Status
Not open for further replies.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ever since, I have been taking photography classes and reading TPF, my skill has improve a lot. My concern is the costs. Is it the good investment to get the fast lens and L lens. I happy with my kit lens and 70-300mm lens. A lot of my photos look vey good in post process. I notice the difference in the high professional lenses are much more sharper and clearer than mine. I'm thinking about getting a job as a photographer and hopefully I'll earn enough money to get high end gears. Any thought?

If you have to ask people on the internet, your not ready.

Also, if you don't have one "fast" lens, no your not ready.

Do you have a back up camera?

Can you camera handle any lighting situation thrown at you?

What if you mess up a shoot?

Just messing

I think your ready ;)

If you get in a pinch and don't have the right lens for a certain job, there is always the rental option ;)

I would say if you are thinking of doing this, start making contacts ASAP. In a lot of situations, it's not about what you know, but rather who you know. You can produce much better photos that X amount of other photographers in the area, but unless you know who is hiring the photographer, it doesn't really matter.

I am on the same path and have decided to slow down and take a longer road.

Do you absolutely know what kind of photography you want to do professionally? Not saying you can't get a mixed bag of work to do but most professionals stick to and market themselves towards a specific type of photography; product, wedding, portraits etc. If you're not specialized in something you will not get sufficient pay in my opinion.

Have you assisted anyone? I would highly recommend this. I have done a little assisting and it has been great. Hope to have another day job coming up here int he next couple weeks. I have been paid well for my assisting, more than I made from shooting a lot of the time and I was learning. It was way cool to be on the set for a cover shoot for a magazine with an Olympic gold medal swimmer ;-)

Have you tried to teach anyone photography? This is a great way to expand your own knowledge and identify what you don't know.

I'm one who likes to be prepared and what I have realized is getting out there too soon, can hurt me. I am going to build contacts, knowledge and portfolio before branding myself too much.

Ever since, I have been taking photography classes and reading TPF, my skill has improve a lot. My concern is the costs. Is it the good investment to get the fast lens and L lens. I happy with my kit lens and 70-300mm lens. A lot of my photos look vey good in post process. I notice the difference in the high professional lenses are much more sharper and clearer than mine. I'm thinking about getting a job as a photographer and hopefully I'll earn enough money to get high end gears. Any thought?

You do not need high-end gear; you need business plans, marketing, and sales skills. The camera/lens/lighting equipment does not need to be Canon's L-series. You do not "need" a 50mm f/1.2-L (L stands for Ludicrous Size and Weight, on that specific lens) when Canon's standard 50mm f/1.4 EF is a fine, fine lens. Same with their 85mm f/1.8 EF; a fine, fine lens, smaller, lighter, and less conspicuous than their 85mm f/1.2-L series model.

Don't focus too much on what equipment you lack, but focus more on skill and knowledge, and business, marketing, and sales.

You do not need high-end gear; you need business plans, marketing, and sales skills. The camera/lens/lighting equipment does not need to be Canon's L-series. You do not "need" a 50mm f/1.2-L (L stands for Ludicrous Size and Weight, on that specific lens) when Canon's standard 50mm f/1.4 EF is a fine, fine lens. Same with their 85mm f/1.8 EF; a fine, fine lens, smaller, lighter, and less conspicuous than their 85mm f/1.2-L series model.

Don't focus too much on what equipment you lack, but focus more on skill and knowledge, and business, marketing, and sales.

Yup, you can always rent gear as needed.

You do not need high-end gear; you need business plans, marketing, and sales skills..

Exactly, McDonalds is not where it is because of the quality of it's food, it is because they had a great business plans and amazing marketing. Their food is terrible but they still do a bazillion dollars a year.

I looked at your Fickr site, come back in 10 years and ask again

Harsh but not entirely inaccurate.

I think you'd be premature to try to at this point in your development. It is a huge financial and personal investment to turn a hobby into a profession.

I think you'd be premature to try to at this point in your development. It is a huge financial and personal investment to turn a hobby into a profession.

I agree, not bad photos but I wouldnt say your there yet (based off your flickr) Id say the same about myself. Id love to go pro but I dont think im ready to go fully into it, and ive done a few weddings already.

No point in ***** footing around and sugar coating it

There don't seem to be a lot of existing jobs available for photographers, and building up your reputation as a photographer and getting opportunities could take time. I would think it would be better to upgrade if/when you're getting plenty of work as a photographer.

You seem to have ability and are working at learning and practicing, but I'd expect it to take some time to be consistent in getting good photos. For example you got some nice photos of many of the booths at the event on your page, but I can see where many of them could be better with improvement in framing shots, noticing backgrounds, being aware of your vantage point, and noticing distractions (objects sticking into the sides/corners of photos). With some I think just a slight crop could clean up the composition.

And this is getting rather OT but I did photos for a local team for marketing purposes - I'd get photos with signage of sponsors' names, not cut off, with people in the photo but not blocking the sign, etc. which I found took some waiting and watching as people move in and out of the scene and thinking about my vantage point. I usually would try to not crop thru the middle of lettering and think about that as part of the photos.

For example the one of the CPR training, if you'd framed it a little lower and more to the left that might have eliminated the edges of buildings and tree trunks etc. in the background that you don't need along the top, and could have kept the instructor's foot from being cropped off the bottom - and might have gotten the entire sign to the left and eliminated people in the shade to the right that are rather dark and not involved. Ones like the large sign w/the heart showing the sidewalk winding toward the tents is a nice one, no distractions, the sign looks nice, etc.

tell you this. My volunteer shooting kids summer camp changed the other day when i took a check. I still have one more day there shooting. I sure should be giving back something for the amount of money I've taken now. And my stress level HAS PEAKED.

Entire , ENTIRE different thing shooting something you want to and hoping someone buys it than shooting something where you HAVE to give some results and you aren't picking what you are shooting. ENTIRE DIFFERENT THING.
And that is on a friendly, not even a contract. Im trying to come up with over a couple grand in results basically. As that is about what im getting. Figure out a panorama, building shots. Just started off with a anniversary game shots. Now money involved. I'm flippn out.
And this isn't even what i would consider COMMERCIAL (started friendly volunteer) it is just meeting expectations and trying to go above them for the monetary amount. Once you take a check and you aren't picking what you are shooting trying to sell "art", IT ALL CHANGES. I'm over my friggn head right now and going on day THREE hoping i come with some stuff that is usable and accepted. Will i be shot or hated if i don't? No. But it is a ENTIRE different thing shooting for purpose than strolling around with a camera.

And no. If this is what it is like, i don't think i want to be a pro. TOTAL STRESS.
My only aid is im thinking if they accept and like it, everything will go good as what it would cost to hire a REAL pro for this i couldn't even imagine. It just isn't even funny. I don't want to pay the two k back either. And my kid can go to camp there for free now. so there ya go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back