I'm a no-bull**** person...(rant)

MC, I do agree you should become more strict and take charge. Take time to list and say the Do's and Don'ts ...for college kids. "If you're going to be my class, you're going to learn..period! Cellphones on vibrate, tablets down, laptops off!!". "If you're going to be late, you got 5 minutes before I lock the door". No materials, no completed work, don't bother coming into my classroom!". "If you dislike my rules of my class?", "So ****ing what and go flip burgers for the rest of your life!".....problem solved.

I taught in a rural elementary school for a year before this for next to nothing and it was very fulfilling. Those kids don't have much at all. Most of them don't even have their parents with them, but they are generally eager learners and really fun to teach. I even learned a lot from them.

Then I moved back into the city. I was getting ready to start my own business, but since I am "new" to this country, I took this teaching job that was offered to me out of expectation. I thought, I like to teach, and I need a start to at least take some time to gain knowledge about local industry and build connections. Plus, the school I am teaching at is supposed to be the top design school here, any where else can be worse. So that's why I am here. I am not concerned about the pay now. If I did I would have gone back to the corporate world. What I care is if I am happy doing what I do because I put in so much effort into everything I do. When things don't turn out anywhere close to expectation, all these little negative things come back.... you know, like a couple in heated argument, every little mistakes you made becomes the fuel.

I do make rules for my classes. However, I also told them that if I had to use hard rules to regulate their behaviors, they are better off be back in high school. I don't want to insult them like that. I said this hoping that they will have some self-respect.

When I taught in the elementary school, I customized my approach to each individual. The main principle that I employed was to help them build confidence by showing them that they too can succeed. The result was great and I thought the same will apply to college students. I thought wrong. These kids who came in with top grades aren't thinkers, let alone independent thinkers. They've been told what's right and wrong their whole life, never had to figure anything out themselves, and think they can take everything for granted. I had a student told me that she thought school and teachers are supposed to tell them the answer. I said school provides a safe learning environment where you can afford to fail. Teachers provide you the opportunity to learn and grow by providing knowledge and techniques. If you don't take the initiative to utilize these resources, that's your own fault.

I guess they think that by getting admitted into the school, and safely graduate from it, they are automatically labeled as a designer and entitled to a design job. Why not? Their parents have paid for it right?

My parents also paid for my education, but I never took it for granted. I knew how hard it was to have what I had. I saw how my classmates struggled, not because of school, but basic living resources that hindered them from being more successful. I also saw how students from other countries worked so hard. It's hard not to realize that you need to work damn hard to be in the league you hope to be in. I hope to share this perspective with my students. I tried, but I don't really know if they see what I see.

The problem that the industry is facing right now isn't about not enough jobs to go around. The industry can't find qualified people to do the jobs. Yet graduated students think that the industry isn't giving them a chance that they deserve.

Have to jump in :) This is kind of flammable theme for me, I could talk/write about it on and on and on...

OP, have you decided what kind of teacher are you?

I'm strict, serious and sometimes, when I see opportunity I'm funny, but not to long. That is who I am when teach something, that is who I am in life in general. If I'm in class as a student I don't eat, I participate, learn or travel in my head if I'm not interested in subject matter. But never never eat, my parents thought me that it is rude and unacceptable. And frankly, I wouldn't tolerate it.
I blame parenting and educational system more then a teacher itself, but with that said I blame teachers as well.

I'm so frustrated with educational system in my country! Everything was ok-ish until few years ago when private schools/colleges started to emerge. Now everyone has a diploma and for a short period of time, if they have money to "rush" trough the college. The best part is that this is a public secret, sort of. Everyone knows what is going on but politics keep those schools working still.
I was invited to teach on a private college (yeah, that sort of private college). Teaching part was interesting for me, to see if I am capable to do that, so I accepted to teach few classes, with no payment. My first class was in front of about 60 students, more than half of them were older than me (I'm 30) they were surprised how young I am, some of them tried to be kind of loose, but I automatically dived into my strict mood and they backed off. Those one and a half hour went great. They participated, we smiled, but I showed them who is a teacher and who is a student. They were approaching me afterwards to ask me if I would stay on the college.
So, I nailed it. I was so proud of myself. That was my first time in front of that big group Rest of teaching classes went great too....so, teaching is great! I'll accept to teach here :) but...

Next tasks were shocking for me. I had to give grades for their assignments and I was lost...I was.... no words to express... Their assignments deserved F, all of them! Among everything else they don't know basic grammar! Editing text in ms word, what is that!? They behave like in kindergarten. "Look professor, I printed a picture on front page". And experiences wit few final thesis, before they got their diploma.....can't write...grrrr!

