I'm struggling to decide on a camera, sensor size, mirrorless or SLR...Think you can help? ;)

L in the lens title could as easily be bs

Designer, my current only NEED for a full frame camera is the likelihood that I get a camera that will keep me content for a long time, satisfied that I won't be experiencing any "woulda / coulda / shoulda" with an APS-C camera.

As I said, if Derrel or dxomark didn't plant the seed in my head that Nikon is miles ahead of Canon I'd probably get a Canon, maybe an APSC or a full frame camera...

But when the Nikon D7200 APSC DOES look miles ahead of most affordable Canons and many full frame cameras on paper, including the Canon 6D full frame camera, I have to hesitate, research, and think about what I should do.
That's DEFINITELY not a need for FF then.
If you do go for one there will be occasions on hikes where you think I wish I had my camera for this, but I just didn't fancy lugging it around on the off chance. I sometimes even get that with my MFT kit which is considerably lighter than a FF kit covering the same FOV range.
My 5 year old MFT really struggles for any astrophotography, but with a reasonable middle of the road camera you might get a fair balance for your conflicting requirements.
Alternatively you could go with 2 camera systems one for near base & a much smaller one for backpacking. Any single system you get it won't be ideal for everything, just be warned that can lead to severe GAS - I have MFT, APSC, FF, MF & LF options (the last 3 only as film)...

So I just purchased the Canon 6D and the Canon 16-35mm f4 L lens as my landscape lens. I just thought I'd let everybody know because you all gave input (and I appreciate it). I think I will be pretty happy.

Now if only the fires would stop in BC for my trip to Banff and Jasper next week. Well I don't want to be selfish, hopefully they stop for all the people that live there.

If they don't I hope the airlines cooperate with me about switching flights to a different destination. Don't think the Olympic National Park is on fire, and nothing west of it can be on fire because only the Pacific is west of there!

Last edited:
So I just purchased the Canon 6D and the Canon 16-24mm f4 L lens as my landscape lens. I just thought I'd let everybody know because you all gave input (and I appreciate it). I think I will be pretty happy.

Now if only the fires would stop in BC for my trip to Banff and Jasper next week. Well I don't want to be selfish, hopefully they stop for all the people that live there.

If they don't I hope the airlines cooperate with me about switching flights to a different destination. Don't think the Olympic National Park is on fire, and nothing west of it can be on fire because only the Pacific is west of there!

it's actually 16-35mm but hey, who's counting all the millimeters
enjoy your trip
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Yes, typo...typing without thinking!

Last edited:
Correct, 16-35.

I wish more people would give their hypothetical setups...

It's always impressive when someone gets great shots with a crap setup...

You don't need fancy equipment, especially auto HDR...Use your cellphone if you want HDR for dummies.

I"ve been limited to my iPhone SE during the days lately...otherwise my walking around kit is a Domke shoulder bag, ugly black heavy canvas, unpadded, with a Nikon D610, the 24/2.8 Ai-S; the 50/1.8 G, the 85/1.8 G, the AF-D 180mm /2.8 ED~IF; the 70-300 VR-G; the 60 AF-D Micro~Nikkor; the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 AF-SP macro (25+ years old,plastic barrel);the lenses I shoot most shots per day are the 24,50,85,180,and 70-300.

I hope that bag has wheels! I don't think I could walk with that walking around kit.

@TimmyD11 Just a quick comment that ruling out used gear you're wasting money. Most used gear, especially when bought from the big online retailers, is indistinguishable from new.

Does this thread take the record for longest "what should I buy" thread?

@TimmyD11 Just a quick comment that ruling out used gear you're wasting money. Most used gear, especially when bought from the big online retailers, is indistinguishable from new.

When I think of used I think of "How used?"...as in, I wonder how used and spent it is, how close it is to breaking down. There is really no way of knowing that. So I feel more comfortable with a new 6D instead of a used 5D Mark X.

Now some people may have done well with used gear, and some people may have gotten burned.

6D is a good "new" spot for me getting back into photography. If I get the bug as much as I hope to then maybe I will get the 5D Mark X new when I have the money to do so and after I have obtained a few lenses.

By the way, when cameras break, are camera repairers good at repairing?

That is terrible reasoning. Most people are honest, if not everyone would get burned. All my photo stuff is used. And u already bought a professional FF camera, what "upgrade" could you possibly justify...
BTW Irma is a total dud. I'm bored!

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

When I think of used I think of "How used?"...as in, I wonder how used and spent it is, how close it is to breaking down. There is really no way of knowing that.

That's what the ratings are for. Some sites use 1-9 and others use letters. If you're talking about well known online retailers like B&H and Adorama etc. the ratings are reliable. For cameras you can ask for the shutter count. I once bought a used body that had only 188 shutter activations (out of an expected 100k). Just trying to help you stretch your budget. I bought most of my gear used and had zero issues. It's an expensive hobby, you need to save where you can.

Hijack time
IMG_20170730_193613_218.jpg

Sent from my RS988 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back