In A Dark Place We Find Ourselves

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
and a little more knowledge lights our way.

A continuation of the learning process for a future project. In this one the key was still a gridded light with barn doors on camera left. A kicker with snoot on camera left and high. The fill was a reflective umbrella, camera right at about halfway between axis and 90 degree. The key was brought in a little closer this time and closed down more to create a little softer light on the face.

Between the camera and approximately 3 ft in front of the subject I hung a clear acrylic sheet that I then sprayed with water. Focus was on the subject which basically eliminated the water drops, but the hope was that enough reflected light would create a white line effect on the water drops to make them reappear as foreign objects floating in the air.

What I learned: My idea will work, as enough light is reflected to create the white line effect on the water drops. Next time I will add a little glycerin to the water, as the bigger drops seem to work better.

Anyhow C&C and suggestions for improvement are always appreciated, as I feel like I'm really reaching out of my comfort level of experience.
no-image-available-grid.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
That pupper looks so regal! And cool technique. Thanks for sharing!

That pupper looks so regal! And cool technique. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you.Ultimately will pull the pieces together for a shot with granddaughter but practice with Sadie is less stressed. LOL

Nice! I'd say you nailed it with the last one.

Thank you, I think that's my favorite as well. Still need to work on the drops, but it's getting there.

Sadie is one patient dog! Hope she got a treat for being such an awesome model. :lol:

She's a whole lot more patient then the wife. Lot less backtalk and complaining also:allteeth:

Classic. I really feel like she is getting into character!

Sadie is one patient dog! Hope she got a treat for being such an awesome model. :lol:

She's a whole lot more patient then the wife. Lot less backtalk and complaining also:allteeth:

They say that if you lock your wife and your dog in your car trunk for an hour, when you open it, you'll see who loves you best. (I'm too chicken to try this.)

They say that if you lock your wife and your dog in your car trunk for an hour, when you open it, you'll see who loves you best. (I'm too chicken to try this.)

I'm betting on the dog at my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Last one for me too, all are good but last shot is a lot better and a very good project to do as well.

Seems like the dog was waiting to get picture perfect shot!
3rd one is really stunning.

Smoke, I can't believe you didn't include a lightsaber in these shots!

Seriously, looks like you are getting the lighting thing dialed in. On my list of things to learn but I've still got a lot of basics to tackle first.

I can't believe you didn't include a lightsaber in these shots!

Considered it, but other than taping it to her paw, we couldn't figure out a way for her to hold it :allteeth:

Seriously, looks like you are getting the lighting thing dialed in

While the title and first line is a quote from Yoda (Star Wars), it's also a bit of a pun, on using lights.:allteeth: I think I've reached a point where I have reasonable expectations of what my setup will produce. Still have a lot to learn, but each time I gain a little more knowledge for the future. For me moving from one light to two was harder than moving from two to three or three to four and when I started using a flash meter, things got easier fast.

Most reactions

Back