I'm a no-bull**** person...(rant)

OP, you got plenty to read and think about.

I would like to hear from you after you make some decisions :)

Stop reminding them, and let them watch you tear up the no-name assignments and throw them in the trash.

Give the offenders zero credit for those assignments...

Stop "suggesting", and start telling them what to do. When they fail to do that, give them no credit for that assignment...

Have you told them not to eat in class?

If not, do it, and then fail the first person who does it. Fail him for the entire semester.

Others will fall in line...

Please refer to breakfast notes...

Please refer to lunch notes...

Where in the Hell did they get the silly idea that deadlines were negotiable?

They're stupid. Fail them...

What's the mystery here? Scribbled notes are not an essay. Fail them...

What's the point of an easy test? That very idea is silly. Give them difficult tests and, when they do poorly, fail them...

Based on what? From the sound of it, you've got a student body made up of blockheads...

If I may speak frankly, it sounds as though you're allowing the students to dictate the terms of their education.

Stop doing that.

You're the professor, they're the students. You make the rules, not them. When they fail to adhere to the rules, they need to suffer the consequences, and those consequences need to be severe enough to capture everyone's attention...

^^^^BIIING!!

I am a mother, a grand mother and a teacher, and from my experience kids of all ages need to know 3 things
- They are loved (never make it personal)
- What the rules are (I learned from a 4H club that some of the leaders used an agreement signed by the kids to acknowledge the rules, stick to the rules like a lifeline)
- Action must be taken ( things don't come easy, effort is rewarded, laziness has consequences)

today's parents are so busy that it is not easy to make follow-ups on the rules, sometimes it is the institution that has to teach that to the kids, but what does your institution want?
As a teacher, what is required of you?
Is your work appreciated?
Do you need to come up with a certain success rate?
Do you have the freedom to make kids that don't follow the rules fail their class?

The system we live in needs good notes also to proove that they offer the proper education, what is the pressure put on your shoulders?
If you go to your superiors and ask them clearly here is what I intend to do, do you support me.... you may find it easier!

What's the mystery here? Scribbled notes are not an essay. Fail them...

Hahaha...agreed. You should start seeing a difference in attitude and performance once you start issuing zeros for crap papers.

Exactly.

I don't see the point in coddling students. If they're stupid, they need to know that they're stupid.

Fact is, most of them are probably quite intelligent, they just need to be grabbed by the short curlies and pulled back into line.

Blame the students for not following directions. Blame the teacher for allowing them to get away with it...

I never said I don't fail them or give them zero for crap. I do. If I show you the score list of my students, it's very ugly. Did I set the rules? I said it before. I did. However I shouldn't even have to. If college education has been degraded to middle school or elementary level, this is not acceptable. If we are expected to move backwards and hold them by their hands, and them train them until they are all mature enough to be the kind of adults the society needs, 4 years are not enough, because it will be high school + college. That's what the challenge is. It used to take 4 years to train a young adult to become capable work force. It will probably take double the time today, but we still only have 4 years, and in a time where there are fewer and fewer new borns and schools are starved of students to stay relevant, the priority is no longer "education". It's survival. This means schools want their programs to gear towards attracting more freshman, and make it almost impossible to kick any one out. The result is education can't produce the kind of talents that the industry needs. The industry lose faith in schools and cut off support to education, including collaboration efforts. The school continues to attract new students with false impression of the prospects of their programs and the industry suffers from a widening gap in recruiting new talents to sustain itself.

What I am frustrated is that the kind of future my retirement days will be is going to be terrible.

I never said I don't fail them or give them zero for crap. I do. If I show you the score list of my students, it's very ugly. Did I set the rules? I said it before. I did. However I shouldn't even have to. If college education has been degraded to middle school or elementary level, this is not acceptable. If we are expected to move backwards and hold them by their hands, and them train them until they are all mature enough to be the kind of adults the society needs, 4 years are not enough, because it will be high school + college. That's what the challenge is. It used to take 4 years to train a young adult to become capable work force. It will probably take double the time today, but we still only have 4 years, and in a time where there are fewer and fewer new borns and schools are starved of students to stay relevant, the priority is no longer "education". It's survival. This means schools want their programs to gear towards attracting more freshman, and make it almost impossible to kick any one out. The result is education can't produce the kind of talents that the industry needs. The industry lose faith in schools and cut off support to education, including collaboration efforts. The school continues to attract new students with false impression of the prospects of their programs and the industry suffers from a widening gap in recruiting new talents to sustain itself.