Salary would be great, but I would hated myself. Couldn't do it! Turned them down! Even though I wasn't in a great money situation. But, that's who I am.

Now, present time. I have new job, they signed me office temporarily because soon we'll be moving to new building. So with me, in my office there is an intern. The intern has a degree in IT ( a private college but maybe he knows something), great I thought :)
After few days he brought a printer, to see what is wrong with it. Half an hour he was doing something, and finally asked me: "Sorry... could you tell me what is cyan?" What, I said, come again? he asked again and told me that on monitor there is a message about cyan and he doesn't know what that is!!!!!???? after few seconds he asked: "is there something called magenta?"

Last edited:
At least he asked. My students don't even do that.
Well let's hope your students will know at least some basics after they have a diploma :)

My intern graduated in IT and doesn't know very basic things. I could write more examples but in five minutes my working day will be finished, which means that I'll go offline.

Last edited:
OP-

I understand your frustration- you're sitting there, wondering if these kids even care enough to make teaching worth your time. Don't let that detract from what you're doing. Some kids will get it, some won't. Some never will, some will eventually.

I was a part of that when I was in college.

I was never really a good student. In high school I messed around with girls, hanging out at the beach and playing soccer. I was always bright, but lazy as could be when it came to school. My parents didn't go to college and really had no advice for me. It didn't matter- I got into a large, D1 school and had the same work ethic as in HS. I wasn't entitled, nor thought I was- I just didn't care, really. All I cared about was playing soccer.

I finally got my chance to walk-on to the soccer team. I was a stand-out at try-outs and immediately knew I would it. Two days later, I got an e-mail from the assistant coach saying, "Come see me in my office to go over paperwork." I was ecstatic! I walked in the door, transcripts from the last semester in hand, and sat with him. He saw that I had gotten a "D" in my organic chem class and looked at me in the eyes and said, "Why'd you even waste our f**king time?, these grades aren't good enough" and asked me to leave.

It wasn't until that moment that everything academically changed for me (it finally made sense). I did much better, graduated with a good degree and found a great career in the medical field. However, I had to pay for all of my own schooling (since my parents didn't have the means to help). I'm still regretting that mistake (not doing well enough for scholarships) every month.

The point of my whole story is that no matter how hard you try, some kids will either not care or do enough to make you feel like you're a good teacher. Move past that and continue to do your job. They'll eventually figure it out on their own- sooner or later, because graduating doesn't equate to real-world success. We all know it's rough outside of the academic bubble.

Remember this: It's not your job to make them successful, but rather to give them the tools and skills to do so on their own! They'll be one or two that make it really worth it.

I do make rules for my classes. However, I also told them that if I had to use hard rules to regulate their behaviors, they are better off be back in high school. I don't want to insult them like that. I said this hoping that they will have some self-respect.

I understand, you shouldn't have to hammer College kids with rules. All my professors allowed food and drinks but we never used class as a means of eating lunch or dinner. We took stuff like a coke, water or coffee and sometimes a snack food but something small and nothing distracting. Heck, I can't recall a professor ever mentioning anything about food and drinks after the first day of class. So I would be frustrated as well if I was in your shoes.

The notion that people have 'learning styles' is more psychology bull**** that just gives people an excuse for avoiding the hard work it actually takes to learn anything useful.

I can't disagree with you more. I myself struggled through most of school. Not because I am stupid. I have a severe reading comprehension issue. I can not learn from reading. Show me anything and I remember it forever. I have taught myself several computer coding languages, everything I know about computers I taught myself. Which is a lot. Now that I am older and going back to school to get a degree, I actually find online college to be easy because I have a book, and the assignments, and I teach myself the class. Structured learning didnt work for me. I know how to teach myself whatever I need, but a classroom setting where everything is structured and made to be taught to everyone, I fail every time or just barely pass. Now that I can teach myself what I need to know, I hold a 3.8. I am the perfect example why one size fits all is a bad idea. I have an above average IQ and more technical knowledge from 3 different careers than most people, I excel at damn near everything I do. But I cant learn from the typical methods.

Last edited:
The notion that people have 'learning styles' is more psychology bull**** that just gives people an excuse for avoiding the hard work it actually takes to learn anything useful.

I can't disagree with you more. I myself struggled through most of school. Not because I am stupid. I have a severe reading comprehension issue. I can not learn from reading. Show me anything and I remember it forever. I have taught myself several computer coding languages, everything I know about computers I taught myself. Which is a lot. Now that I am older and going back to school to get a degree, I actually find online college to be easy because I have a book, and the assignments, and I teach myself the class. Structured learning didnt work for me. I know how to teach myself whatever I need, but a classroom setting where everything is structured and made to be taught to everyone, I fail every time or just barely pass. Now that I can teach myself what I need to know, I hold a 3.8. I am the perfect example why one size fits all is a bad idea. I have an above average IQ and more technical knowledge from 3 different careers than most people, I excel at damn near everything I do. But I cant learn from the typical methods.

