I'm not a magician!!!!

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is anyone else tired of models who expect your work flow to be about 1 hour?

So I had a TF/CD (well TF photobucket page I guess.....) shoot with a girl friday night at 5 pm. The shoot lasted until 8 pm and during that time I took approximately 550 pictures. I tell her later that night on aim that the pictures will take a little bit of time to finish because I have to import/ sort thru them/ and edit all the pictures that I want. I get this instant message from her today, not even 24 hours after the shoot ended.

(ihavethebullets = me if you couldnt guess)

Dncswthmonkeys (6:08:51 PM): hey..sorry if this is bugging you..but do you have the pictures on photobucket yet or no?
ihavethebullets (6:09:03 PM): noooo not even close
Dncswthmonkeys (6:09:22 PM): ooh okay
ihavethebullets (6:10:16 PM): theres still a lot of work to do on them
Dncswthmonkeys (6:10:23 PM): ooh
Dncswthmonkeys (6:10:40 PM): so they'll be done like..tomorrow maybe?
ihavethebullets (6:11:07 PM): i highly doubt it, I would have to do some kind of magic trick

Dncswthmonkeys (6:11:14 PM): oh
Dncswthmonkeys (6:11:18 PM): okaay

Just importing the pictures onto my computer and then into lightroom takes at least an hour, then there is going thru them all and making the first cut of what I want deleted and to look at 500 plus pics it takes some time... Let's say I spend approximately 4 seconds on each picture trying to decide if I should keep it or not. Let's say I have 550 pictures, that would take 37 minutes and of course I won't be able to make up my mind that fast on all of them. Then there is the editing, let's say I cut that 550 down to about 50 of the better ones I would put online for her to choose from. I would say that basic color/ brightness can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes or more depending on the picture and how much I like. Then my favorites have to be exported into photoshop so I can do the finer details which can take 30 minutes to an hour per pic for maybe about 5 of the best. Then those get imported back into lightroom and exported with all my metadata and watermark with the rest of them at a web viewable size. Those 50 or so pictures then have to be uploaded into my photobucket page with the upload tool.

Let's say I was a professional and this is all I did all day it would probably still take more then a day to finish, but thats not the case. I am a high school student with a ton of other things that I have to do including editing pictures from a few other photoshoots I had this week. Especially when this is a free shoot and I am doing her a favor by giving her these pictures it amazes me she is so demanding and obviously upset they are not done yet.
I have a few paid things on my list of things to do and obviously those will take a higher priority.

Let me just finish with a comment I got from someone on my model mayhem page. She originally wanted to higher me for pics. It was getting extremely hard trying to come up with a location and theme for her because everything I suggested she said no no no no and it was becoming impossible. So then after a while shes like how about this can we just do a TFP shoot and you can do it however you want. She was a pretty good looking girl and I wouldnt mind her in my portfolio so I was like yeah sure.... So I said let's just do some stuff at the park there are some nice spots I know. I get this comment back from her...

"okay i got it.

On top of a ahuge building with a cool view,
also i would want some cool lighting effects, and i would want it to be around sunset.

can you arrange that?
als0o can i see some of the stuff your hairstylist has done"?

thanks

xoxo"

After I got that I was just like I'm sorry but if it's free it's my way, if you are going to pay me we can try that. She was just impossible to deal with, never messaged me back.

Ok end of rant........ Anyone have similar experiences?

No but I get the feeling I will next week. After a friend heard that I am finally pulling my finger out to get 2 light stands 2 umbrellas and a reflector to add to my equipment list he suggested doing a model shoot together with a TFP model, and I said sure. So he's gone and found and organised a model within half an hour to be done later this week and I just though ffs I meant like at the end of next month.

I however, did do a wedding just yesterday and the bride said she was going on honeymoon today so can I just drop the photos in to her parents house on Monday... I kindly let her know she can have them when she gets back, IF she is luck enough that I have them done by then.

It is the people with point and shoots who take one or two photos a day and don't know any better that think a photo ends with pressing the shutter and is then ready to be posted online. That's the main reason I don't take photography serious enough to become a full professional. I don't think the nerves would hold out.

I have not had the experience of having to deal with a crazy model like that but what I have dealt with is crazy expectations from photoshop. I took pictures of a girl who was a little on the heavy side. These pictures were he senior pictures. She wanted me to slim her way down so that she looked fit. I told her that I could slim her down some but I was not going to be able to as skinny as she wanted. She then proceeded to have a fit about I did not know how to use photoshop that well and that she expected more from me.

People thing everyone owes them something. Just makes you want to hit 'em to bring them back to reality.

You should have just handed her a brochure for the local gym and said come back when you loose some weight :lmao::lol::lmao::lol::lmao: I would have liked to see her expression.

Dncswthmonkeys (6:11:14 PM): oh
Dncswthmonkeys (6:11:18 PM): okaay

Seems a bit innocuous to me. It didn't seem like she was yelling at you or anything, she just wanted to see the pictures sooner rather than later. Am I missing something?

Seems a bit innocuous to me. It didn't seem like she was yelling at you or anything, she just wanted to see the pictures sooner rather than later. Am I missing something?

That's what I was thinking too...

pascal

I dated her for 9 months a couple years ago........ I know what she means.

