I'm new to photography

kchapman0304

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My husband bought me a Sony a560. Mostly for shoot and click but now i'm really starting to get a hand on it but have a few questions. Theres a few things I don't know what they do or change does anyone have one of these cameras or a Sony just like it to help me through it?! and I was taking pictures of my niece and nephew today and I found the exposure button and it was a beautiful cloudy day so there were no shadows and without the flash even if they moved a little it would blur?! With kids thats hard to get them to sit still while your trying to find the right exposure for a cloudy day. Its usually really bright and sunny. Any input to help me get started would be GREAT!!!! Thank you,

Kim:sexywink:

It blurred because your shutter speed was not high enough. To remedy this, try using the lowest aperture possible. This opens up the iris inside the lens and lets in more light.

If opening up the lens to its widest doesn't help, then try using a higher ISO setting. This affects the sensor's sensitivity to light. The higher the ISO, the higher the shutter speeds you can use to get a proper exposure. Be careful though, because higher ISOs cause higher grain in photos.

It would be helpful if you would tell us what lens you are using? :)

The larger the lens opening relative to the focal length, the bigger the number, because it's a fraction of the ratio of the lens focal length to the lens opening. f/3.5 is a much bigger number than f/8 is.

With an 18-55 mm kit lens, the lens opeing is larger at the 55 mm focal length and f/5.6, than the lens opening is at 18 mm for the focal length and f/3.5 setn for the lens opening.

The math: 18 mm divided by 3.5 = 5.14 mm for the lens opening, while 55 mm divided by 5.6 = 9.82 mm for the lens opening.

I highly recommend these very good tutorials: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html

Last edited:
I have tried to mess with the Aperture, I have a setting thats Aperture but it doesn't help me either. And for some reason I can't go below a 4.5 aperture. and I tried adjusting my ISO. Everything is still coming out blurry. What setting do you use I have P (program auto) A (aperture) S (shutter priority) and M (Manual) I have tried adjusting in every single setting and I still get blurry shots?! HELP

KmH... I checked out your tutorial but I have no idea how that applies to what I've been asking about I know how to upload photos. Am I doing something wrong in this forum?

kchapman0304 said:
I have tried to mess with the Aperture, I have a setting thats Aperture but it doesn't help me either. And for some reason I can't go below a 4.5 aperture. and I tried adjusting my ISO. Everything is still coming out blurry. What setting do you use I have P (program auto) A (aperture) S (shutter priority) and M (Manual) I have tried adjusting in every single setting and I still get blurry shots?! HELP

Do you understand how aperture and shutter speed work together? Anyways, shooting kids you want a high shutter speed. If your outside on a cloudy day set your ISO to 400 use shutter priority mode and set your shutter speed around 1/200 or higher. Camera will choose the aperture. If the pictures come out a little dark use your exposure compensation (positive exposure compensation).

For aperture f/4.5 is a large aperture whereas f/16 is a small aperture. Large aperture = more light comes in. Small aperture = less light comes in. Most 18-55 lens have a variable aperture so at 18mm your largest aperture is probably f/3.5 but as you zoom it will get smaller.

Try this: ISO400, Shutter priority and set it to 1/100 second or faster. See if that works better for you.

On the photos, are just the kids blurred, or is the background and all blurred a little too?

Thanks Megan... Okay so I found a basic understanding of the 3 (ISO, shutter speed and Aperture) after reading I set my camera into M mode although I can't move my Aperture manually I use my zoom to go to f5.6 and I then use my dial to adjust my shutter speed. (Atleast I think) My picture comes out very dark but i'm assuming its because I'm indoors and without a flash at night. I would assume it would be better exposure if I was outdoors on a sunny day. But at least I got my shutter speed to speed up right? and I set it at 400 ISO... YAY!!!!!

Try this: ISO400, Shutter priority and set it to 1/100 second or faster. See if that works better for you.

On the photos, are just the kids blurred, or is the background and all blurred a little too?

Buckster, Just the kids hands or a foot Not even the whole picture!!! Thank you sooo much everyone I think I just got it! I will have to try it out on my kiddos tomorrow in the late afternoon. Hope its a cloudy day like it was today they were beautiful pictures besides the slight blur!!!!

If you are shooting in manual (m-mode) you have to adjust the shutter spped with the dial the hold down the alternate button to be able to adjust the aperture with the same dial. Should have like a star on it. I shoot sony also. Typically for low light photography i use A-mode with a f-stop of 1.7 - 2.5 with iso at 800. You really dont want to push it past this point unless absolutely necessary because it will cause lots of noise.

You need to pick up some better glass too. A minolta 50mm f1.7 is a must have and cheap too. About $100. Tamron makes a nice 17-50mm f2.8 that would be much better then your kit lens. Costs about $300-400. Some fast glass is a must if you want to get good picks of the kids.They move quick.

If you are shooting in manual (m-mode) you have to adjust the shutter spped with the dial the hold down the alternate button to be able to adjust the aperture with the same dial. Should have like a star on it. I shoot sony also. Typically for low light photography i use A-mode with a f-stop of 1.7 - 2.5 with iso at 800. You really dont want to push it past this point unless absolutely necessary because it will cause lots of noise.
Aperture priority is used to control depth of field. A better way to stop motion blur or even camera blur is to use shutter priority and a fast shutter. Adjust aperture and ISO then as necessary to allow that.

You need to pick up some better glass too.
No she doesn't.

A minolta 50mm f1.7 is a must have and cheap too.
No, it's not a "must have".

About $100. Tamron makes a nice 17-50mm f2.8 that would be much better then your kit lens.
Define "much better".

Costs about $300-400. Some fast glass is a must if you want to get good picks of the kids.They move quick.
That's not true at all. Just go faster on the shutter if the kids are fidgety.

Most reactions

Back