I'm goin ULTRA WIDE.

llamallama

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm in the market for an ultra wide lens and I've come up with 3 possible choices. I'm just wondering which you guys would think is the best buy and if you have any critiques about any of these lenses. Thanks!

Lenses are as following:
USED Nikon 10-24
NEW Tokina 11-16
or
NEW Sigma 10-20

Tell me about your experiences with these lenses, thanks!

FM Reviews -
More reviews than you will want to read. Me I like fast glass so I choose the Tokina 11-16 f2.8.

My vote is for the Nikkor. Of course, I'm biased.

I can honestly say the 10-24 is an excellent lens. I have used one. I am selling one! lol! The only reason I am selling it is because I have a D4 FF on order.. that should be here any day. And I am planning on picking up a 14-24.

The Nikon lenses focus more accurately and faster than any of the third party lenses I have used... and they have great IQ!

Check it out..... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/272985-fs-nikon-10-24mm-f-3-5-4-5g-ed-af-s-dx-lens.html (images included.. not just mine, but some other awesome images also!)

I can honestly say the 10-24 is an excellent lens. I have used one. I am selling one! lol! The only reason I am selling it is because I have a D4 FF on order.. that should be here any day. And I am planning on picking up a 14-24.

The Nikon lenses focus more accurately and faster than any of the third party lenses I have used... and they have great IQ!

Check it out..... http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/272985-fs-nikon-10-24mm-f-3-5-4-5g-ed-af-s-dx-lens.html (images included.. not just mine, but some other awesome images also!)
Your listing is really what got me to think about buying an ultra-wide. I would love to own your 10-24, but I'm almost obsessively trying to decide which lens is better suited for me. Maybe we can talk more in PM?

Your listing is really what got me to think about buying an ultra-wide. I would love to own your 10-24, but I'm almost obsessively trying to decide which lens is better suited for me. Maybe we can talk more in PM?

Here.. or PM! Your call! :)

they are all GOOD lenses.. just one is a NIKON! ;)

Oh...I thought maybe you were gonna' buy the Sigma 4.5mm like our esteemed member from Oslo,Norway...

I will usually always say nikon but the Tokina are "The" best wide angle lenses for cost and build and image quality for the DX sensor. I will stand by my tokina 100%. Do some research tokina vs nikon vs tamron vs sigma and you will find the info consistent through out the net in regards to tokina UW lens.

I have the 12-24 because I do not need 2.8 that the 11-16 offers. Both tokina offer constant arpeture through out the zoom nikon, tamron and sigma do not. Tokina is built like a tank and the barrel does not extend when focusing which helps with sucking in dust.

If I was to buy another UW it would be the sigma 8-16mm as it is the widest UW you can get for the DX and it has a new and better glass than the previous models. The barrel does not extend.....I have heard good things about this lens but I am very skeptical about sigma as I have also read quality control sucks...when you get a good one it is superb....

Cheers and good luck!!

I will usually always say nikon but the Tokina are "The" best wide angle lenses for cost and build and image quality for the DX sensor. I will stand by my tokina 100%. Do some research tokina vs nikon vs tamron vs sigma and you will find the info consistent through out the net in regards to tokina UW lens.

I have the 12-24 because I do not need 2.8 that the 11-16 offers. Both tokina offer constant arpeture through out the zoom nikon, tamron and sigma do not. Tokina is built like a tank and the barrel does not extend when focusing which helps with sucking in dust.

If I was to buy another UW it would be the sigma 8-16mm as it is the widest UW you can get for the DX and it has a new and better glass than the previous models. The barrel does not extend.....I have heard good things about this lens but I am very skeptical about sigma as I have also read quality control sucks...when you get a good one it is superb....

Cheers and good luck!!

when and IF you get a good one! ;) I do like the Sigma 50mm 1.4.. but that and some of their long macros, are the only Sigma's I would own. I have known people to go through five of the same lenses trying to get a sharp one , with no focusing and backfocus issues. It is called the Sigma LOTTERY for a reason! lol!

I have been a Tokina fan since the early 80's.. but I still say the nikon focuses more accurately and faster than ANY third partly lens.

I am no pro by no means and I have been shooting with nikon since the D50 was announced and only bought nikon, I am biased but, this tokina lens I have just works and works very well.

Only thing about that expensive 10-24 nikon is the way they made it. I think for the price they charge new they could have done a little more engineering to keep the barrel from extending when zooming. If tokina could so could they. Its the name you are paying for in this case when it comes to UW dx lenses.

I would rather save my money and invest it in a 14-24 and jump up to full frame if I was going to spend $900 on a nikon lens. When nikon can build a pro lens UW for DX sensors is when I will go that route.

It would be so cool if Nikon built the 10-24 just like the 14-24 with nano crystal but then I suppose why would you go full frame right. It is all about marketing. I understand that most folks that buy dx body's don't want to pay the price for FF pro lenses.

I do agree though most NIKONs are better than any third party lens and you know it works and will work with future model body's something that third party brands can not guarantee.

Oh...I thought maybe you were gonna' buy the Sigma 4.5mm like our esteemed member from Oslo,Norway...

am with Derrel on this one , and frankly I was/not a fan of ultra wide until i saw this work.

Don't go sigma I've got the 10-20 unless u wanna shoot f8-11 all the time. Side note want to buy mine lol?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back