At the studio that I may (fingers crossed) get a job at.
I have less than 30mins after the shoot to get the prints of their choice processed and printed.
They pretty much want me to set up automated actions, so it's literally one click and the image is ready.

So I had a TF/CD (well TF photobucket page I guess.....) shoot with a girl friday night at 5 pm.
The shoot lasted until 8 pm and during that time I took approximately 550 pictures. I tell her later that night on aim that the pictures will take a little bit of time to finish because I have to import/ sort thru them/ and edit all the pictures that I want. I get this instant message from her today, not even 24 hours after the shoot ended.

(ihavethebullets = me if you couldnt guess)

Dncswthmonkeys (6:08:51 PM):hey..sorry if this is bugging you..but do you have the pictures on photobucket yet or no? ihavethebullets (6:09:03 PM):noooo not even close Dncswthmonkeys (6:09:22 PM):ooh okay ihavethebullets (6:10:16 PM):theres still a lot of work to do on them Dncswthmonkeys (6:10:23 PM):ooh Dncswthmonkeys (6:10:40 PM):so they'll be done like..tomorrow maybe? ihavethebullets (6:11:07 PM):i highly doubt it, I would have to do some kind of magic trick
Dncswthmonkeys (6:11:14 PM):oh Dncswthmonkeys (6:11:18 PM):okaay

Just importing the pictures onto my computer and then into lightroom takes at least an hour, then there is going thru them all and making the first cut of what I want deleted and to look at 500 plus pics it takes some time... Let's say I spend approximately 4 seconds on each picture trying to decide if I should keep it or not. Let's say I have 550 pictures, that would take 37 minutes and of course I won't be able to make up my mind that fast on all of them. Then there is the editing, let's say I cut that 550 down to about 50 of the better ones I would put online for her to choose from. I would say that basic color/ brightness can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes or more depending on the picture and how much I like. Then my favorites have to be exported into photoshop so I can do the finer details which can take 30 minutes to an hour per pic for maybe about 5 of the best. Then those get imported back into lightroom and exported with all my metadata and watermark with the rest of them at a web viewable size. Those 50 or so pictures then have to be uploaded into my photobucket page with the upload tool.

Let's say I was a professional and this is all I did all day it would probably still take more then a day to finish, but thats not the case. I am a high school student with a ton of other things that I have to do including editing pictures from a few other photoshoots I had this week. Especially when this is a free shoot and I am doing her a favor by giving her these pictures it amazes me she is so demanding and obviously upset they are not done yet.
I have a few paid things on my list of things to do and obviously those will take a higher priority.

Let me just finish with a comment I got from someone on my model mayhem page. She originally wanted to higher me for pics. It was getting extremely hard trying to come up with a location and theme for her because everything I suggested she said no no no no and it was becoming impossible. So then after a while shes like how about this can we just do a TFP shoot and you can do it however you want. She was a pretty good looking girl and I wouldnt mind her in my portfolio so I was like yeah sure.... So I said let's just do some stuff at the park there are some nice spots I know. I get this comment back from her...

"okay i got it.

On top of a ahuge building with a cool view,
also i would want some cool lighting effects, and i would want it to be around sunset.

can you arrange that?
als0o can i see some of the stuff your hairstylist has done"?

thanks

xoxo"

After I got that I was just like I'm sorry but if it's free it's my way, if you are going to pay me we can try that. She was just impossible to deal with, never messaged me back.

Ok end of rant........ Anyone have similar experiences?

Go back to film. ;)

I dated her for 9 months a couple years ago........ I know what she means.

If you dated her that completely changes everything, and I don't understand why she would've had these expectations.

I let my models now that it will be a few days before they get to see ANYTHING. If I am faster, than I've underpromised and overperformed, and that's a good thing.

However this is why I've switched to using PICASA 2 ONLY unless it's for a major project or a wedding. If I am doing TFP than hardly any, if any at all, of the photos even SEE Photoshop. I don't have the time to sort through without the ease of Picasa 2, and pick out what I want to edit. Picasa allows quick and dirty editing, and if I need to get advanced, I can do that later.

Also, by using a ALbum for each model, I can quickly generate what they need, and the photos are acceptable for WEB use.

That being said I've had my share of CRAZY MODELS from Model Mayhem. The last one was a model who contacted me, and asked "How much would you pay me for me to model nude, I've never done nude modeling before"

So not only was she new, but asking for money for ME to shoot HER! I told her it's the other way around for most models. Sorry.

Now that's a cry for attention. You could always point her to some questionable internet sites which do work that way :er:

My gf does quite a bit of this type of modeling (free for shots), so I sorta get where your model is coming from. Probably she's worked with quite a few photographers who suck, and just wants to see a sample.

My gf is the same. As long as she gets to see some of the shots after (or during) the shoot, she's happy to wait a few weeks for the final product. But if she has to wait more than a week to see a single rough image from the shoot, chances are she's gonna start to get bitchy.:)

The nicest thing you can do for your models (and maybe you already do this) is scroll through some of the images at the end of the shoot.

On a related note, my gf did a shoot early last week and still hasn't seen any of the pics. The agency that set it up sent her an email the day after the shoot that said, "Hey, the pics turned out great!" and she STILL hasn't seen them over a week later. She's furious!!:grumpy:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back