In home photo studio tips???

I think I need to do some research on lighting. I have no idea what you mean by speed-ring. Lol I don't even really know how to use my external flash that cost me $200. And that was over 5 years ago. Lol

I think I need to do some research on lighting. I have no idea what you mean by speed-ring. Lol I don't even really know how to use my external flash that cost me $200. And that was over 5 years ago. Lol

If you have a speedlite you can start off with one of the flashpoints that we gave you and use your speedlite as the fill light. I'd want a stand and modifier for it, but even just bounced for now would be a good start.
As for learning how to use it Strobist is a fantastic resource.
A speed ring is the ring that attaches any given strobe to a softbox. Each strobe brand requires a speed ring that fits them. There are also speed rings made to allow you to use a softbox with your speedlite.

I think I need to do some research on lighting. I have no idea what a speed ring is lol I still barley know how to use my $200 external flash!! Is there a way to take my external speedlight and use it off the camera?? Maybe with a softbox
?? And put it on a stand?

Sorry on the repeat message. Using my phone and it said the last one didn't post. Lol

Yes, you can take your speedlite off camera. Which camera and speedlite do you have?
Assuming you have one that doesn't have a built in trigger/receiver it's just a matter of purchasing a set of radio slaves for the camera and flash. You can pick up a cheap one for $30 at adorama.
For mounting there are tons of options. If you want a full sized light stand you can do that or I happen to like the Gorilla pod's which are small, bendable tripods that I can wrap around anything, anywhere. Seeing how you want a home studio I'd go with an actual light stand and either an umbrella or softbox for starters.
Flashpoint 4 Channel Radio Remote Control, 65ft Range MT04
I am not extra familiar with the budget light stands, I've had mine forever, but JTL is usually pretty decent JTL 5012 700 7.5' Lightstand, 3 Section, Black Anodized 5012
A softbox with the mounting hardware for your speedlite Flashpoint FSB40 16in x 16in Soft Box for Shoe Mount Flash FSB40

Now none of that is top of the line by any means. It's BUDGET but it will work well and last if you care for it.

I have a Nikon D50 and the Nikon sb 600 I think? Its in a previous post I think. And i do wedding photography and would like to Beable to use my flash off camera. Something that I can hold, or place on the floor/ground. Or have my assistant/husband hold. Lol thank you for all the info!

Eh. It's about the same thing as the flashpoint ones I gave you in the budget option above only less wattage on the lights. Cowboy studio has some decent stuff, but that's it's cheapie stuff. The softboxes will require much care in putting them together as they're really cheap made-ripstop, some stitching and that's it. They don't accept egg crates
What is with wanting more even if it's not good quality instead of good quality stuff that is going to last you. You're doing professional work here and that cheap stuff is disposable-very disposable-and not very durable.
You will find that the backdrops are essentially cotton sheets and chroma key is usually a waste. It's VERY hard to cut and paste digital backgrounds. You'll need a good cut and paste software-besides photoshop-and you'll need more light than that kit offers if you are going to keep the green from reflecting on the skin.

You're doing professional work here and that cheap stuff is disposable-very disposable-and not very durable. chroma key is usually a waste. It's VERY hard to cut and paste digital backgrounds. You'll need a good cut and paste software-besides photoshop-and you'll need more light than that kit offers if you are going to keep the green from reflecting on the skin.

Like I said in a prev. post, i'm NOT doing this professionaly. This is just a hobby and passion of mine. I have lots of friends that want pictures taken, either of them or of there baby or kids. I make a little cash for doing it, and just want to "look" a little more professional than what I have right now. I have two big floresent lights that tip over and are very dangerous, and I have a hologen light that gets really hot. None of them have stands. I have a sheet hanging over a diy backdrop stand made of plastic pipes, and that tips over to. lol Its very goofy looking. I'm not really intrested in the charoma key, so I would just chose the white cotton option instead of green. I only do photoshoots once every few months right now, mostly outdoors, so this would help me out for doing it at home a little more often. Again, its not professional. I never went to school or have taken any classes on photography. I just like doing it. lol Its fun for me.

Ok, thanks for the critique, but I designed my website myself with Photoshop in an hour. The only people who see my site are friends and family or whoever I give the link to. I'm not a professional, I take photos as a hobby and to get some extra cash on the side. I have a full time job. This is just for fun, it's my passion. I just needed some lighting ideas. But thanks to those of you who helped.
I have a Nikon D50 and the Nikon sb 600 I think? Its in a previous post I think. And i do wedding photography and would like to Beable to use my flash off camera. Something that I can hold, or place on the floor/ground. Or have my assistant/husband hold. Lol thank you for all the info!
You're doing professional work here and that cheap stuff is disposable-very disposable-and not very durable. chroma key is usually a waste. It's VERY hard to cut and paste digital backgrounds. You'll need a good cut and paste software-besides photoshop-and you'll need more light than that kit offers if you are going to keep the green from reflecting on the skin.

Like I said in a prev. post, i'm NOT doing this professionaly. This is just a hobby and passion of mine. I have lots of friends that want pictures taken, either of them or of there baby or kids. I make a little cash for doing it, and just want to "look" a little more professional than what I have right now. I have two big floresent lights that tip over and are very dangerous, and I have a hologen light that gets really hot. None of them have stands. I have a sheet hanging over a diy backdrop stand made of plastic pipes, and that tips over to. lol Its very goofy looking. I'm not really intrested in the charoma key, so I would just chose the white cotton option instead of green. I only do photoshoots once every few months right now, mostly outdoors, so this would help me out for doing it at home a little more often. Again, its not professional. I never went to school or have taken any classes on photography. I just like doing it. lol Its fun for me.

Just because you have a job doesn't mean you aren't doing professional work. If you are selling your work as a photographer, you are representing yourself as a professional photographer. Which is totally irrelevant to this post.
The point is really why do you want MORE if it's junk and you'll have to throw it away and you'll be disappointed in it? Especially when you can get better quality with more of what you NEED for less money?
The only difference between the junk and what you have now is going to be that it's not hot. It's cheap and flimsy.
The backdrop stand will have to be weighted and will still pull over. The same with the light stands-all of them. The junk stuff doesn't have the wattage you will need for portraits either.
The backdrops are cotton sheets. You can buy them at wal mart in every color under the sun-and they can work for backdrops!
It's just a ton of money that you will be disappointed in. The option for one GOOD flashpoint strobe setup and the tools to take your speedlight off camera are less money than that "everything" kit. AND you can change the tubes in the flash. You don't have to throw it away when the bulb blows, you just buy a new bulb.

You don't seem too worried about spending a little bit of money on this purchase, so why not buy quality instead of quantity?

[h=2]In home photo studio tips??? [/h]

Tip: light 'em up and shoot
bigthumb.gif

It's within her budget, or for another $100 she can get the 620 flash point, or at least one of them.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back