In need of desperate advice for a photography kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a new member here on this forum. I am in desperate need of advise from all the members here. I want to photograph clothes and I recently landed myself on this site which I think is sort of informative.

Clothing photography tips - how to take pictures of clothing

This is the kit:
Kuhl Lite120's
20" flood light & stand mount
Four 30W daylight CFL bulbs
Adjustable 6' light stands
Removable diffusion panel

Horizontal tripod [FONT=arial, helvetica]Max height = 71"
[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica] Arm length = 15"
[/FONT]​
Trumpet top bulbsTM 5000k CFL "daylight color"
10,000 hr lamps
Cool to touch {very little heat}

The kit they are charging is $425 for all the stuff I need. I want to replicate that exact outcome for the clothes I am trying to photograph.

Can anyone give me advise to get the same exact kit or something to replicate that look for about $275. That is basically all I have to spend right now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

You could probably use a regular tripod rather than one with a horizontal bar. If you want to shoot down onto the garments, you might have to find some way to support the tripod though.

Since the camera is on a tripod and the clothes aren't moving, just about any type of lighting will be OK...but you want the light to be even and consistent so that the colors are accurate. So don't mix bulb types.

Shooting clothes on models is a whole different ball game.

If all you want is a static shot with no people then clamp on lights with regular bulbs (150Ws will do just move them in and out and point them straight on or away- it's called feathering). Get three and make yourself some PVC stands and you're out $45 or so.

You can always spend far more than you need on photo gear so there is no need to rush. ;)

can you recommend any specific brand or where I can go about buying these items.

Also if you can please tell me the specific name of the item that I am buying please.

Sorry I am a total novice at this.

thanks again!!!!

I agree with Big Mike, you may not need a tripod with the horizontal arm if you can position the clothes so you don't need to shoot straight down. Foam core works as a good background material and you can easily pin clothes to it. If you then lay the foam core (or foam board) at an angle against a wall, you should be able to position a standard tripod at the correct angle.

I would not agree with the suggestion for using clamp lamps though. Clamps lamps are too small to give you the soft light needed for flattering clothing pictures. So clamp lamps would need some sort of large diffusers, which make them problematic. That is the benefit of the Kuhl Lites we use in the kit.

Incidentally, we have introduced a new kit for shooting clothing on mannequins or models. You can see our new
Hi,

I am a new member here on this forum. I am in desperate need of advise from all the members here. I want to photograph clothes and I recently landed myself on this site which I think is sort of informative.

Clothing photography tips - how to take pictures of clothing

This is the kit:
Kuhl Lite120's
20" flood light & stand mount
Four 30W daylight CFL bulbs
Adjustable 6' light stands
Removable diffusion panel

Horizontal tripod Max height = 71"
Arm length = 15"
Trumpet top bulbsTM 5000k CFL "daylight color"
10,000 hr lamps
Cool to touch {very little heat}

The kit they are charging is $425 for all the stuff I need. I want to replicate that exact outcome for the clothes I am trying to photograph.

Can anyone give me advise to get the same exact kit or something to replicate that look for about $275. That is basically all I have to spend right now.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back