I'm not sure if I qualify for a different learning style but I had issues with general school, especially High School. I was undiagnosed A.D.D which didn't help either. Anyhow, I ended up dropping out of high school after struggling two years in the 10th grade and working on my second year of 11th. For me, dropping out of school was the best thing I ever did. I took a couple years off from school and got really involved in working. I was making decent money but decided I need to do something with my life. So I got my GED and signed up for College. College fit me like a glove and I had a blast...I don't mean partying either. I ended up with some really good professors who really cared about teaching. I maintained a 3.5 GPA...and that was even after being unmedicated for my A.D.D.

College freshman especially can have a hard time transitioning from a high school setting to college. They are not used to taking responsibility for their own work. I agree that it seems wrong to be so authoritarian with people that should be 'adults' but some of them still really need that structure. You shouldn't HAVE to hammer them with rules, but the reality is that it's still necessary, even when they are older students.

Of course, there's a limit.

I'm strict with my rules that I care about but not in the sense that I will hound the students until they comply. They have a clear choice: follow the rules or don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. Many of them are quite surprised by this. I keep reminding them that a college education - despite what they have been told - is optional. When they ask me, 'Do I have to do X?" I usually tell them, "You don't HAVE to do a damn thing. If you choose not to do it, I'm not going to call your parents or send you to the principal's office. But I'm also not going to give you credit or another chance. Do it and get a grade. Don't do it, don't get a grade. Your choice. Just live with the consequences either way."

As I said, I really don't care about eating, though I actually haven't encountered it all that much. Mostly people just have a snack or a drink, not a full meal. I also teach a lot of evening classes, and many of my students are coming straight from work and haven't had a chance to eat. It's not fair for me to tell them to suck it up and wait another 2.5-3 hours to eat something. If they are sitting there starving, they're not going to be able to concentrate. Most of them still manage to grab a quick bite on the way over or in the cafeteria a few minutes before class starts, but every once in a while, one of them just needs to eat their sandwich in class, or be late. I've never seen a student so distracted by their potato chips that they couldn't eat and listen at the same time.

One thing I am strict about, though, is cell phones. If they simply can't live without their cell phone, I tell them to leave. As a teacher, I expect their attention should be on me or their work, so put the damned things away. Some of them say it's off, so why can't they just leave it on the desk? If it's off, why do you need it out? And I'm a major PITA about it too. If I see a phone, I'll stop whatever we're doing until the student puts it away. If I'm lecturing and I see someone texting under the desk, I stop and ask them why their hands are under the desk and they're staring at their crotch. I don't care if it's a problem student or a good student, I'll hound them to keep the phones away.

I'm in the position of both teaching classes and taking classes at the same school. When I'm sitting in the class as a student, it astounds me how lax the other teachers are about the cell phones. Some students sit there completely oblivious to the lesson and just play with their phones for the whole time. I can't understand how the teacher allows it. If someone doesn't care about the lesson, why are they there??

Once again, it's about picking your battles that are the most important to you. Make the rules and stick to them.

People DO have different learning styles. They have different strengths and weaknesses. The problem with this is how it is supposed to be dealt with in a classroom. A teacher can't diagnose every student's learning style and tailor lessons to fit every single style. It's not practical. They can certainly vary presentation of information or types of assignments, but it's true that some students just don't have a good fit with a traditional classroom. A lot of educational theory will say that the classroom has to change, but I'm not convinced that's the answer. I think we need to have more viable and respected options other than the college classroom to learn or train for a profession. As it is, there are more and more 'square pegs' trying to fit themselves through a round hole because they've been inundated their entire lives with the message that they can't 'be someone' without a college education.

Last edited:
Well I hope your students will know at least some basics after they have a diploma :)

My intern graduated in IT and doesn't know very basics things. I could write more examples but in five minutes my working day will be finished, which means that I'll go offline.

You buy me a case if Sam's and I'll get a SOHO up and working by the end of the work day!! lol.

Well let's hope your students will know at least some basics after they have a diploma :)

My intern graduated in IT and doesn't know very basic things. I could write more examples but in five minutes my working day will be finished, which means that I'll go offline.

You buy me a case if Sam's and I'll get a SOHO up and working by the end of the work day!! lol.

It's a deal! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back