Immage contains no data issue/error

Ginu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well... finally I got this nice error on one of my SD cards and have no idea if its even possible to restore the immages. In total I might have about 2000-3000 corrupt immages on a SD card. I have 99% of the immages backed up on a laptop so this is not a big issue, but wondering if there is a way to restore the SD card? or should I just forget it and start all over by formatting the card?

I normally buy new SD cards when they get near full and keep the old ones intact with my pictures on them.

Have you tried any recovery software?

I normally buy new SD cards when they get near full and keep the old ones intact with my pictures on them.
That is totally amazing. Wow!

Jeez, I shudder thinking that I might lose 200 images on one of my memory cards, let alone 2000 or 3000.

If you have them backed up in more than 1 place, the issue is moot.

Oh....just 1 'm' in image. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/image

I would highly suggest some form of online backup as well. There are some really good ones out there and one U have heard a lot about is Online Backup That way all of your photos are backed up AND you can actually reuse your SD cards =) Plus you also have access to them from anywhere in the world that you have internet access.

That is totally amazing. Wow!

Jeez, I shudder thinking that I might lose 200 images on one of my memory cards, let alone 2000 or 3000.

If you have them backed up in more than 1 place, the issue is moot.

Oh....just 1 'm' in image. Image | Define Image at Dictionary.com

I'd be in the poor house if I used SD cards for storage. I spend $90 for a 16g card, but I get 2tb hard drives for $10 more. And I don't have to wade through 125 cards to find an image.

I'd be in the poor house if I used SD cards for storage. I spend $90 for a 16g card, but I get 2tb hard drives for $10 more. And I don't have to wade through 125 cards to find an image.

16GB cards are dangerous... all the SD cards I have with me and my 16GB went... 4GB is the sweet point I think

On a sidenote I need to find a nice 1TB portable hd for backup while on trips. My main backup is back at home in Canada :(

.......16GB cards are dangerous... all the SD cards I have with me and my 16GB went... 4GB is the sweet point I think..........

Huh? What makes 16g cards 'dangerous'?

.......16GB cards are dangerous... all the SD cards I have with me and my 16GB went... 4GB is the sweet point I think..........

I'm thinking he says dangerous because if you have a 16gb card, you'll tend to want to fill it up before replacing it right? So that means maybe 1000-2000 photos. What if the card craps out? You lose all thsoe pictures. If you use 4 card of 4gb each, you'll only have 250-500 photos. If a card craps out, you lose far less. This is especially critical for wedding or event photographers who have zero chance of going back and re-doing part of the day.

I'm thinking he says dangerous because if you have a 16gb card, you'll tend to want to fill it up before replacing it right? So that means maybe 1000-2000 photos. What if the card craps out? You lose all thsoe pictures. If you use 4 card of 4gb each, you'll only have 250-500 photos. If a card craps out, you lose far less. This is especially critical for wedding or event photographers who have zero chance of going back and re-doing part of the day.

It's one thing to have a card take a dump on you during a wedding. It's totally different if that same card craps out 2 years after you fill it up because you're using it for archiving. If I was going to shoot a wedding, I'd make sure my camera had 2 card slots, as well as have a laptop set up somewhere so I could copy the images whenever possible. Memory is cheap cheap cheap these days. There's absolutely NO REASON to only have one copy of a given image, especially for archive purposes.

So, have you tried any recovery software? If you have already downloaded 99% of the files, it probably won't hurt playing with the card a little. You can also lock the card to make sure no changes are made. The possibility of recovery may vary depending on the file type. If it's just jpeg, you can use any reputable data recovery software, see what comes out. If it's RAW however, that can be problematic as most of the general file fecovery software doesn't see RAW files as it should, at least the CR2 files from Canon (or maybe it's just when recovering deleted/formated files, not ones with error). You'll have to find a more photography-specific software supporting the CR2 format.

Its simple... the bigger the card, the greater the loss if data goes bad... thats how 2000-3000 pics wend bad on my 16gb. if it was on a 2 or 4 gb the loss would have been much smaller :)

larger cards are nice but its important to always back it up. :) not the best choice for a month trip in Europe (my case). However I was lucky enough to backup just a day before so its alright.

So, have you tried any recovery software? If you have already downloaded 99% of the files, it probably won't hurt playing with the card a little. You can also lock the card to make sure no changes are made. The possibility of recovery may vary depending on the file type. If it's just jpeg, you can use any reputable data recovery software, see what comes out. If it's RAW however, that can be problematic as most of the general file fecovery software doesn't see RAW files as it should, at least the CR2 files from Canon (or maybe it's just when recovering deleted/formated files, not ones with error). You'll have to find a more photography-specific software supporting the CR2 format.

Yep I've tried a few programs but no success. Does anyone have any suggestions of some decent free file recovery software?

Have you tried MjM?

I have use recuva and it worked well. I didnt have any errors though, I had just formatted the card on accident. It is free and faster than most I have found

Most reactions

Back