I'm intimidated!

Thank you guys for ALL your help. You all have helped me start off with great ideas. I think I will start with the Nikon D80 and start with graduation pictures, schools, pets etc. and then once i'm more comfortable with taking pictures move up to the Nikon D200 for weddings and then i'll have 2 cameras for weddings (one camera for my back up camera.) (well that is my game plan, it's all in the Lord's hands)

Aaron I love your pictures. I hope to some day take pictures like yours! Boclcown, I was looking at your photo and I was wondering with your closes ups on the flowers did you use a macro lense?

My next questions are now for the lights? flashes? unbrellas, backdrops? I know I can make my own backdrops for alot less money, I heard at one point that the battery for the lights are just as expensive as the light them self, is this true? and for a studio set up what is the price I'm looking at spending for the lights, backdrops, unbrellas etc.?

For lighting, if I was going to go out and furnish a studio today the first place I'd stop is alienbees and check out the Busy Bee package:
http://www.alienbees.com/busy.html For $1700, I think it would be a very good start and include most everything you need for a good while and may be all you need period. As for backdrops, I'm not sure what to advise you on that. B&H has a section for this as do other companies. It all depends on your checkbook.

I think you are looking at an investment of around $4000.00.

Although I shoot with a D200 and love it. A D80 is not a bad choice. Just remember that the D80 uses SD cards and the D200 uses CF.

Although primes are a great choice and I won't discourage you on these, another choice for portraits maybe (thinking budget here) a Tamron 28-75 2.8. It gives you a little more working room depending on your space and is easily used for weddings if you start doing them.

Get a flash and diffuser for fill while doing outdoor shots.

Alien Bees all the way here. I think you should start with 3 lights. And get a decent flash meter.

Remember, good backgrounds are not that cheap. But bad backgrounds look cheap.

Learn photo processing! This is where you can seperate yourself from other photographers.

Thank you for taking the time to do for me. I will take all the advice and suggestions into my decision on what I'm going to do and buy!

Thanks again,
Mel

aaronphoto nz said:
I was mainly referring to the way you like to use your equipment, not necessarily the subject matter. Some people like using prime lenses, some don't. Some people use telephotos for sports, nature etc. It is really up to the individual to find out for themselves what they need. I have a personal preference for available or constant light with my work. Not that there is anything wrong with speedlights / flash units. Its just what I prefer. http://www.aaronphoto.co.nz currently all work viewed here, are available light shots.
I enjoyed going through your portfolio! :thumbup:

Welcome to the TPF! :)

Most reactions

Back