Imported & USA lenses

Rampage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I been on b&h website and I notice that some of there lenses have imported & USA on some of them and there is a price difference for some of them. Does it matter which ones I get honestly? Thank you in advance for your responses.

If you haven't already, read this page at B&H: U.S. & Grey Market Products | B&H Photo Video

Nikon USA Service will not work on non-US serial numbered gear. Not for warranty, nor for paid repairs.

Here in the US, if you register a new Nikon USA version lens, the warranty gets extended for 4 extra years, to 5 years total.

Last edited:
So its basically imported no warranty vs usa warranty. Am I correct?

Not just "no warranty". Nikon USA will not work on them even if you want to pay them to repair the equipment.

However, not sure about "Nikon Authorized" dealers. I am sure places like KEH will still repair them.

I am just surprised that major dealer like BnH can get away with selling both official and grey products. Usually the official distributor will be pissed if their retailers sell grey market stuffs.

No that's not actually correct.

The information you request has already been linked to. A policy page written by the folks who's policy you inquire about... doesn't get any more comprehensive.

The item would have to be sent back to B&H, instead of the manufacturer if there was an issue with it.

For a lot of things, the price difference is insignificant, so I just get the USA one. Other items can have a pretty substantial price difference though...

Film for example (mentioned at the very bottom of the page KmH linked to), is often half the price for Import compared to USA. It's the same thing, and let's face it - I'm not going to be doing a warranty return on a roll of film, so I get the import version if it can save me some money.

Stuff like lenses, you just have to weigh the options...

Nikon USA Service will not work on non-US serial numbered gear. Not for warranty, nor for paid repairs.
Interestingly, Canon will still work on their products, USA or grey market. You will have to pay the normal rates for grey market stuff though - no warranty.

Any repair shop should still fix your gear though, even if Nikon USA won't touch it.

Last edited:
The US vs. Import price difference is also much more significant for Nikon than it is Canon.... probably as a result of this policy

Thanks,I appreciate the responses and feedback

The US vs. Import price difference is also much more significant for Nikon than it is Canon.... probably as a result of this policy
I have noticed that too. For Canon gear, I find that the price difference usually isn't enough to worry about. I mean $10 saved on a $500 lens? OMG! :lol:

Right now, the Canon 100mm Macro (non-L) is $570 for the USA one, $560 for the import.

A little bigger difference on *some* of the more expensive lenses, but still not significant if you're spending that much money.

Usually, the difference is only $10 though. Sometimes $100 (for lenses that are already pretty expensive).

Interestingly, Canon will still work on their products, USA or grey market. You will have to pay the normal rates for grey market stuff though - no warranty.

Any repair shop should still fix your gear though, even if Nikon USA won't touch it.

Yep! Here is the list of independent, Nikon Authorized Repair Stations (NARS) - Nikon Authorized Repair List that will do non-warranty repairs on Nikon camera gear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back