iMac for Sale - 2GB of RAM too slow for editing?

MichaelHenson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've found a 24" iMac for sale that I'm considering picking up just for editing and web usage. My primary concern is that it won't be fast enough to run Lightroom/Photoshop, etc.

Can I get your professional opinion?

Current specs: 24" iMac 2.8GHz | 2 GB RAM | 500GB HD

RAM can be upgraded to 4GB.

It's an early 2008. Comes with the keyboard and mouse and the seller is asking $300.

Full specs from Apple: iMac (Early 2008) - Technical Specifications

You can look up the system requirements for LR/PS.

4-FOUR-4 gigs minimum. Any less and you can take short vacations between edits. ;)

4-FOUR-4 gigs minimum. Any less and you can take short vacations between edits. ;)

This is kind of what I was thinking...I'd love to snag an iMac for such a low price, but it's not worth the future frustration, I'm thinking...

You can look up the system requirements for LR/PS.

Yeah, I understand that...was looking for feedback rather than "requirements." I mean, 2GB might meet requirements but be BRUTAL to edit on in real life...

Can't you upgrade the memory in an iMac?
Yes, it's easy, but I'm not sure how high one can go. There are only two readily available slots for ram boards, so he'll have to remove the 2 1-G boards to install 2 2-G boards, bringing the total RAM to 4G.

With mine I changed it from (stock) 6G to 12G by changing out the two boards.

Can't you upgrade the memory in an iMac?

You can. However, depending on the version, you might be limited...Just did some quick research and it appears that some people have had success upgrading theirs beyond what Apple states is possible. Macsales.com recommends 4GB + 2GB RAM boards for a total of 6GB. In that case, I should be okay providing I keep everything pretty clean. Would you agree?

Actually...Just double checked Photoshop's requirements and they recommend 8GB.

I'm thinking I might just stick to my MacBook for now rather than getting into something that might end up being more of a frustration than a help...

talk about frustration ...

My old MacMini from 2009 I tried to upgrade at one time in the past.
With the memory upgrade
then to support the software I needed I needed an OS upgrade, which forced me to upgrade more software.
I gave up, Sooner or later I'd have to upgrade the processor too. I returned the stuff and bought a new Windows laptop instead for less than all the stuff I would have to upgrade.

The last thing my MacMini was able to do was run netflix but it started having compatibility problems with Silverlight which wanted a new version for better compatibility with Netflix. I now use my Sony blueray to run Netflix.

It sits unused with my iMac G4 now.

Last edited:
The system is not worth upgrading. Sorry but it's $300 for a reason.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I use 32gb RAM and want to rip my hair out sometimes hahahahaha

Thanks all! I had a feeling that was the answer (NO!) but was secretly hoping I'd stumbled across a decent deal. No such luck!

Thanks all! I had a feeling that was the answer (NO!) but was secretly hoping I'd stumbled across a decent deal. No such luck!
Those excellent and affordable computers are kind of scarce.

Yeah, I know...I guess I was just inspired by the guy that got $5K in camera gear for $500 or whatever in a post here a few days ago... :)

Most reactions

Back