In defense of WiFi...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone explain to me what the big deal is here? I haven't read every single post but I think I've got the gist of it. So far all I'm getting is that there's a feature available on some newer cameras that some people aren't utilizing, because they don't want to. There are a lot of features I don't utilize on my camera. Do each of them have threads? I just don't understand why this matters. At all. To anyone.

For the record... I'm 45...

Huh.

Honestly, I find that enormously surprising, simply because I don't often see such hissy-fits from adults.

All you're doing is whining. To your credit, though, you're doin' a damn fair job of it.

Some of us have said we don't have a use for it, and somehow you construed that to mean that we're "flaming" you. We've even said we understand the value of it for others; people like you, and you still want to whine about being flamed.

Amazing.

45 year old men who've been in the corporate world are usually more open and receptive to hearing differing ideas and opinions and, when they don't agree with them, they discuss them. They don't whine about being flamed.

Really, this would've all made sense if you said you were 17. The fact that you're 45 just makes this all infinitely funnier...

Maybe we reading a different threads here.. Where have i had a hissy fit? Where is my whining? where am i not open to other peoples opinions? I used the word flamming once... and it had a little smiley next to it -> :)

Have a great day... and i hope whatever is wrong with your life gets better soon :heart:

Maybe we reading a different threads here.. Where have i had a hissy fit? Where is my whining? where am i not open to other peoples opinions? I used the word flamming once... and it had a little smiley next to it -> :)

Have a great day... and i hope whatever is wrong with your life gets better soon :heart:

Steve and TPF controversy go hand in hand. He's the new and improved Cgipson (lol, love ya Charlie).

Rotanimod said:
Sprint plans to have 4G nationwide by the end of 2013.
Sprint Community: is sprint* going to have 4g lte* everywhere they have 3g at now

& per my conversation with a store employee last week.

And the Unites States planned to make a total shift to the metric system by 1977. I've heard about big plans before. Microsoft's Zune was gonna' take over the MP3 player market from the iPod, as per Bill Gates' plans for it... BlueRay was going to take over the home theatre playback market, as per SONY's plans...Windows 8 was supposed to be awesome, and achieve widespread adoption rates, as per Microsoft's plans

Fact is, ADOPTION rates and making chit actually happen are two wildly,wildly different things. And what a person hears from a salesman at a Sprint store has almost zero bearing on what his corporate employer can manage to accomplish. Ask Bill Gates about the Zune.

Sprint has 55.8 million subscribers; AT&T has 108 million: Verizon has 117 million subscribers. The fact remains, only 30% of the mobile traffic in North America is 4G NOW, today, and 70% is NOT 4G.

Good intentions and plans are nice. Just like the plan to shift the entire United States economy and manufacturing and social base to the metric system in roughly eight years between 1969 and 1977...just like Microsoft's huge plans for the now-discontinued Zune MP3 player...

What do all the above things have in common? All were "big plans" and "the next big thing", according to their devotees... and all of them fizzled, terribly...the thing I've learned in my 50 years is that "the next big thing" is exceptionally difficult to predict or to identify, and many ideas or products or technologies that early adopters RAVE about never get off the ground floor. WiFi might be the next MP3 format....OR...it might be the Zune..or the metric system in the USA...or Windows 8...some chit that not many people really want around, in any form...

Can you state clearly what you think wifi on a camera can do and what you expect it to do?

Want: You should be able to browse to your camera from your computer and access your images just like you can when its plugged in (or when using a card reader).
Has: Most cameras with wifi work as an access point.. you connect your phone/tablet to the camera like you would to a home network. The exception to this is the EyiFi cards.. they'll run in both AP and Client mode. (however the software makes it difficult to use.. ie.. no browsing to the camera directly)
Needs: In the ideal world the camera would also work as a WiFi client, connecting to your home network and be accessible as a remote device/computer. (ie: you can browse to the images on your camera.. for nerds.. it would run as a cifs/smb shared server).

Want: Modern WiFi protocols and speed.
Has: Both Nikon and Canon offer 802.11b/g/n protocols. However, range is poor (canon is better then Nikon).. Reliability is non-existant (dropped connections all the time).. and speed is slooooow (Nikon uses the cheap Broadcom BCM4336 radio).
Needs: There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get USB speads from WiFi on a camera.

