I'm struggling to decide on a camera, sensor size, mirrorless or SLR...Think you can help? ;)

When I think of used I think of "How used?"...as in, I wonder how used and spent it is, how close it is to breaking down. There is really no way of knowing that.

That's what the ratings are for. Some sites use 1-9 and others use letters. If you're talking about well known online retailers like B&H and Adorama etc. the ratings are reliable. For cameras you can ask for the shutter count. I once bought a used body that had only 188 shutter activations (out of an expected 100k). Just trying to help you stretch your budget. I bought most of my gear used and had zero issues. It's an expensive hobby, you need to save where you can.

I have a mix of New and used. Of 9 digital bodies so far I bought 2-refurbished. Some lenses I bought new. Some used. I give new and used a good testing when I first get it. As some have run into, even new can have a problem every now and then. I tend to buy new if used price is real close to the new price. But if a deal is available, I will jump on a used item. I have purchased over a dozen items from KEH. I have only sent one back to them. They paid the return shipping. I just picked up 2 more lenses from them, and happy with both.

Most of my kit has been brought used. Despite hundreds of purchases I've hardly ever had any issues that weren't quickly resolved.
For the occasions I've had issues (all low cost transactions) the total cost involved has been saved many times over by several of the single purchases.

The description, photographs & perhaps a personal inspection give a fairly good idea of the state of the gear. With camera bodies it's also often possible to find out the total number of shutter activations.

When I think of used I think of "How used?"...as in, I wonder how used and spent it is, how close it is to breaking down. There is really no way of knowing that.

That's what the ratings are for. Some sites use 1-9 and others use letters. If you're talking about well known online retailers like B&H and Adorama etc. the ratings are reliable. For cameras you can ask for the shutter count. I once bought a used body that had only 188 shutter activations (out of an expected 100k). Just trying to help you stretch your budget. I bought most of my gear used and had zero issues. It's an expensive hobby, you need to save where you can.

I have a mix of New and used. Of 9 digital bodies so far I bought 2-refurbished. Some lenses I bought new. Some used. I give new and used a good testing when I first get it. As some have run into, even new can have a problem every now and then. I tend to buy new if used price is real close to the new price. But if a deal is available, I will jump on a used item. I have purchased over a dozen items from KEH. I have only sent one back to them. They paid the return shipping. I just picked up 2 more lenses from them, and happy with both.

Most of my kit has been brought used. Despite hundreds of purchases I've hardly ever had any issues that weren't quickly resolved.
For the occasions I've had issues (all low cost transactions) the total cost involved has been saved many times over by several of the single purchases.

The description, photographs & perhaps a personal inspection give a fairly good idea of the state of the gear. With camera bodies it's also often possible to find out the total number of shutter activations.

As a camera salesman from way back, I know that it's almost impossible to convince a cautious or fearful buyer to go with used or refurbished equipment, no matter how many positive experiences or glowing reviews are given in support of used gear.

My first 2 DSLRs were New, not used. Only AFTER I got used to buying camera equipment used did I feel comfortable enough to buy a camera body used (D600 refurbished).

So it's all one's particular perspective on anything new or used.
Do people buy used furniture, clothes, computers ?? You can but I doubt everyone does. You have to be comfortable with what you are buying used irregardless of what other people say and what other people are comfortable with.

I have Sigma and Phoenix zooms. Used them on my EOS650. Plan to get a used 40D to continue to use them.
My problem is all financial.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

So I just purchased the Canon 6D and the Canon 16-35mm f4 L lens as my landscape lens. I just thought I'd let everybody know because you all gave input (and I appreciate it). I think I will be pretty happy.

Now if only the fires would stop in BC for my trip to Banff and Jasper next week. Well I don't want to be selfish, hopefully they stop for all the people that live there.

If they don't I hope the airlines cooperate with me about switching flights to a different destination. Don't think the Olympic National Park is on fire, and nothing west of it can be on fire because only the Pacific is west of there!

Congrats on the new camera. May it serve you well.

Thanks benhasajeep!

So I just purchased the Canon 6D and the Canon 16-35mm f4 L lens as my landscape lens. I just thought I'd let everybody know because you all gave input (and I appreciate it). I think I will be pretty happy.

Now if only the fires would stop in BC for my trip to Banff and Jasper next week. Well I don't want to be selfish, hopefully they stop for all the people that live there.

If they don't I hope the airlines cooperate with me about switching flights to a different destination. Don't think the Olympic National Park is on fire, and nothing west of it can be on fire because only the Pacific is west of there!

Very good choice. You may close your three EF lens thread now.

Most reactions

Back