"Ill have to ask for youre film as well..."

I know a person who is big time into photographing abandoned places. His strategy is to go there and fnd a way in in the early early morning (between 3-4am) and sitting it out and waiting for daylight, then you just have to find a way out. Or if the place is situated so that once you are in, no one can see you, you could always take flashlights and paint with light.

Take a friend and you may want to find a respirator mask or something you can use, depends on how "into" it you are going to get.

if you have the guts to do it again, just have two memory cards on hand, one with your pics, and the other with nothing, and if you see someone coming, just switch them.

Just be glad we live in a country with rights! My mother returned from africa a few months ago, mainly Uganda and surrounding areas. She said there were a few journalist there as well recording the genocide and ongoing political corruption during the voting. She told me about one day they were near a dirt road, one journalist had a canon 1 series camera. A government convoy ( usually one fancy car, and two or more pick-ups with AK-47 toting short tempered men ) was driving down the dirt road, the journalist got up on a small roof top to photograph the convoy, all of a sudden the convoy stops dead in its tracks and one of the AK-47 trucks ( lol ) pulls into the compound where they where. Two men with guns walk up the journalist and begin to yell at him in their native language. Someone that obvioulsy cared about his life, ran over to translate for him. They requested he hand over the film immediately or forceful action would be necessary. He tried to plea to them and explain that his camera is digital and didnt use film, and he showed them how he deleted the pictures in front of them. The two men thought it was trickery and told him that they were going to take the whole camera, including his L series lens!!!!! After all said and done, the man was left with just a camera bag! But he was able to keep his life, luckily. Some scary places out there in this world. My mom plans to go to the Congo later this year with her equipment. I dont know if i am up to going with her or not yet...

Just be glad we live in a country with rights! My mother returned from africa a few months ago, mainly Uganda and surrounding areas. She said there were a few journalist there as well recording the genocide and ongoing political corruption during the voting. She told me about one day they were near a dirt road, one journalist had a canon 1 series camera. A government convoy ( usually one fancy car, and two or more pick-ups with AK-47 toting short tempered men ) was driving down the dirt road, the journalist got up on a small roof top to photograph the convoy, all of a sudden the convoy stops dead in its tracks and one of the AK-47 trucks ( lol ) pulls into the compound where they where. Two men with guns walk up the journalist and begin to yell at him in their native language. Someone that obvioulsy cared about his life, ran over to translate for him. They requested he hand over the film immediately or forceful action would be necessary. He tried to plea to them and explain that his camera is digital and didnt use film, and he showed them how he deleted the pictures in front of them. The two men thought it was trickery and told him that they were going to take the whole camera, including his L series lens!!!!! After all said and done, the man was left with just a camera bag! But he was able to keep his life, luckily. Some scary places out there in this world. My mom plans to go to the Congo later this year with her equipment. I dont know if i am up to going with her or not yet...

Thats pretty rough. Ive been to Africa twice in the past couple years. Its a torn place. I have to say I had some really good times though. Of course I stayed in "safer" areas, even in Congo.
I definitely wouldn't attempt any "Ninja Photography" in many parts of Africa.

Thats pretty rough. Ive been to Africa twice in the past couple years. Its a torn place. I have to say I had some really good times though. Of course I stayed in "safer" areas, even in Congo.
I definitely wouldn't attempt any "Ninja Photography" in many parts of Africa.
Most definitely not, well, unless you get your chameleon outfit out from the dry cleaners...

Speaking of Ninja Photography, there is an abandoned paper mill from the late 80's early 90's near me by the river, might be good for some black and white industrial photos....

those countries where this sort of ninja photography can be very dangerous, are often also those countries where bribe money opens many doors.

There are countries where for a bit of "bakshish" you get rather far ;)

but I only reccomend this tactics if you know exactly what you are doing and have a feeling for the mentality in that country... if not it can also go horribly wrong, with your gear being confiscated and you ending up in prison ... if you are lucky ....

Didn't all the proms just happen? At least you'll have a whole year to find a new date.

The easy answer to that is:

"And I will have to refuse, as is my right."

skieur

Most reactions

Back