mrgreen:.

I shot a lot of water skiing and baseball, don’t like going with that high of an ISO, you will get a lot of the wrong type grain IMO, I stop use film for sports about 2-1/2 years ago, at that time I was using Kodak VC400 with good result baseball only, I’m now also shooting water skiing with a Canon 1D MIIn, shot for yesterday at 3200 ISO and this one is at 250 ISO

Most reactions

Back