If you could own only one Prime lens what size would it be ?

If I could just have ANY lens, then of course it'd have to be the EF 1200mm f/5.6L USM. A while back, a "used" lens sold for about $120,000 at B&H Photo's used department.

This way, I could sell the lens, buy every other lens and piece of camera gear I could ever want, pay of the mortgage on the house, and get a new set of tires for the car and STILL have money to go on a nice vacation.

;-)

$120,000? Are you serious? That is CRAZY! I bet that was heavy. I like your way of thinking except I wouldn't pay off the house, because I want to keep the deductions and the low interest rate. I might throw some into a long term investment though.

50/2 IS - doesn't exist yet, so I make do with a 50/1.8

Photography with only one prime is like playing golf with only a putter.

runnah said:
I would have to say AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR.

I have several primes already, but there is one I would love to have for my birding and that is the 600mm but I would also be very happy with the 500mm Nikkor! $$$

Canon 50mm f/1.0 for me.

BOKEH!

Don't confuse softness with Bokeh. I've had both the 1.0L & 1.2L and the 1.2 is sharper with equally creamy Bokeh.

Last edited:
Nikkor 28mm f1.4

Or let's cheat. I only own one prime for my main camera kit. It's and 85 f/1.8. I own three zooms that cover from 17-200mm the entire way.

For my OM-D, I have a 20 f/1.7 and 45 f/1.8. I'd also like to own a 12 f/2 and 75 f/1.8 one day. That would be four primes that would cover the entire range for me.

35L full frame... but if I can only have 1 prime, probably that's the time to find another hobby.

If I could only own one prime, I probably would have another hobby.

You guys give up too easy.

If money's an issue then save up for a 24mm or a 28mm AFD to go along with your 50mm.

In the mean time, fire away with what you've got, wishing you had something else isn't nearly as much fun as playing with what you have!

Since I own a full frame camera, I think that my 50mm would have to be the choice for me. For a second prime, I would have to really think about the 85mm for portrait use. Even with my zoom lens, I find that most of my landscapes are shot around 50mm or longer.

The question, to me, is like asking, "if you could only have one tire for your car, which of the four rims would you put it on?"

Anyway, I'm old school, so I'd go with a 50mm.

If money's no object, an f/1.2, but then again, if money's no object, why am I forced to choosing just one prime lens? So, I guess money's a problem, so it's an f/1.8 or, at best f/1.4. Probably used, at that...

Maybe it's time to sell the camera and take up origami - I hear that's not terribly expensive.

The one I use the most is a 28mm prime with minimum distortion and a sharp image.

skieur

Most reactions

Back