IL State Capitol

Stacey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a day (Thursday as a matter of fact!) and went to Springfield for the day. I've been down there numerous times in school for the education "thing" and didn't really enjoy it much. But now that I'm older and "wiser" ;) I've really been itching to go again and see it through different eyes. And it was an AMAZING trip. I don't know if any of you have been there, but I HIGHLY recommend the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum. We didn't check out the Library b/c we running short on time but the museum is a MUST SEE! You could only take pictures inside 2 parts of the museum (one was a children's play area) and the other was the plaza...so thats where my some of my pics were taken at. But all in all, it was a very fun trip. Sad to say they were doing construction on Lincoln's Tomb and didn't get back to see Oak Ridge and some other interesting things but I've seen it before (and I wanted to see it again) plus do more exploring, but it wasn't in the cards for me--:grumpy:. Any way, hope you like the pictures. C/C always welcome!

1. Shot of the Presdential Museum "block"
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax021-1.jpg

2. The Museum-there is a walkway across the the street that leads to the Library which (externally) looks exactly like the Library
8-23-07Springfield-Vivitar007.jpg

3. The "White House"....this was the COOLEST part of the museum..it took you from Lincoln's candidacy to his death and it was awesome! Plus you wouldn't believe how massive it was inside!
8-23-07Springfield-Vivitar008.jpg

4. Looking in at Mary Todd Lincoln
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax029New.jpg

5. Here's the Family...and looking past Mary's shoulder is John Wilkes Booth...I didn't plan how it turned out but overall, I think it was pretty cool that he showed up like that!
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax025new.jpg

6. Officers out front...(these were all creepy wax figurines by the way!)..I didn't read the names on these so I'm not sure if the man on the left is actually a woman or not...I know sometimes guys like to "puff" up their shoulders and back so I don't know if that's whats going on but whatever it is, this "man" has a bust!:lol:
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax034new.jpg

7. Lincoln's Home...
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax065new.jpg

8. Old State Capitol:
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax037new-1.jpg

9. Old State Capitol Again:
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax035new.jpg

10. New State Capitol:
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax049.jpg

11. Again...
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax052.jpg

12. IL WWII Memorial:
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax082new2.jpg

13. Quote from a wall at IL WWII Memorial:
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax085new.jpg

14. IL Korean War Memorial:
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax086new.jpg

15. Lincoln's Final Resting Place...( or so they say! haha)
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax090new.jpg

16. Lincoln's Head-His nose is rubbed gold from everyone who has come over the years. Its tradition that you reach up and rub his nose for luck!
8-23-07Springfield-Pentax093new.jpg

Whew! I know that was quite a few! But I took tons more! Hope you enjoyed! Don't forget to C/C me!

Nice!

I always knew Lincoln was a bronze noser.

Some great pictures...been there many times.

The only thing I would work on, which is something I've been trying to work on with my own work is making pictures level. Like I love Lincoln's House, but it's crooked, and on #2 I would of tried to include all of the curve of the library roof.

More like this

Some great pictures...been there many times.

The only thing I would work on, which is something I've been trying to work on with my own work is making pictures level. Like I love Lincoln's House, but it's crooked, and on #2 I would of tried to include all of the curve of the library roof.

More like this

I noticed that I had to straighten a couple of my pictures when I was editing...I always knew I was a little sideways! :) I didn't even realize I was cutting off the top of the Museum either so thanks for pointing that out! I guess I'll have to go back (hee hee - I'm such a nerd!;)) to get the whole thing! Thanks for pointing that out though! I'll watch myself next time!

Looks like a really cool place Stacey !! Gonna have to take that 1 1/2 hour drive north on 55 to check it out sometime..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back