I'm a beginner, so why does the noise matter?

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I often read about in articles such as camera buying guides, talking about how noisy camera can be at high ISO or something like that... This might be a completely stupid question (or maybe not), but why does noise matter when taking a photograph?

I often read about in articles such as camera buying guides, talking about how noisy camera can be at high ISO or something like that... This might be a completely stupid question (or maybe not), but why does noise matter when taking a photograph?

You do realize "noise" in this context is a visual effect rather than audible?

You do realize "noise" in this context is a visual effect rather than audible?

I thought that too, maybe it meant grainy... lol
but this page -
Noise - DSLRs are generally more noisy to use than point and shoots. This will vary depending upon the lens you use but while point and shoots can be almost silent when taking a shot a DSLR will generally have a ‘clunk’ as the mechanisms inside it do their thing. I personally quite like this sound - but it’s something that is a factor for some.
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/should-you-buy-a-dslr-or-point-and-shoot-digital-camera/

I also came across many other websites talking about how noise can be a big disadvantage... I wasn't sure why noise mattered though?

Noise in photography.
Here is a link that will explain noise to you, as pertaining to photography.

I thought that too, maybe it meant grainy... lol
but this page -
Noise - DSLRs are generally more noisy to use than point and shoots. This will vary depending upon the lens you use but while point and shoots can be almost silent when taking a shot a DSLR will generally have a ‘clunk’ as the mechanisms inside it do their thing. I personally quite like this sound - but it’s something that is a factor for some.
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/should-you-buy-a-dslr-or-point-and-shoot-digital-camera/

I also came across many other websites talking about how noise can be a big disadvantage... I wasn't sure why noise mattered though?

There are some situations, weddings for example, where that mirror "clunking" can be a lot louder than you realize.

People are talking about two things:

Digital noise and Audio noise. A DSLR will have better digital noise performance (generally) than a P&S, and will also be "louder" a P&S which doesn't have the mechanical clunking as a DSLR

Back in ancient history when I was first involved in photography (read film) it was called grainy & an apt description in my opinion. When I reentered photography, now digital, I find the nomenclature less definitive & called noise. Now why is that? More political correctness?

Why not call a spade a spade?

a1157814a

You are right that seems silly, but there have been times where I wanted to take a picture of my daughter or take many to get a good one, and the first time the mirror goes up (click-click) it wakes her up and my chance is gone. Just one example. Of course my Canon Point and Shoot mimics that sound with an artificial click-click sound from a speaker that fools me into thinking I'm using a much better camera... LOL In a DSLR, there is a mirror behind the lens, which is what you see when your lens is removed, and the purpose of that mirror is to send the image up into the pentaprism and out the viewfinder to your eye so you can compose your shot. When the shutter release is pressed, that mirror has to be flipped up and out of the way in order for the sensor, which sits in the same location in the body that film used to, to "see" the picture and capture it. This happens very quickly and crisply and, therefore, makes a sound.

But the much more important noise to consider when buying a camera is the visible graininess in the picture in low light shots shot at high ISO settings. Just suffice it to say that the more you pay for your camera, generally, the less noisy and higher you can go in the ISO range before starting to affect picture quality.

Back in ancient history when I was first involved in photography (read film) it was called grainy & an apt description in my opinion. When I reentered photography, now digital, I find the nomenclature less definitive & called noise. Now why is that? More political correctness?

I believe its called noise now because of electronic terminology. Where grain seems to be a physical term. "Noise" is caused by an interference of electrical waves.

In film, grain is grain, but in digital noise is a combination of many noises, There is Luminance noise, noise from each color channel RGB, and probably other contributing factors that I don't know anything about. Much of this digital noise looks nothing like film grain, and they are all caused by different factors, hence using the term "noise" broadly to cover all of these undesirable conditions.

In film, grain is grain, but in digital noise is a combination of many noises, There is Luminance noise, noise from each color channel RGB, and probably other contributing factors that I don't know anything about. Much of this digital noise looks nothing like film grain, and they are all caused by different factors, hence using the term "noise" broadly to cover all of these undesirable conditions.

As much as I like your explanation the end result is that the picture looks grainy.

you understand it now?

it is funny to realize that the actual first post was in fact about noise you hear with your hears.. lol definitely made my night!

it is funny to realize that the actual first post was in fact about noise you hear with your hears.. lol definitely made my night!

Even funnier that you said, "Hear with your hears.." Should have been, "Hearers.." LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back