im getting pissed...

M

MDowdey

how do i change something to 8.5 x 11 in photoshop for printing? when i go to image--image size...my 10D file is at 8.5 x 12.7something...how can i change it to 8.5 x 11 and not lose the scale of it? i dont want people getting thin or stretching..

md

I think you have to crop it. You can either use the crop tool, then enter the dimensions you want in the bar at the top, and then drag the area on the image you want to crop it to; or you can go to Imgae -> Canvas Size, and change the dimensions.

Yah, either make a new canvas the size of what you want your print to be and move your file into there and adjust for cropping, or after you hit the crop tool, enter your height, width and dpi values in the boxes provided below the drop down menu thingys (File, edit and that stuff)

I hope I didnt add to the confusion lol

Easiest way for me is to CROP at 8.5x11 @300 dpi for printing.

If you resize you need to put a check in the box that say "CONSTRAIN PROPORTIONS". This prevents the squeezing you were talking about.

BUT, depending on the proportions of the original image you may wind up with a size other than what you desire. One side may be too big andother too little.

So the crop tool is probably the best way to go.

rangefinder said:
Easiest way for me is to CROP at 8.5x11 @300 dpi for printing.

If you resize you need to put a check in the box that say "CONSTRAIN PROPORTIONS". This prevents the squeezing you were talking about.

BUT, depending on the proportions of the original image you may wind up with a size other than what you desire. One side may be too big andother too little.

So the crop tool is probably the best way to go.

once that happen to me ... and i disable it the CONSTRAIN PROPORTIONS and worked fine for me........

I create a new canvas with the size I want (8.5 x 11 @ 300 ppi) then I cut and paste my photo onto the new canvas and move it around to get the crop that I think is best.

thanks for the tips everyone!!! the prints turned out AWESOME!!!

M
D

I don't know about y'all but I print at 600dpi instead of 300.... maybe I'm crazy but I think it looks MUCH better!

i wonder what the maximum res the human eye can comprehend? 600 seems a bit much! i printed something by accident at 180dpi and it was bangin.

m
d

An 8x10 at 600 dpi is 16x20 at 300 dpi. You'd need quite a bit of interpolation to get a 6mp image up there. I don't think it's worth it for an 8x10 to degrade your quality first, only then to increase the print quality.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back