Im back. Did you guy miss me? Check out my first baby photoshoot!

RumDaddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Last fall I was spending alot of time on here as well as working on improving my off the hook madd photo skills. :er: Im self employed and things picked up at work for the fall & first half of winter. But their slow again, so Im diving back into my love of photography and picking up where I left off.

Heres some images from my first actual photo shoot! Please keep in mind, they wernt paying customers. They basically let me experiment on their baby. In return for the photos that were good enough to keep.

105cga.jpg

landon309.jpg

landon336.jpg

landon290.jpg

landon349.jpg

landon232.jpg

First one for me. I got another practice shoot lined up for tomorrow night. The baby is much younger so Im gonna try some fancy B n Ws. Plus. BONUS! They got a 5 yr old and both the parents will be home so I can practice on both the baby and the boy as well as both parent.

WISH ME LUCK! Cuz I still feel as if I dont have a clue on what Im doing! LOL!

Now this might just be my monitor, but they all seem a bit (or more than a bit) over exposed. The first shot even more than the others...

#4 looks to be your best shot.

p!nK

I would say that they are nice exposed. But they seem a bit out of focus. Or is it just me?

His eyes are amazing! I'm looking to do something like this with my niece. Where did you get the backdrops?

You have a great subject to work with. His eyes are beautiful.

Now this might just be my monitor, but they all seem a bit (or more than a bit) over exposed. The first shot even more than the others...

#4 looks to be your best shot.

p!nK

i like them, but they do look to bright to even look at. it hurts my eyes!

The first is the only that looks out of focus to me.. the others are a bit bright, but nothing adjusting levels in photoshop wouldn't fix for me? Maybe thats the beginner in me, but as long as I can fix it when I upload to my computer I see no issue.

yeha i think they are all flat.
they need a good levels adjustment or contrast bump.
cute kid.

The first one is out of focus, and they all are a bit over exposed.
If your working with digital I would recommending underexposing (just a tiny bit) rather than over exposing. If you over expose all the Photoshop work will never get the blown out bits back. Also, in number 5 the lights were a bit high (not much of a "spark" in his eyes aka catch lights). In #6 there is a bright white string next to his back leg, quite distracting. Just before you shoot (if they aren't too sqirmmy) check the details. Over all though the poses are nice and the Lights are generally at the right height.

The first one is out of focus, and they all are a bit over exposed.
If your working with digital I would recommending underexposing (just a tiny bit) rather than over exposing. If you over expose all the Photoshop work will never get the blown out bits back. Also, in number 5 the lights were a bit high (not much of a "spark" in his eyes aka catch lights). In #6 there is a bright white string next to his back leg, quite distracting. Just before you shoot (if they aren't too sqirmmy) check the details. Over all though the poses are nice and the Lights are generally at the right height.

I am truly new at this. I basically fart around with the settings until it looks best. Experimenting on my wife, then I bring the kid in. How do I underexpose them or make sure their not over exposed. Which setting do I turn up or down.

Thanks again.

Turn your ISO down or use a higher f-stop to make the photos slightly darker.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the double highlights in the kid's eyes are weird to me. I'd move one of your flashes closer and one farther away or something to make it look like something other than 2 white dots in his eyes.

BACK AT IT!!!!

I was way off for this one. Felt the other shoot with Landon was much more successful. This one I just felt out of the loop and off of my game. As if I have game. This is only my second photo shoot. But here they are for your constructive criticism! Please dont beat me up that bad! LOL!

FYI I dont like the white backdrop. I feel as if I cant dial the settings in right. I like the blue BD much better and even the black one is easier to work with then the plain simple white one!

GOOSESbaby205.jpg

bnwfeet.jpg

g5.jpg

g6.jpg

g8.jpg

And like I said Im just learning and this was another freeby. I got paid in BEER! LOL! I also know there are some stain on the backdrops as wellas the blemish on her nose. I can photoshop them out at a later date!

maybe it's just my monitor, but the first one still looks a tad overexposed. Also, it has a hard time displaying ALL THAT PINK lol

#2 looks weird, but only because of the snuggie craze

#3 is by far the best, although I'd experiment with a different crop, maybe taking some off of the left, and leaving some space on the right for us to wonder what he's looking at.

in the last one, the lighting is great on mom, but super flat on baby. I am not sure how you'd fix that, as I'm no good at studio shots.

this is my favorite pose of your first series- I liked the balls but the background is already SO busy that the balls got lost visually. At this tighter crop it starts to pixelate since I don't have the original file, but I think it shows how you can put the focus more on the baby rather than the background. I also added some contrast for pop.
landon349.jpg

Most reactions

Back