What I am frustrated is that the kind of future my retirement days will be is going to be terrible.

OIC, a lot of this starts with the parents. We got kids raising kids, parents who just don't care, and the entitled group. Parents now days don't want to be the disciplinarians either like their parents and dedicate them selves to giving their child everything they never had. All I can say is keep issuing zeros until they start producing something worthy or otherwise they fail. The kids may not care but who ever is paying the bills should take notice.

I am sure you are trying to do everything you can but are frustrated. Holding up a paper with no name on it and saying, "hmmm, too bad here, someone who got an A, doesn't even know it, and neither do I ", might let something sink in also.
i give all teachers credit and thank you!
Nancy

My son was diagnosed with A.D.D. in 5th or 6th grade - unfortunately after some years of getting yelled out and being put on restrictions. It was tough to decide whether to give him meds or not. It was easy to take a parenting class and learn that it was my job to figure out what made him tick. We are all not created or wired equally.

BTW now he is 15 and the yelling and restrictions have started again - for really stupid shtuff he does :banghead:

I had a student who was ADHD. I gave him silly putty and comics to play with during class. His brain was still processing the information being taught while he could stimulate his need for activity. This doesn't work for everyone but it's out of the box thinking that produces results.

While this seems like it could be part of a joke (there's more than a few about ADHD and silly putty), these kinds of things work. I was diagnosed with it when I was in first grade and thrown on meds immediately. They did nothing for me, but small, detailed projects like building models are what helped me learn to cope. Unfortunately, recent information indicates that my diagnosis was completely wrong, and the ADHD-like symptoms are caused by something that would not have manifested in a diagnosable way at age 6. We'll see what that turns out to be... :neutral: :crazy:

I also gave my son a little ball that had gel or puddy in it. It did help to stimulate him and somehow make him concentrate more or better. He used to fiddle with his pencil and spent much of homework time picking the pencil off the floor.

Anyone that joined the US military ( I did so i can only speak about American Military) will know. You know the rules, if you dont follow them, you are punished. If you then dont follow the rules, you are punished harder.... and so on. Following rules is one thing, being able to keep up is totally different. If your students simply arent following known rules, then they need to be punished. If they cant keep up, its up to them to come to you. You are a teacher, not a babysitter.

Well for one thing it's faked. That's not to say that teachers all care deeply.

Anyone that joined the US military ( I did so i can only speak about American Military) will know. You know the rules, if you dont follow them, you are punished. If you then dont follow the rules, you are punished harder.... and so on. Following rules is one thing, being able to keep up is totally different. If your students simply arent following known rules, then they need to be punished. If they cant keep up, its up to them to come to you. You are a teacher, not a babysitter.

God country and Corps!! We need structure like the military, and get America as a whole back up and lifting learning and dominating again! Oo

P.S. Regardless of my little pep talk. I respect everyone from everywhere. Bacon and beer helps diplomacy.

Well for one thing it's faked. That's not to say that teachers all care deeply.

Even if it's not faked, it doesn't mean that it was written by a crappy teacher who doesn't care. We don't know the relationship between this teacher and student. I tell my students that any attempt to fluff out the writing just to increase their word count will result in me simply crossing out the unnecessary crap and subtracting those words from the total word count (I give word limits, not page limits). If I had a student who wrote a good paper overall but was still having problems with this, and if the student had the kind of personality that could take this sort of lesson+gentle teasing, I could totally see myself writing this comment just to make a point.

True, some teachers don't care that much. Others do care quite a bit but might get to a breaking point. They start out caring but then are faced with years of thankless work and all the blame for anything that goes wrong. There's a reason that teachers burn out so quickly and leave the profession.

After months of writing on a student's paper that he needs to STOP writing thesis statements like, "In this essay, I will write about the causes of obesity," he was still writing them. It was clear as day that he was not reading any of my comments - just checking the grade and stuffing it in his bag. I gave him one more chance and wrote, "If you have a thesis statement like this in the next essay, you will receive an F for that assignment. READ MY COMMENTS." Guess what? He didn't. He got an F, plus the comment, "You clearly don't care, so I'll won't either."

Some teachers don't care. This is true. But neither do a lot of students.

Most reactions

Back