Want: Software
Has: Nikon software doesn't even work on the iPad (it does.. but in iPhone mode). Canon's software is a little better.
Needs: If you want to see whats possible check out the awesome open source app.. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dslr.dashboard&hl=en

Want: Support..
Has: Marketing that makes it sound like a gimmick.
Needs: To be turned into a true enhancement to photography.

Here is nikons answer... btw.. to the non-gimmick wifi:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Wireless/27046/WT-5A-Wireless-Transmitter.html
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Wireless/27101/UT-1-Communication-Unit.html

$877 + $470 = $1347 worth of 2002 technology.

Last edited:
Could someone explain to me what the big deal is here? I haven't read every single post but I think I've got the gist of it. So far all I'm getting is that there's a feature available on some newer cameras that some people aren't utilizing, because they don't want to. There are a lot of features I don't utilize on my camera. Do each of them have threads? I just don't understand why this matters. At all. To anyone.

Weell, according to the OP, TheLost:

"I get flamed (a lot :D) for bashing manufactures lack of WiFi support in their products.. lots of people see it as a gimmick or a useless feature.

but tell me... why cant i:

• Have my pictures automatically download to my computer when i walk into my house.
  • Send pictures to facebook/twitter in near-real-time while shooting my kids sporting events.
  • Remotely capture that elusive humming bird with my camera outside while i'm sitting inside at my computer.

Manufacturers adding WiFi support to their cameras is currently half-*arsed*. The apps are horrible and outdated.. Support is non-existent... and most people don't care.

WiFi isn't a 'gimmick'... its an extension of the tool.

This little $10 part could offer soooo much more to photography.

Does anybody but me care? :)"

Oh..and the OP also stated that he will soon have a WiFi software application for sale at the iTunes store for $4.99 per download.

Steve and TPF controversy go hand in hand. He's the new and improved Cgipson (lol, love ya Charlie).
Improved? Hell no! Not my cgibs!

@ Derrel: Most major markets are already 4G. It's getting the infrastructure in place for the smaller markets. Sprint has 2013 circled as their target to complete this infrastructure. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect 4G to be almost everywhere in a couple years at the most. If you're Verizon, you've probably already noticed it almost everywhere.

A good read:

4G network speeds: Verizon, AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile put to the test | BGR

I think bluetooth makes more sense, really. I'm not convinced that there's much need to send stuff 100 feet to some object I can't even see.

Bluetooth just lets you plug your camera into your whateveryouwant without fussing with wires.

Oh..and the OP also stated that he will soon have a WiFi software application for sale at the iTunes store for $4.99 per download.

More power to him. The EOS Utility on iphone kinda sucks right now. If it's private Dev's that unlock the potential of this tech, I have no problem supporting them.

As for great, awesome ,incredible, innovative, revolutionary, and MUST-OWN!! new technologies, let's look at this 10 Innovative Pieces of Technology That Failed Miserably

10 Innovative Pieces of technology That Failed Miserably.

Intellivision, Laser Disc, Cinerama, Betamax, Quadrophonic Sound, QR codes (lol!), Digital Audio Tape, Virtual Reality, The PDA like the Apple Newton or the PalmPilot, and finally, DIVX.

And yes, Sprint has big,big plans!!! Just as Microsoft had big,big plans for the Zune. And Windows 8. When some random dude starts a thread about how awesome his new $4.99 WiFi application is going to be, once he's gotten the bugs out of it and it's on the iTunes Store, well, his integrity and his intellectual (dis?)honesty is pretty suspect. It's pretty simple...right now....WiFi-enabled d-slr cameras are not in much demand. Kind of like Zune MP3 players; there were better solutions, so the Zune never got any traction.

Majeed.. I find it offensive to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Steve... especially in that context! (but I'll forgive ya this time... just don't call me an Andrew or Gavjenks!) ;)

Improved? Hell no! Not my cgibs!

Kathy... thank you! (I think! lol!)

Majeed.. I find it offensive to even be mentioned in the same sentence as Steve... especially in that context! (but I'll forgive ya this time... just don't call me an Andrew or Gavjenks!) ;)

OH no offense intended. I don't know your history with Steve. Just know once in a while you've found yourself in controversy (as we all have) and cracked a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back