If you have a business, how to get more clients for your photography business!

Fook, another thread that's going to make me sound like a snob. But I don't care.

This is also another case of people only reading a small percentage of what is being written/said. All I said in my first post was that not all photogs need a website. And I am one of those that don't. The only thing a website would do for me is some random idiot calling me who thinks I am going to shoot his next album cover for $250. I won't but I will waste a lot of time convincing this idiot I will not shoot his job. And yes, it happened not long ago because of something I said on a forum.

Could this be why I don't say who I am? Could very well be. This kind of situation is a waste of time to me. So is a website. Get over it. Just because the internet is the latest gadget doesn't mean it is a sales tool.

I don't have a website either. Also, when contacted by the Yellow Pages guy, who was try to get me to flesh out a web listing, I told him to put nothing. I am busy enough, and don't need random phone calls for crap work. I am however having a website made, and the idea to prevent random calls, is to have the website portray that I am high end, and expensive. Exclusive, if you will. But there is also the difference of someone who is already successful, and someone who is just getting started. If you are just getting started, you should probably have a website. If you are already established, and making money, is it needed? Nah.

Totally agree. Especially if you are thinking of retail work.

My original point was that the OP's statement was a stupid blanket statement. Not every photog needs a web site. Period.

Cloud, don't get me wrong... If not having a web site works for you, more power to you. I envy your building a successful business without one and not having to deal with updating it all the time, etc... That goes for anyone else who is successful without one.

For what I do, I just find it useful for not only promoting my work, but keeping me in touch with my clients. I hate having to keep it fresh all the time, but it's the nature of the beast once you start down that path. And I personally don't feel I could be successful without one.

Obviously, there's no ONE right way to run a business.

Cloud, don't get me wrong... If not having a web site works for you, more power to you. I envy your building a successful business without one and not having to deal with updating it all the time, etc... That goes for anyone else who is successful without one.

For what I do, I just find it useful for not only promoting my work, but keeping me in touch with my clients. I hate having to keep it fresh all the time, but it's the nature of the beast once you start down that path. And I personally don't feel I could be successful without one.

Obviously, there's no ONE right way to run a business.

Very true. Although I would suggest a website myself to anyone doing retail photo. But what we often seem to forget on this forum is that retail is only one part of the photo world.

In my part of it, commercial, quality jobs will come mostly from word of mouth or face to face marketing. A website would bring me jobs I don't really want. The ones that would take a lot of time training the clients for little financial reward. But Bitter is right in saying that when you are trying to establish yourself, it might be needed or useful. Especially if you are not much of a salesperson. Unfortunately, if you are not a salesperson, you probably won't go far in this business.

I am just getting going. I have made my central business model around my website. The way I look at it, I have no store, and I do not have money to advertise at the moment. All that I can do is good word of mouth advertising, and work on SEO for my website. I am just getting into it and any info on building backlinks would be helpful. If you guys get a second, please check it out so that you can give me some C&C Santa Clarita Photographer - Anthony Ryan Photo

I have found over the past decade that having a web site has not generated much in the way of new clients, it is basically just a portfolio. It is not difficult for most half decent camera owners to put up 10-20 photos that look great and create a smoke and mirror site. I switched to a commercial site last year and have generated more sales in this past year than I did in the 10 years prior, and have spent far less on the web site. I send out proposals all the time to potential clients, but I also target specfic events. I email potential clients, again based on events, out of of every 10 emails or proposals I may get 3-4 replies, from that if I pick up a client that`s a good day......but it doesn`t happen all the time. As long as dealing with frustration, closed doors and no replies is not a problem, keep at it.

There seems to be a frustration with music on websites on this forum. I will admit, I turn it off when I hear it on websites, but I have to admit that I have spoken with people that agree that it can add flavor to a site. Nonetheless, I don't think it is going to make or break it.

People I've talked to will say that music and flash are a waste of time, as much as many look impressive you're trying to sell yourself as a photographer or sell images, not sell flash and music. Simple, fast loading and easy to navigate sites work the best, if someone has to wait longer than 5-8 seconds for pages or pictures they generally move on.

There seems to be a frustration with music on websites on this forum. I will admit, I turn it off when I hear it on websites, but I have to admit that I have spoken with people that agree that it can add flavor to a site. Nonetheless, I don't think it is going to make or break it.

Let me tell you this from experience... If you target weddings, family photography, etc... music on your web site will lose you a lot of visitors. I read a study where 75% of working women do research on the web for purchases from work. And music suddenly blaring from speakers is a dead giveaway that you're not working. :) Not to mention, the number of people who use their computer at odd hours.

I would suggest that you take your pictures, turn them into a video with music and allow visitors to click the play button to view your video, rather than auto-starting it with music blaring out of no where.

I just turned the music off, I just read some of the same studies. I do think that in my market at least a website is a necessary commodity. It builds public trust in your company when they see it, and if you do not have a studio, it acts as your storefront.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back