I'm not sure

soleshine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you like this photo? I'm not sure about it because it is a windshield wiper lol but I like how it was raining and super foggy out!

IMG_2203.jpg

ok thanks for that...why don't you like it then?

because of the fog and rain... and mostly because it was a really good day that day :)

because of the fog and rain... and mostly because it was a really good day that day :)

well we were not with you that day, so all we can see is the photo and it does not convey that emotion to me at all. in fact it goes the in the opposite direction.

p!nK

I don't like it for a variety of reasons and I am not sure I can verbalize all of them but here are a couple:
#1 The windshield and wiper are the only things in focus, if the purpose of the shot was to capture the gloom then there needs to be something out there that gets my attention and is in focus.
#2 it is underexposed and has no detail.
#3 there is no composition that I can find and no reason for the shot that I can see
#4 If you like a shot and want serious critique on it then you need to be able to say why you like it and what you were trying to do so someone can at least have a reference point to begin.

I would be interested to hear, besides it reminds you of a good day you had, why you like this shot.

Sorry I am coming across rather abrupt but honestly I answered your question in the way you asked it.

I think the wiper is your downfall here -- it puts the viewer in a place that they've likely been. There are small number of artists who are doing this 'focus on a piece of glass with water drops in the foreground' while the background suggests an image that are doing some really neat work. You're making it harder on yourself with no color elements, but at a minimum the the glass/water drops need to be in tack sharp focus for this to work overall. It can be done in B&W, it's just more difficult.

That being said, I do think the suggestion of the subjects and their purpose within the frame are decent in terms of composition -- the vehicle being near out of frame, the leading line of the guard rail, the secondary subject that is the unreadable street sign and the vast amounts of negative space I think work for the image.

I kinda like it, or I at least like where it's going.

It's moody and gray and kinda miserable, which is neat. (maybe I need therapy) :lol:

You probably needed to do something different with the wiper... perhaps do a landscape view of the scene so you could get more of it or something... have the wiper lead the eye in the direction of something more noteworthy like some particularly poignant sign or something... something.

There are possibilities here... I just don't think you quite nailed it.

Thanks for the comments...i know me having a good day doesn't matter to anyone else lol. and what i was trying to capture how foggy it was that day...maybe this one is better??

lala.jpg

yeah i figured the wiper was going to make everyone hate it lol but I think the person I was with woulda been mad if I ripped it off haha...i do appreciate the harshness tho lol because i was just really unsure of it! and about most things i do haha o well i still have fun!! :))

LOVE that one. I might crop it a bit differently but very cool.

Oooh...that second one is nice!

The subtle tones of the different branch layers hints at a double exposure. It fools the eye.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back