I'm looking to upgrade

Aaron Bove

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, so for the last probably two years I've been using a pretty good cannon camera the SX40 Power Shot to take all of my photos (that's a lie I use my phone too) but I can't swap lenses on it and I'm kind of just growing out of it. My question to you is what is the best intermediate camera that won't brake the bank, my price range is $0-$1,000. I went to my local photo/video shop and the man there said that he liked Fuji film cameras (and tbh I love the vintage look of them but I'm trying not to Incorporated that into my decision) but i would like some more opinions. I mainly take pictures of nature (sunsets, trees, lakes, oceans, etc) but I'm also trying to learn how to take good portraits but that's less of a priority.

Attachments

• IMG_2668.JPG
    IMG_2668.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2673.JPG
    IMG_2673.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 153
  • IMG_2931.JPG
    IMG_2931.JPG
    560.8 KB · Views: 172
Is size and weight an issue for you.
Example do you hike/bike a lot, where weight to carry and bulk to fit into the pack is a major consideration.​
Medium to wide shots, any distant shots?
How long are you away from AC power?
Is the $1,000 budget camera + ONE lens, or entire kit camera + lensES ?

Is size and weight an issue for you.
Example do you hike/bike a lot, where weight to carry and bulk to fit into the pack is a major consideration.​
Medium to wide shots, any distant shots?
How long are you away from AC power?
Is the $1,000 budget camera + ONE lens, or entire kit camera + lensES ?

Size/weight is not an issue as long as I can put it in a backpack type case. I’m almost never away from a Power source for more than 1-2days and the $1,000 budget is camera+1 lens. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Nikon D5600 + 18-140.
You can get a refurbished one for $680.

Or the similar Canon T7i + 18-135.
Refurbished for $684.

I would NOT get one of the 2-lens kits; camera + 18-55 + 70-300.
The problems is the 2nd lens, the 70-300 is NOT stabilized. This is done to make the package hit a price point, not to give the customer a good lens. The Problem is, the longer lens NEEDS stabilization more than the short 18-55 lens.

I upgraded from my Canon sx20, it was a great camera so I decided to stay with Canon, I went with a t6i but it was just over a year ago, so the equivalent today would be the t7i.
Mine was a two lens kit with an 18-55, and 55-250, both have image stabilization.
If I were to do it over today I would get one with an 18-135. it's a pain to be constantly swapping lenses just because you want a little more reach than the 55 mm on the smaller lens, but then you need a wider then so you got to switch back....

As your first "real" camera I would probably go with the t7i. The 77d or 80d are both quite a bit better but also cost more. As a relative beginner you are unlikely to miss the extra features IMO. The t7i has some huge upgrades over my t6i... I'm waiting for the 90d to come out to upgrade though.... Assuming it does 4K video that is....

I upgraded from my Canon sx20, it was a great camera so I decided to stay with Canon, I went with a t6i but it was just over a year ago, so the equivalent today would be the t7i.
Mine was a two lens kit with an 18-55, and 55-250, both have image stabilization.
If I were to do it over today I would get one with an 18-135. it's a pain to be constantly swapping lenses just because you want a little more reach than the 55 mm on the smaller lens, but then you need a wider then so you got to switch back....

As your first "real" camera I would probably go with the t7i. The 77d or 80d are both quite a bit better but also cost more. As a relative beginner you are unlikely to miss the extra features IMO. The t7i has some huge upgrades over my t6i... I'm waiting for the 90d to come out to upgrade though.... Assuming it does 4K video that is....

+1 on the 18-135
It is a good GP lens.
That is the standard lens that the local high school yearbook has on their T7i. And it does 90% of what they need. The kids like not having to hassle with changing lenses, like they had to with the 18-55.

I would suggest getting a refurbed or used body and with the savings, get a lens that is faster than the kit lenses that come with most cameras.

The nifty 50 (F 1.8) is just over $100 new and would be great on a crop sensor for the portraits you are interested in. You will never regret having at least one fast lens.

As for bodies, I shoot Canon and have several including the T7i. It is excellent but I prefer the layout of the XXD and XD series. The 77D is a compromise between a T7i and 80D. You might check out Canon's refurb program.

I know some on the forum really like the ergonomics of Fuji cameras. Perhaps someone here can tell you what they like about them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back