Image authentication software

NikonPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We have all been reading about image authentication software for a while. It makes good sense to check certain photos for authenticity, but is anyone really using the software?

I like the idea. But until I need it, I don't plan on spending the money on it.

I would be interested in hearing of case studies where it was used in court cases. Does it really stand up?

Most of the time it doesn't get to court. It is used to authenticate evidence, in this case photos, before the case gets to court. A large number of departments have switched from film to digital for the forensic photos. With film if someone questioned the authenticity of a photo then the negative could be viewed. In the digital age, that digital negative can be authenticated as well. It is often used by law enforcement, insurance companies and news agencies. Canon has developed such software which is available for certain models of their cameras. I can't speak to other programs out there. Forensic photography is not my field.

I understand the mechanics. I'm interested if the results of the software passes muster in court.

It's one thing to make the claim that a given photo is not edited. It's another for it stand up under legal scrutiny.

Digital photographic evidence is used in court every day, so yes it stands up to legal scrutiny.

OK, lemme try this.

I take a photo. It ends up as evidence in a legal matter. Authentication software (in my case it's Nikon's Image Authentication Software) is used to 'verify' it's not edited.

Does that alone mean enough to not warrant any further action, or has software like this been 'hacked'? Just because 'digital images are used in court' doesn't mean it's bulletproof.

Nikon's will pass muster in court. Canon's will pass muster in court if the opposing side is sloppy as Canon's was hacked in November last year and all current camera photos can be authenticated as valid even after modification.

No system is bulletproof. The chain of custody still relies on people, people who have an obligation to keep the evidence secure but people none the less who make errors. If your soul source of information is a photograph then you're on shady legal grounds at best.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back