i'm so in

chaotickass

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
over my head! You would think with a point and shoot things would be easier. But it seems that people have an easier time with the SLR cameras. I also need to learn how to use my photo shop program. That might make things better. Ugh!

One thing at a time. Photoshop should be used for enhancement, not recovery.

What are you having troubles with specifically?

p!nK

soooo...what do you want me to tell you??? get Photosop for dummies. and Understanding exposure.

One thing at a time. Photoshop should be used for enhancement, not recovery.

What are you having troubles with specifically?

p!nK
Absolutely. Learning how to do photography and getting it right in the camera is the goal to strive for. Not learning how to fix mistakes and sloppy/poor photoggraphy with image editing software.

A point and shoot usually places severe limits on what you can do artistically when making an image.

The small image sensors and tiny lenses make shallow DOF virtually impossible. Forget good low light performance, sharply focused images and good strobed light controls.

So in those respects, yes a dSLR makes things possible that can't be done with a P&S.

As was said a DSLR is much better at producing good or even great photos than a P&S. But a DSLR is more complicated than a P&S or even a film SLR.

My suggestion would be to use it as a P&S (put it into auto) and also try it in different modes as you read the manual that came with the camera. If you put it in shutter priority and you play around with whatever changes the shutter speed - you will learn how to change it AND see what happens when you change it; same with all the other functions. You need to know where the light meter is and what happens to it when you change whatever.

My next suggestion after you become a little familiar with the camera is to read a book or two on photography and go out and shoot photos. Use what you learned in the books to understand what is going on in your photos.

Start using your camera as a basic DSLR and forget about all the fancy stuff it can do. I am very familiar with my Nikon film camera and I found my Nikon DSLR to be pretty complicated to use and am still learning about its functions.

Basically, start slowly and build on it.

thanks for the advice everyone. i will go out and buy photography for dummies and go from there. i really love taking pictures and just want to improve on everything. i think i am trying to use the functions that it has too much right now. i will put it back on auto mode and go from there.

Most reactions

Back