In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Delta passenger throws coffee, attacks air marshal during flight

". . . Passenger Martin Nicholls . . . added everyone on the flight was growing “very concerned because, I thought, we’re at 30-odd thousand feet over the sea. What if she tried to open the door ?” . . . "

No worry Martin. The only way she could open a door is if the cabin was no longer pressurized.

The cabin is pressurized to an equivalent altitude of about 8000 feet. The pressure differential between 8,000 feet inside and 30,000 feet (very, very, very low pressure) outside the airplane is way, way, way, to high for anyone to be able to open the door at 30,000 feet. Note too that airliner doors open into the cabin so that enormous pressure differential keeps the doors closed.

Cabin pressurization - Wikipedia

The only way she could open a door is if the cabin was no longer pressurized. The cabin is pressurized to an equivalent altitude of about 8000 feet. Also the cabin crew employees are scheduled in by a management software. Sometimes you're going to get good people and sometimes bad. Majority of them are nice so no need to lose your cool. Just be patient and complain later. I usually just play away on my ukulele or something to pass time when in the air.

I have been absolutely STUNNED on how someone can loose their cool in a freaking airplane. I think the airlines should keep their funds and issue them a bill. Like I know some passengers can be downright annoying but please calm down. You're in a metal tube at 30,000ft. I am glad to find out that the doors are pressurized. That's a relief for sure. People just need to be more patient. Like when you are at a dentist's office all relaxed.

Last edited:
Some people just don't think about it before making crass statements.......:)

people are ridiculous.

Don't sound like she needs a prison sentence to me,sounds like she has mental heath issues, people of a sound mind don't act like this.

the worst part is that the other passengers usually get off worse than the offender, as the plane is for some reason--always turned back -- often even when more than half way to destination.

she looks straight up bonkers in her mugshot.

yet the vast majority can cope...

the worst part is that the other passengers usually get off worse than the offender, as the plane is for some reason--always turned back -- often even when more than half way to destination.

she looks straight up bonkers in her mugshot.
Easy solution; build aircraft with an in-flight exit door. Buh-bye!

WAIT Are you telling me that they CAN'T open the doors whilst in flight? Is this why they don't give you parachutes to escape from the plane if its all crashing! Darn it they need to give us doors that can open in the air and parachutes so that we can escape!
Also I'm sure I saw someone open the door in that film one time...

Don't sound like she needs a prison sentence to me,sounds like she has mental heath issues, people of a sound mind don't act like this.

Last bit of the article says she's been ordered to undergo an evaluation so hopefully she gets medical treatment/aid rather than prison. The "up to one year" sounds like the article is just quoting the maximum potential period possible for what she's been arrested for under law.

She does indeed sound like something is wrong rather than behaving normally; or that a culmination of events has resulted in her situation (eg she might be on some kind of new (for her) medication that is having a bad side effect)

Most reactions

Back