In need of advice on a desktop tower for beginner photography...

Off the shelf the HP "Omen" gaming line has just about all you need. Just about anything will run most generic software, but when you get into LR and PS for editing photos you need everything fast. In the PC line an I7 processor with a minimum of 16gb of RAM, you can get by with a 500gb SSD to run programs that require speed like Windows and Adobe, and 1-2 TB internal HHD for both storage and programs that don't require speed. I prefer separating storage from processing, a SSD while more environmentally reliable than an HHD has a lifespan based on use. Photo editing taxes that processor/drive, so eliminating some of the load makes sense to me. The other must have is a good graphics card (compatible with PS & LR, not every one is) something like a NVIDIA GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti with 6GB on board ram. Adobe has moved rapidly toward leveraging the processing power in a graphics card to accelerate processing. You can edit without graphics card acceleration but it isn't a pleasant experience and some features in PS & LR won't work without it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice!

I think the easiest editing software to use, and the one with the most power that one will actually use, is Lightroom. The more advanced sibling is Photoshop, with a somewhat steeper learning curve. Both are now available by subscription for $120 per year. That includes any updates that occur within that year.

Good luck!

I think the easiest editing software to use, and the one with the most power that one will actually use, is Lightroom. The more advanced sibling is Photoshop, with a somewhat steeper learning curve. Both are now available by subscription for $120 per year. That includes any updates that occur within that year.

Good luck!
Apple's 'Photos' editing software which comes on the iMac is easy sneezy and quite nice. I use it 97% of the time.
It also has a built-in RAW converter if she will be shooting RAW files in addition to JPEGs

Last edited:
I second the iMac advice. I've been using mine for 10 years now, and I have had zero problems. I use Lightroom and Photoshop Elements for picture editing., but your Mom should be ok with the included photos app to start.

I used Windows for almost 30 years in my job, and I would never go back to it. The Mac is much more user friendly. You can start automatic system backups in 3 or 4 mouse clicks, plus you have iCloud for backups. Installing new apps is very easy. I got my wife, who is extremely techno-phobic, a MacBook and she loves it and swears at her Windows job computer all the time.

Take all this with a frame of reference that I am a Mac bigot, no doubt. But moving to the Mac just isn't that hard.

Purchase as many cores as you can afford. Photoshop and most high powered imaging programs take advantage of multi-threading. More cores is far more important than processor speed. I’d look at the new Mac Mini as a starter. With the BenQ monitor you will have a powerful combination. Get as much RAM as you can afford — 32 GB if possible. The new apple chip is getting rave reviews. I greatly need a new computer, but I’m waiting for the new iMacs with the silicon chip to come out in the spring.

SSD’s are solid state drives. That’s definitely the way to go. Go with as much as you can afford. Apple charges a huge premium for SSD upgrades, because you have to purchase the size you want from the beginning. Not Updating later. I’d recommend at least 500GB than use external SSD’s like the Samsung T7 to store images and backup your main drive. I use the internal SSD for photos currently being worked on, then transfer them to the external SSD’s after completing the work on each folder. If you are capable, buy faster internal SSD’s and put them in an external enclosure. I wish I’d have gone that route, but I got sucked into the 1 TB T7’s one at a time until I had 8 or 9 TB of external storage.

As MJCMT mentioned, Apple support is stellar. I've had my Macbook Pro and 27" iMac for ten years, and have made a handful of calls to support. Even now, long after the warranty expired, they're quick and easy to contact and very helpful.
If you're near an Apple store, they'll have in-store training and group classes as well (post - Covid, natch).

I've found that waiting for the next best computer is like riding an infinity loop. It just never ends.
I understand. However, Apple already released the M1 chip in a few computers and expect to have the iMac M1 out in a few months. If you prefer not to wait, I’d go for the Mac Mini based on the reviews. And at about $700, you can afford to sell it in a year and move up. If I run into too much frustration waiting on the iMac M1 or if they delay it until summer, that is my plan.

The technology is released. As general practice, I agree with you about not waiting on the next greatest thing if you need something now.

Doesn't Nikon have editing software? Why complicate it for your mom?

Nikon software is clunky and slow. I do find it produces far better conversions than Adobe Camera Raw. I use ACR through Lightroom, then when I decide I want a particular image to print, I go back and convert it with Nikon ViewNX. I get better dynamic range than in LR.

If she only wants to learn one program, As a beginner, I’d recommend Lightroom first and ViewNX as she becomes a better photographer. If she wants to grow as a photographer, she will need a cataloging program, and LR has become a standard. I’m not saying it’s the best but it is a standard.

I've found that waiting for the next best computer is like riding an infinity loop. It just never ends.

Very true. Lol.

I've found that riding the wave right behind the latest and greatest is best. Almost as good but, much less. Works well for me and my pocketbook.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back