if placed side-by-side ...

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
780-4217-v2.jpg

this is a really nice photograph! what type of lens did you use? and did you photoshop it at all?

this is a really nice photograph! what type of lens did you use? and did you photoshop it at all?

Thanks. Sigma 10-20 and local curve adjustments and some dodging and burning.

Are those logs?

The foreground looks somehow "artificial" to me (that's not the best word for it, but I'm having a hard time expressing my thoughts on this right now), but the more I look at it the more I like it. It has a certain surreal thing going for it. "Otherworldly" and dreamlike.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Are those logs?

The foreground looks somehow "artificial" to me (that's not the best word for it, but I'm having a hard time expressing my thoughts on this right now), but the more I look at it the more I like it. It has a certain surreal thing going for it. "Otherworldly" and dreamlike.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you. It's quite the strange place. The old railroad ties are being eaten up by the salt on the dry lakebed. I'm sort of this way and that way about it, but my wife selected this out of the 4 shots I did an edit on. I'm starting to like it more as I get away from the trip. I thought it was cool that I left at 3:30 am, arrived at 5:15, and then walked for 45 minutes to get there about two minutes before the sunrise. The sun is about halfway up the horizon here.

Last edited:
This is fantastic abraxas. It has an apocalyptic feel that one would find on the cover of a 70's sci-fi novel and I like that very much. Though one can't help but come to rest on the mountains they really provide no sense of security in this shot.

I get the feeling that it was a bit unnerving to shoot there -- loads of tension.

Thanks. This area is #1 of my favorite places to shoot right now. Everytime I go out I see something, or hear about something I need to shoot next time. This last trip, on my way out I found part of an old wagon road that passed through the rocky foothills of the mountains. It should look totally delirious with the shadows at the crack of dawn. I've also seen snapshots of an Indian footpath through the area that may date back a few thousand years (evidenced by the elevation along an ancient lake shore that dried up about 2,000 years ago). I'll probably find that doing traverses while planning shots for the wagon road. The old trails stand out quite nicely in the long shadows in the sunrise. Maybe I can get out there in a few weeks, but if not, I'll have to wait until next fall. It gets insanely hot out there (115-120).

Sounds incredible. I can't help but think that my photographic interests would be much different if I lived in such a place. I'm sure that's not entirely true but I do love and envy the history in your subjects. Here, in Missouri, it seems that our history is either buried in private property or has wheelchair ramps. While I'm all for the work that has been done to preserve our artifacts, and make them accessible to the public, I feel a sense of loss in the roped-off presentation that many of them receive. Cahokia mounds, near St. Louis, is just such a place. You can see the history in the mounds themselves, and you can hear the history in their state-of-the-art dioramas, but you cannot feel the history.

I have always assumed that you are in Southern California somewhere. Am I on track there?

Mine changed quite a bit from when I lived in Iowa :)

I'm on the edge of the Mojave Desert, sort of the 'Other Southern California.'

Mojave Desert Region
480-mojavedesert-npsmap.gif

I live near where it says Victorville on the map.

It's very deceptive. It looks empty and barren, but it's laid out all bare-naked and bold. Geology, paleotology, prehistory, history, flora, fauna, whatnot (I love the whatnot). Throw in a few sunsets, sunrises, windstorms and flash floods and I'm good.

I don't know if you've ever seen my web sites. I've been putting together our junk out here for about 14 years now.

Digital Desert
Mojave Desert

The last 3-4 I've been getting into the fine art photography aspects.
-

Interesting thoughts about feeling. I just read this morning one of my favorite landscape photographers likes to put his images away for a couple months to be aside from the emotional aspects of his shots before editing. I might try it, but I like having that in there if I can get it. I gave a presentation to about 50 scientist and educator type desert rats this last weekend and they went wild over them. It was very cool. I went into the day being 'some guy' and came out being a desert photographer.

Nice shot. Well composed.

In my opinion the contrast and saturation are a little bit too much (it looks a little artificial). But this is just an opinion

Most reactions

Back