im not sure what to do with this

I wouldn't just give your photos away. You've put them online somewhere that they found them... plenty of people seem to be looking online for photos they can use and seem to want people's pictures - if they can use them for free!! that saves them having to pay a photographer doesn't it? If you aren't interested you could just tell them it's not for sale and then look where you put the pictures and decide if you want them to be viewable publicly.

Even if they're a local government agency they have a budget (maybe not much of one, but still...). You'd need a contract and need to look into licensing etc. And from my experience an agency has to keep track of every penny so I'd expect they would want to have something in writing as well.

I personally would want a contract to be limited and specific (even if it wasn't a lot of money) - if they want unlimited usage from now til doomsday they better send an armored truck full of cash! (I'm kidding of course - I think...lol) But to be serious you need to read any contract they offer and make sure you understand anything you're asked to sign. If it were for a charitable cause personally I might consider allowing usage for a one time event etc.; otherwise if it's for something like tourism where they'd profit from usage I'd expect some compensation/payment.

You could look at American Society of Media Photographers for business resources for photographers (contracts, licensing, and all that good stuff!).
huh. maybe they will send me a contract then. And maybe these are just inquiries if im interested.
im getting a headache already to be honest.
One is a referral from people passing around facebook and it got back to the city. Not my first problem with facebook sharing and my photos. Other i haven't a clue where they got it. Probably should know, but i don't. i have posted it on here i cant think of where else. it was on my own facebook at one point, but i put all my photos to hide from public now on there.
no idea...which is kind of frightening.
i had some images (not many) with getty but this is none of them. i really don't know.

Thankyou

1. Respond vaguely
2. Wait until they use it
3. Sue them
4. Become mayor

1. Respond vaguely
2. Wait until they use it
3. Sue them
4. Become mayor
lol. the waterfall pic one is on here somewhere, since you asked. Go through all my 1700 posts you could probably find it. if not into the work just wait a month and search my local area it will probably show up on the city website.

Go through all my 1700 posts you could probably find it. if not into the work just wait a month and search my local area it will probably show up on the city website.

FYI your title writing skills suck as bad as your contract negotiation skills.

Go through all my 1700 posts you could probably find it. if not into the work just wait a month and search my local area it will probably show up on the city website.

FYI your title writing skills suck as bad as your contract negotiation skills.
i usually just use a .

i already have that vague thing down.

i also posted about fifty waterfall pics on here prolly. Happy hunting.
;)

other isn't even on here, if it was i would let you look for that one too....:lmao:

Honestly I lost interest very quickly and have moved on.

I don't see anything wrong with the "all rights reserved." It just means you are letting them use it for this particular purpose and are maintaining your rights to insist on permission if they want to do more than they said.

Remember, in a lot of contexts, these things are formalities that don't really ever get activated. The nitty-gritty details are important to people whose livelihoods depend on the proceeds of their creative work, so if someone writes a song, the money they earn is in large part from people paying them for the right to perform the song, to play the song at Starbucks or on the radio, or to sell records/downloads (distribution.) If you're looking at commercializing your creative work, then these details become much more important.

I'm not suggesting a municipal newsletter and amateur photographer status don't matter, but it's not like you're going to be embroiled in a huge multi-million lawsuit over the licensing agreement. If you end up being uncomfortable with how they are using it, or if they don't do something they say they are going to do, just email and say that you withdraw your permission for them to use it and then they take it down.
Thanks, you are alleviating that headache. They appear to want to put it on the website too. But suppose it don't matter. i really only want to commercialize my work enough to pay for some equipment, pay for prints, and somehow still remain unknown and left alone. :lmao: Really just to recoup costs and even that im not overly concerned with. All seems pretty harmless and generally people are nice so. :lol: Suppose in the end i really don't care either way. life goes on...live and let live.

edit: yep. email back. sorry, not allowed to give compensation. will give you credit as you outlined. hopefully it gets your work more recognized.

oh well. what to do.

nice enough people. think im going to just forget about this now to avoid that headache.

Last edited:
Facebook could have been enough - if you really want a headache go read their Terms and what you agreed to when you signed up and posted your photos.

Maybe the person who contacted you should give up their next paycheck - if he/she obtains your photo for free that would give him/her more recognition by the boss, won't it? that's all they need isn't it? Oh, wait, do they expect to be paid for their work?? but not you...

Just follow Runnah's advice and hire him as your campaign manager.

Facebook could have been enough - if you really want a headache go read their Terms and what you agreed to when you signed up and posted your photos.

Maybe the person who contacted you should give up their next paycheck - if he/she obtains your photo for free that would give him/her more recognition by the boss, won't it? that's all they need isn't it? Oh, wait, do they expect to be paid for their work?? but not you...

Just follow Runnah's advice and hire him as your campaign manager.
go runnah!!!

its all good. I really just am not a fan of dealing with people, or headaches and often the monetary compensation that might be available isn't even worth it to me. Nothing against them, just not my thing. wife begs me to go to social gatherings and be nice. I get more than twenty people on my face book page I get stressed and go on a deletion spree. often I don't even answer the phone when it rings, even if the caller id is a friend. you get the idea..
now if someone wanted to throw a decent sized sum on the table, well I can work around my anti social traits. My photos really don't appear to be worth much though. Don't think I would ever make it as a wedding photographer or doing senior portraits. I also don't want a photography business per say not planning on doing kid photos or weddings , so that takes away most of my need for gaining exposure in social media.

Might be time to go delete that facebook account again, problem solved.

whatever...
see what transpires with these.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back