I'm losing my d***n mind. Help me pick.

Which should I use for my "About Me" page and in my Senior Magazine?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

e.rose

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.emilymcgonigle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've had a rough day for no other reason than it was a seriously annoying day.

Went to Kroger after church... realized I didn't have my wallet.

Went home. Got my wallet. Went to Kroger. Got home... realized I left my prescription in the checkout lane.

Went to Kroger. Got my prescription back. Came home... spilled lots of stuff, broke a few things... just... it was just a Murphy's Law day.

And then I spent the later part of the evening stressing about pricing and senior model programs and I MIGHT have had a slight mental breakdown... that my husband lovingly fixed with what he calls his "Good Mood Cocktail", which consisted of St. Johns Wort and 5-HTP, a hug, a kiss, and reassurance that I'm overthinking literally all things, and that sh*t takes time, and I'm doing just fine.

That being said... after taking a break and playing a nerdy game of Hearthstone, where I proceeded to hold my own until I finally got my ass handed to me at the end, I put Futurama on my second monitor, and got back to work.

And NOW...

I can't decide which image I want to put up to go with my "About Me" text on my website, and on the "Note From The Photographer" page in the hardcopy magazine I give my potential senior clients.

I had image 1 up for a while. And then I decided I wanted image 2 in the magazine. But THEN I decided for consistency's sake, I should have the same image both online and in the book... and now I can't decide which one to go with.

I am probably going to regret asking this, after seeing the direction my "About Me" post rant went last time, but I'm asking anyway.

I'm just gonna be completely transparent and say that I am 100% emotionally and mentally fragile right now, so if you've always wanted to be a huge d*ck to me, now's your chance. However, if you fancy yourself a decent person, just let me know which of the two you like better.

I'm not asking what you think I should have *instead* of these two... I'm not asking if you feel my clothing choices are "professional" enough... neither of these were shot with the intention of specifically being for my website or ANY business materials for that matter. One was taken on a photo shoot where, for some damn reason, a friend wanted me to model for him, and the other was taken during down time at a wedding I was working with another friend.

But I digress... I just want to know which one you think would work better. 1? or 2? Those are your only choices. No C&C (I didn't take the images anyway). No suggestions for reshoot... just tell me if you like 1 or 2 better. :laugh2:

1. 10688136_730907419227_742761341482024861_o.jpg 2. _U5A9575_Version2-020115.jpg

Damn - I really like both. I'm going to say #1, only because I like that you are looking at me, the potential customer.

Sorry you're having a rotten day and glad hubby is making it better.

I like #2 but agree that looking at the viewer is more effective. Although teenagers do like to avoid eye contact!

The good news, Emily, is that you got a crappy day out of the system (we all get them, sooner or later, and we all are glad when they're gone), your husband understands, and both pictures are very nice, although I slightly (smidgen -level slightly) prefer the second one. No strong rational reason that I can give for that preference.

As for having slight mental breakdowns... that's not your style. You DA Rock. Even when you don't feel particularly Rocky. ;)

One. I like the eye contact, outfit, posture, framing. It's a more intimate and feminine photo. But dude, I remember you have much better photos than the 2nd one. :D

PS, which one did Tommy shoot? lol

Both are great shots. However, I think the eye contact in #1 makes it the one to go with.

As for having slight mental breakdowns... that's not your style. You DA Rock. Even when you don't feel particularly Rocky. ;)

Ha, thank you for your vote of confidence. :lol:

One. I like the eye contact, outfit, posture, framing. It's a more intimate and feminine photo. But dude, I remember you have much better photos than the 2nd one. :D

PS, which one did Tommy shoot? lol

HAHAHA... I forgot you guys know each other.

He shot the first one. My friend Matthew shot the other while we were shooting a wedding.

I have other photos, yes, but none that I thought fit the feel of what I'm doing.

I *thought* about using my self-portrait, but that one is a little too "bad assy", I think. I don't want to scare them away... hahaha. :laughing:

I like number one, for the same reasons mentioned above. (I swear I thought it before I read it. :) )

On a more serious note, I'm sorry you are having such a bad day. Can I recommend

Just put it on as youre falling asleep and you're almost guaranteed to wake up refreshed. ;-)

#2 is the better of the two but #1 I can see your entire face so I know who I'm talking to.

Perhaps it's my senior-age mind that is 'going' faster than I thought it would, but I'm going to vote for 'none of the above'. If I HAD to pick one, then #2.

Why? To me, #1 looks like you are somewhat apprehensive, perhaps even afraid to DO SOMETHING BOLD in your picture-taking. It seems like you may be 'afraid' to take on and successfully complete a photography project. #2 strikes me as presenting a more 'whimsical' outlook on things, perhaps showing a more 'delicate' nature that if a client starts yelling at you, you might start crying. As I guy, I'd either yell back at them, and perhaps tell them they got the wrong photographer. I'm also getting grumpier every year, like the 'Grumpy Old Men' movie.

The opposite is a picture of an entrepreneur that was a competitor of mine 30 years ago in the fledgling PC software industry...Peter Norton. His pose on the packaging with his arms crossed at his chest projected 'confidence', but I also saw it as a rather 'pompous' pose as well. He made millions when he sold his company to what now is Symantec and I went broke as I couldn't cover the advertising costs.

SO, where you likely want your picture to 'present' to the world is a degree of confidence that you can handle the project regardless of obstacles, do it very well, and present the client with results you'd be justifiably proud of and the client more than willing to show/display/use those pictures as expected.

Most reactions

Back