Need advice: Unhappy client from a photo shoot

I don’t claim to be a professional photographer.

Hi, Natalie.

The thing is... you did take on job. Whether you profess to be a professional or not, that was your role.

I took a look at your site and feel you weren't over reaching. Your equipment is more than adequate. Sure... do a bit of policing of the scene, but it's the nature of candid photography that there will be some "stuff" in frame that you wish was not. When shooting events like this, you'll make a lot of compromises due to time restraints and other factors.

How you proceed is, of course, up to you. I have always guaranteed satisfaction... 100%. The LAST thing I want is a customer cringing every time they look at a photo I made. Over the years, I've had to do "additional" photography one or twice. This is hard, if not impossible, to do with event photography.

I've never had a lawyer prepare any contract for me. I do think it's good to provide a proposal before doing a job like this one. Not so much that you have it in writing. A signature is only as good as the man/woman signing. And if I'm the customer, the last thing I want to hear is, "Gotcha! It was in the contract." BUT... it is essential that both parties understand what is expected from each other. You do this and I do this. I shoot this long, deliver this many images by this time, and so on. You pay me this much now and this much then, etc. Be sure to review your agreement with your client so everyone knows what to expect. And sure... everyone signs.

If a problem should arise, I'm VERY eager to learn what it would take to achieve the satisfaction I guaranteed. Half the money back is easy. I'd rather get them the images they expected if they will afford me the opportunity.

Good luck!
-Pete

Not being defensive just trying to say that I don’t claim to be a professional photographer.

You have a website that is a portfolio of your work. (btw I looked at it last night again and the indoor stuff is pretty good, especially the baker) You say on the site you have 5 year's experience shooting special events. You take paid jobs. You are advertising yourself as a photographer. All this paints a picture of somebody involved in trying to earn and earning money in a profession, even if it's part-time.

Then in the course of this conversation, you've disclosed that you don't use contracts, which people are rightly criticizing. When people have said that maybe you don't have the skills or equipment to pull off this challenging shoot, you point us to your website saying that you do have the skills and here's the proof. Then when critiques come in about the shots on the website, you say, "I don't claim to be a pro."

Aaaaanyway, the question that got all this going was essentially, "The customer was unhappy because the shoot was more of a challenge to me than I thought, what should I do?" You've gotten a lot of good ideas in this thread. Give the refund, use contracts, recon sites ahead of time, careful with exposures outdoors, etc, that will help going forward.

You will get a lot of critique and advice on this site if you stay around. It may seem harsh at times but it will definitely help. Good luck to you!

I suppose pull out the best ones you can for them and do a refund that's workable for you and the client, and then figure out how to move forward from here.

What I usually do is use a short telephoto or maybe portrait length or a 50mm depending on how close I'll be. The advantage to a somewhat longer lens (not some big honkin' telephoto but longer than a wide angle) is it can bring you in closer without having to move yourself closer, and you can shoot tigher to keep a lot of extra unnecessary stuff out of the frame.

Like the guy in the red T shirt in the first series that came up on the site - even out of focus he makes for a red blob that's a visual distraction, and if he's not part of what's going on he doesn't need to be in in your picture. Give it a few seconds for him to move on. With the photo of the couple on the steps/stairs (forget the name, whatever first came up) there are people in the background which are part of the scene, and far enough back that they make for interesting background. But there's one woman in black heading your way and walking into your picture. It would have been better to probably motion her on.

The one with the crosswalk is a cool idea and to me could be tricky or take doing it more than once. Obviously you'd need to watch for the light to change, and watch/wait a few seconds as people move. Maybe flip the camera into a vertical position to keep extra stuff out of the frame. I'd maybe use a smaller aperture to have enough depth of field, a fast enough shutter speed to prevent blur, get focused on the middle of the crosswalk, and when the light changes see if by the time the couple gets to the middle of it (and have them not walk too fast!) and it isn't a busy intersection/time of day, other people may move on through.

I learned over time to get set (having metered and made adjustments to settings), focus on something (I look for lines/edges etc.) then I can shoot with both eyes open to watch for people out of the corner of my eyes (with my peripheral vision). Then when it's clear, I fine tune focus/framing and take a picture (or two, etc.). So it involves timing and anticipating.

Maybe get this situation resolved and then take a look at updating your portfolio on your website. Shooting out 'in the field' can be challenging and I've found it still helps to get in some practice (even after years of experience). I feel like I'm always learning.

One key point is that you mentioned yourself the room "was challenging and your photos are usually better" (or something to that same meaning). Which means the customer did not get what they expected based on your portfolio. In other words "did not get as advertised" . Answer is pretty simple when you look at it that way. Take all the advice from the above posts for future shoots, but putting yourself in your customer's shoes for this shoot, would you not think you were entitled to some refund as well?

Something to consider is when you are shooting a new location, scout it. Try taking some test shots. You mention using a 24-70. Get much wider than that and folks up close will have some ugly distortion so I don't think the lens is the issue. I usually try to stay 35mm and above except in a few shots. You indicate you have a speed light. In a small room, bouncing it to the wall behind you will give enoughfill, albeit it flat light. Bouncing to the side will produce some beautiful images. You may not be a "full time" professional, but you are being paid, that is "professional." Professional work is expected. The difference between an amateur and a "professional" ie someone charging, is a pro can hit home runs just about no matter what is thrown at him. I walk onto a shoot knowing I will get the shots at minimum and probably hit plenty of home runs. I expect there was plenty of emotion, did you capture it? Usually that will be enough for many folks. Do you have insurance, especially error and omissions? If this lady was to sue you, it could cost you thousands in legal fees.

Reactions: pez

Most reactions

New Topics

Back