Not open for further replies.

Cooler_King

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.books52.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a discussion underway on a watermarking thread and it has spiralled almost into thread-jacking so I have decided to move it here.

I am not sure what discussions have taken place in the past on TPF and to be honest I don't really care.

The technological ability to steal or copy someone's digital property is not a photographic discussion. It is a technical discussion.

Unless the user is adept in HTML/JavaScript or another suitable programming language then they should remain silent. Just because they personally do not know how to protect their online property does not mean it cannot be done.

If anyone would like to debate the moral rights and wrongs regarding image theft/reuse then again, that is a separate discussion, a philosophical discussion and I will be happy to debate into the wee hours.

But be under no illusions. Image theft is not a forgone conclusion and several techniques are available for protecting your images if you so care to use them.

If you do not feel particularly strongly about your own work (as I don't) then this issue is a moot point anyway.

However if you are considering turning professional or you would like to protect your images then do not be dissuaded by some posters that claim it is a fact of online life and that it cannot be stopped.

It can. The internet and web technology is dynamic and ever changing. Furthermore it is user driven. If you have a problem you can guarantee that another user has either developed or is developing a solution.

There is nothing left to add on this debate.

YOU decided to move it here? You're the first moderator I've ever seen with only 26 posts. HA!

A photography forum is the perfect place to discuss photography theft.

Seriously, you haven't a clue, have you? If you have any proof, please, like I said in the other thread, post up or SHUT UP. Mkthx.

YOU decided to move it here? You're the first moderator I've ever seen with only 26 posts. HA!

Seriously, you haven't a clue, have you?

He clearly has his mind made up...

Cooler King,
Everything you describe would work to dissuade someone from taking your work, but none of it can prevent it.

Some people determined on stealing another's work may just move on and find another image once confronted with your security measures...

Other people would simply find another way to take it.

Yes, security technology is continually improving. At the same time, the technology to get around that is improving too. When the lock was invented, did thieves just stop stealing? No, they found a way to open the lock.

Like they say - a lock only keeps an honest man honest.

Unless the user is adept in HTML/JavaScript or another suitable programming language then they should remain silent. Just because they personally do not know how to protect their online property does not mean it cannot be done.

Oh ok, so... enlighten us?

If anyone would like to debate the moral rights and wrongs regarding image theft/reuse then again, that is a separate discussion, a philosophical discussion and I will be happy to debate into the wee hours.

So law is Philosophical?, that's news to me.

But be under no illusions. Image theft is not a forgone conclusion and several techniques are available for protecting your images if you so care to use them.

Which are....

sure there is.... like other peoples opinions....

Oh ok, so... enlighten us?

Sure. If anyone would like to discuss technical preventative measures then by all means PM with your site address and I will browse the code and give you some pointers and locking down your images.

So law is Philosophical?, that's news to me.

Is it? Yawn.

Which are....

1. Embed inside a flash file
2. Disable/modify context menus
3. Decide where your photography is required to be displayed
4. Paste a transparent image inside a Div container over the image
5. Watermarking both transparent and digital

The list is quite extensive and I agree with O||||O that none in isolation are a magic bullet but you can easily layer enough defences to deter all but the most ardent thief.

The point should be that when a new photographer asks about defending his copyright it is a disservice for 4 or 5 posters to chime in with 'it cannot be done so deal with it or get off the web'.

sure there is.... like other peoples opinions....

You have not expressed an opinion you have given sarcastic answers and asked questions. I have answered.

So if you have a relevant opinion let's hear it. If not don't show yourself up with sarcasm or conjecture. You are a moderator so act accordingly.

Well clearly this has turned into juvenile time. There is nothing to add that has not been done so already.

Oh wait there is.. shortening the buffer overflow so that PRT SCR will not work. Dividing your image into fragments so that they could not possibly be downloaded unless they were assembled by hand by the thief, did I mention transparent Div images?

Inserting images inside navbar disabled pop ups...

I am up to about 9 techniques at the minute. How bad do you want this image?

You want to assemble 1000 individual GIF's by hand just for THAT photo?

Oh yeh, coding to stop the so called Mac Drag and Drop technique..

You still trying to steal it?

Replace the JavaScript functions in your HEAD section with an INCLUDE statement that calls an external JavaScript file (.js). If you're using some DHTML effects that you want to protect, save your style sheet information in an external CSS file

Oh wait..you got my source code except I save my code locally and the code I use online is devoid of all spaces, line breaks and //notes <----!!> so now you have a txt file of garbage...

But just to make sure we have also encrypted the HTML code as well so get those algorithms running...

Sorry. Am I still going? I will stop now unless you know something that the designers of Amazon don't.

And just in case you are not convinced here is the code to disable print screen.

function clearImage()
{
r = window.clipboardData.clearData("Image")
}

ci = setInterval("clearImage()", 10)

I am done here.

Rekd :D it's OK to admit defeat.

The point should be that when a new photographer asks about defending his copyright it is a disservice for 4 or 5 posters to chime in with 'it cannot be done so deal with it or get off the web'.

I think you are confusing the issue here.

Defending your copyright, and preventing theft are two separate issues, with two separate courses of action.

You may see them as the same issue, but they are not.

Defending your copyright is a legal action that takes place in court - after a crime has been committed.

Preventing the theft that would require you to defend said copyright is something that has to be done before the crime is committed. Once they have it, nothing you do matters (as far as prevention goes).

I am very doubtful that you can show us any image on the internet that I cannot get a copy of on my computer.

If I can see it, I can steal it.

Denying that is just nonsense. YES - you can make it harder for the thief to get your stuff, but that's all you can do.

Until you can show me an image, anywhere on the internet, that I cannot get onto my computer - I stand by my assertion that prevention is impossible.

DEFENDING your copyrighted work, once it has been stolen, that's a completely separate issue and the first step you should take (really, this needs to be done before there is a problem) is to register your images.

I am done here.

You haven't put up a picture yet, how can you be done here? Oh, that's how... you can't post a picture I can't steal.

NOW you're done. :lmao:

You're an idiot lol

If I post an image to TPF I am constrained to their security and server setup. Not my own. Seriously, how did you get through puberty? :lol:

As for everyone else claiming I should post the address of an image that you cannot steal... I don't investigate the security of every image vendor so I don't know a particular file path for you to navigate to. However I am sure that there are images embedded on websites that are beyond the ability of anyone on these forums to steal.

Now I believe I have given you more than enough techniques (programming, encryption, file permissions, image disguise etc) to protect your work. This argument (for me) is finished unless someone (obviously not Rekd) can post up exactly how to circumvent every technique I listed.

But none of you can.

Goodnight.

Rekd - keep striving mate. It's working for ya.

If I post an image to TPF I am constrained to their security and server setup. Not my own.

Just post a link. Anywhere on the net. You don't have to post the picture here, just tell us where it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back