Image quality

brdy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hope someone can help me here. Does anyone have any sharp in focus images taken with a Canon 60D?

Let me explain. I own a point and shoot and have been thinking about getting my first DSLR because I was thinking that the move would automatically serve me up better quality images. I was thinking of getting a Canon 60D. But since I have been visiting photography forums to learn more about lenses that I might purchase to go with it, the only photos that I have come across taken by different people using a 60D are all photos that don't seem very sharp, which has surprised me and now has me worried that maybe the 60D is the wrong choice. Here is a picture I took with my little G11. I think its fairly sharp and in focus.
IMG_1781%20b.jpg

Most of the 60D images I have seen on forums in last week or so are images I'd reject as not being good enough.. I was expecting DSLR image quality to be better. I am hoping its just coincidence.

Can someone show me some sharp in focus images taken with a 60D ...Please.

Todays DSLR even the entry level ones are pretty darn good. I think the key is a good lens! I am sure a 60D paired with a 70-200mm canon lens (any max aperture IS or non IS) will produce stunning images. Just dont use it with a kit lens.

Could you please point to a sample of not-so-sharp image taken with a 60D? Just to understand what you mean (just put a link or two). Your sample made with a (good) point&shoot is sharp, but is also so resized that is difficult to tell whether originally it was in focus / sharp or not, unless it is a 100% crop.

Did you take that photo of the bird?

All digital images need to be sharpened to some degree, because of the low-pass filter in front of the image sensor. The filter is also known as an anti-aliasing (AA) filter.

When made as JPEG files, the photo is sharpened right in the camera. Contrast and saturation are also adjusted. The quality of the lens and several other technical factors apply.

The skill of the photographer also has a big impact on the sharpness of focus, and being a variable, is why you cannot evaluate the quality of a camera body by looking at photos someone else has made unless you know what lens was used and have the EXIF data.

Last edited:
Here are some examples
http://www.juzaphoto.com/shared_files/galleries/004704.jpg

http://www.juzaphoto.com/shared_files/galleries/003288.jpg

These are from a 350D camera body. That is an entry level DSLR from around 5 years ago - the 60D is a whole 5 years newer and a level above that camera body (which is more of a build quality and ergonomics factor than pure image quality).
The key to those photos is:

Good light
Good photographer
Pro end lenses (in both of those random examples a 600mm f4 L)

Yes the 60D is more than capable - an entry level camera body is even more than capable of outstanding results. The key is that you have the right skills to be in the right place at the right time to get the photo - to control and react to the light to get the shot and the right skills to frame and compose the photo. A good lump of glass (esp for wildlife) really helps a lot as well of course (and when given the choice glass before bodies is the mantra - pro end glass gives a much bigger image quality jump than a good body upgrade).

Oh and here is a 400D (jsut around a year newer than the 350D) with a 70-300mm sigma lens (that is only just over £100 in cost)
3229230349_7ebfeedfa1_z.jpg

(ps and that shot is mine so I can post it )
(I should also probably add that its not anywhere near in the hands of a pro!;))

and now you also need to read this:
Juza Nature Photography
The other articles in that site I suspect will also be a good help for you as well

Last edited:
Did you take that photo of the bird?

All digital images need to be sharpened to some degree, because of the low-pass filter in front of the image sensor. The filter is also known as an anti-aliasing (AA) filter.

When made as JPEG files, the photo is sharpened right in the camera. Contrast and saturation are also adjusted. The quality of the lens and several other technical factors apply.

The skill of the photographer also has a big impact on the sharpness of focus, and being a variable, is why you cannot evaluate the quality of a camera body by looking at photos someone else has made unless you know what lens was used and have the EXIF data.

Yes of course I took the photo. Why do you ask that.? Its a wedge tailed eagle ( Territory Wildlife Park)
I didnt shoot it as a Jpeg in the camera ..I shot in RAW format then use Photoshop to convert it to jpeg.

Yeah and hear what your saying regards photographer and all variables etc. I have never used a DSLR before and just learning how important the lenses are hanging off the front. Just wandering if someone could show me some nice pics from 60D thats all I have seen some nice shots from Canon 7D camera and NikonD7000 but there a little bit more expensive, Was sort of thinking I could put money into the glass rather than so much into body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back