Image Stabilization lens help

njm1216

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Canon 28-135mm IS lens that I'm having a lot of trouble with. I can never seem to get a tack sharp image with it. Most images are out of focus when hand-held with IS on. My Canon prime 60mm 2.8 gets me excellent results. Could the zoom be the problem? Does anybody have experience with this lens? Is there a special way to hold the camera when IS is on? Any clues as to what could be going wrong? Thanks for any insight. ~Nan

What shutter speed were you using?

Welcome to the forum.

We need more details to diagnose the problem. It would really help if you could post an example along with the EXIF data.

I've used all different combination of settings, ISO, shutter speed, aperatures, etc...nothing seems to improve focus.

I don't use automatic settings. Like I said, I don't have this problem with the prime lens...only the zoom with IS. I'm baffled.

Again, just telling us you have a problem without sharing EXIF data or a sample pic means nothing.

"My car is broke... fix it please?" < That kinda thing. ;)

Help us to help you!

Try putting camera on a tripod - take photo - remember setting.

Remove from tripod, take same photo hand-held with same settings.

If your hand-held is not as sharp as your tripod shot ... you know it's "user error" :)

Otherwise, maybe a lens issue?

I'm hoping for general ideas and tips from anybody who has experience with this lens or with any IS or zoom lenses and would be willing to share tips on using a lens with IS. Most all of my images are slightly off, when viewed at 100% and are just not as sharp as with the 60mm.

Most all of my images are slightly off, when viewed at 100% and are just not as sharp as with the 60mm.
It's certainly possible that your lens is out of alignment. However, 90% of the time, it comes down to user error, we we want to rule that out first.

Could it be that your 60mm is just that much sharper than your 28-135mm?

Try putting camera on a tripod - take photo - remember setting.

Remove from tripod, take same photo hand-held with same settings.

If your hand-held is not as sharp as your tripod shot ... you know it's "user error" :)

Otherwise, maybe a lens issue?

You can't test an IS lens on a tripod. The lens will actually cause shake! If you're taking a real pic, you need to turn off the IS.

I don't use automatic settings. Like I said, I don't have this problem with the prime lens...only the zoom with IS. I'm baffled.
What was your shutter speed? What was the focal length setting?

You can't test an IS lens on a tripod. The lens will actually cause shake! If you're taking a real pic, you need to turn off the IS.

Newer Canon IS lenses will disengage IS when it sense it's on a non moving platform...like a tripod. It just sucks down batteries instead.

OP: Are you comparing a zoom to a prime? Primes are going to be sharper and if you're shooting RAW, the images need to be sharpened out of the camera anyways.

Newer Canon IS lenses will disengage IS when it sense it's on a non moving platform...like a tripod. It just sucks down batteries instead.

Hey, that's cool! I always liked dead batteries. Actually, it's a great idea. Cameras today have way too many settings and frequently the shots are lousy because the photographer forgot to check the settings that were configured for the previous shoot. I've certainly never done that but I've read about it.

Nikon's new VR (IS) feature is the ability to detect panning and to automatically disable VR in that direction. This feature can be turned off if you're shooting from a moving vehicle.

Try holding the focus on the subject for a second, you should feel or hear a slight wir as the gyro kicks in, then take. The gyro disengages when you release the button.
Otherwise your lens seems to be deffective.

Of course you can. All Canon IS lenses have an On/Off swicht for the IS. Put the switch in the Off position. Works real fine on a tripod that way. :lol:

Most reactions

Back