Images on CD...good/bad?

mkelton

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone -

I am new to the forum, and just turned a hobby into a profession this year. One question that has been brought up is, "can we purchase the rights to our photos". I never thought about it since I'm only concentrating on portraits.

If I didn't work this into my sitting fee price, what is the typical charge for this option? The specific session I'm referring to is only about 250 photos. I don't want to overcharge them; however, I also don't want to cheat myself.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

Mellisia
www.keltonphotographyllc.com

Interesting question! Even though I'm not a profi and probably will never be, I'm still very interested to know this.

I don't think I'd use the word "only" when talking about 250 images from a portrait session... That's a lot of images for a single session!

As for pricing files, it depends on your business model and pricing structure. Bottom line, you don't want to sell the files for less than they would generate in print sales. Some people sell low-res at one price, hi-res at another. Some people only offer low-res. Other include the files in the session fee. Some people only allow the purchase of the files with a minimum order... And on and one.

Just remember, once you sell the files, you've pretty much cut off any other possible revenue from a session. So, make sure it's worth it.

I do notice that a lot of photographers (speaking on the St. Louis area) include a hi-res CD with their services. This was also brought up by this particular customer. I just don't see the money-maker in it? Once you sell the CD, you know they're going to print from it. I'm just trying to decide whether to go through with it for this customer only, and also a price to quote. Just a bit of thinking here for me....:)

It's not a money maker unless you have it priced right.

Note, the market is flooded with photographers. The vast majority of them are not profitable, stable, studios. Just b/c "everyone" is doing it, you still need to put careful thought into it.

For pricing, I'd suggest either determine what your average gross is on a session and price the files to make that amount, or take your price for an 8x10, double it, multiply by the number files, and sell them for that amount.

Remember, you will never be able to compete with Walmart, Sears, Olan Mills, etc., on price. People don't use a private photographer when they're trying to save money - they use a private photog when they want the talent and attention they can't get elsewhere.

Most reactions

Back