Impression

Nice, but the uneven lighting bothers me a little, and also a couple of bright spots along the upper left edge. It's worth tinkering with.

^^^^Agree, agree. Good stuff, Desi.

Thanks everyone. I greatly appreciate the critique.

This was a very dark and thick grove of old bamboo. Lots of colors but very muted. I'll play with it some more when I get home. Still learning this technique.

Here is a reworked version with your critiques in mind. Lots pushed saturation and vibrance. I figured that was OK for an impressionistic photo, as it already looks somewhat unreal. Only slight boost in exposure.

Bamboo2 by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

I like the revised version much better.

This afternoon I had a go at it. I like my results – the starting photo was very cool to begin with – but I think your new edit prevails.

$8312975961_af1afa6302_b copy copy.jpg
(Let me know if you prefer that I take this down, as I'm posting it without asking you first.)

Yes, I like your edit as well. I was hesitant to brighten the image as the original captures the sense of claustrophobic shadow in which it was shot. Your edit does a nice job of keeping that. I am honored that you took the time to work with my shot. I am enjoying the extra color, now that time has given me some distance from that bamboo grove.

Oh....and thanks for my 100th "like"....'tis a silly thing, but it makes me smile.

I am honored that you took the time to work with my shot.
Ha! I'm honoured that you liked the edit!

Oh....and thanks for my 100th "like"....'tis a silly thing, but it makes me smile.
No problem. It's all about the likes – I got about three on this thread alone, so it's been a success for everyone :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks again. Mully, Kenc, Mishele, Frequency, Charlie, Invisible....you've all given me inspiration and helped me look at this image in many different ways.

Invisible, I tried out your edit....here's something similar, though, not quite your crop. Maybe the darks at the bottom left are too much.....

Bamboo3 by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

So, I played with some of the other bamboo shots and pushed them further past reality. Here's one that I like. I'll have to rework it later.....I'm not wedded to the 2:1 aspect ratio, but I don't want to lose the transition from yellow to blue on the top "feather"

Bamboo4 by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

And, just for show-and-tell, here's the source material. This is the least blurry shot I got.

BambooTemplate by Javier Descalzi, on Flickr

Desi, that some good experimentation. "Reality" is just a starting point. Love the images you've shared with us. It's not all about the DOF and sharpness and the perfect exposure.

And, just for show-and-tell, here's the source material. This is the least blurry shot I got.
I was under the impression that I was looking at some sort of fabric curtains, all this time. Desi, thumbs up on creativity, thumbs down on killing the illusion :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back