Need advice: Unhappy client from a photo shoot

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by NatalieNYC, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Parker219

Parker219 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ^ Agree to disagree.

For a 2 hour photoshoot, 80 photos should have been MORE than enough.

However, the OP opened the door for them to be unhappy with the AMOUNT of photos they received.

State a low number, that way there is a hard number in place.

If you are shooting an EVENT, then what you said sounds perfect.

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed! :)

Absolutely, by several orders of magnitude!

Agree!

But don't PROMISE it, that way if everything goes south and both cameras fall in the punch bowl and you break a leg, you can't be held to a promise.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. NatalieNYC

NatalieNYC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks. Haven’t tried working with off camera flash yet. Any resources that you would recommend to learn more about this?

4. Parker219

Photos OK to edit
    OP, lets see your contract you had with them with the names redacted.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    The Strobist Blog is probably the best one on the 'net... as well a TON of stuff on YouTube.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NatalieNYC

NatalieNYC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the solid advice. This is the first time this has happened to me, and I’ve done about 25 shoots to date. So I guess one of the big lessons learned here is that I have to start drafting up a contract/agreement in writing. I guess I’ll need a lawyer for this?

7. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Definitely. There's a ton of stuff on line that you can use as a starting point. Draft up a few outlines and then take it to a lawyer who deals in contract law. Most lawyers will allow you to book a 30 minute consult appointment. Bring your drafts in and have them reviewed. Shouldn't cost more than one arm and both legs.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. NatalieNYC

NatalieNYC TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is my side business, all of my shoots have been paid in cash up until now and the agreement was through email stating the total amount to be paid on the day of the shoot, and that they would receive all the edited JPEG photos through a link. It’s very casual. Nothing much else.

9. Parker219

Photos OK to edit
    :spank:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You agreed to ALL the (edited) JPEGs, and your client knows how to count. She doesn't know what is involved in editing, but that's not her concern, either. You said "all", and she wants all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Remember the average person snaps happy snaps with their camera on their phone all the time and they are generally happy with mostof the photos they take, even though most are rubbish. They thus naturally assume that a "professional photographer" who snaps away just as much is taking prize winning photos every single time. Few realise that from 100 shots you might only get 10 really good ones worth touching up to give to a client.

Note that's a totally random set of numbers there purely for display purposes. Your actual "keeper" rate will vary based on the situation, your skills, your experience with the challenges present etc... Sometimes you might get a LOT more keepers and sometimes you might find you get a lot fewer. Hence the importance of the statments above regarding either under-estimating in general to give yourself a safe limit or not committing to any fixed number.
    Both give you room to adapt to the situation, but they also help you weed out customers who "want it all" who will demand way more photos than you can sensibly produce. They are not clients you really want because they will often never be satisfied and have a higher chance to complain to get whatever they want.

12. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

It doesn't seem like a business, even a side business, if you take cash the day of and provide JPEGs of every photo you took. That's not how a pro photographer runs a business. You might be lucky something like this didn't happen sooner, and maybe it's just as well it happened now before you get any further into it.

Some of your comments and responses seem to indicate that you do not yet have the necessary skills to do this. Learn what you're doing first. You should know to go ahead of time or go early to figure out good vantage points, etc. You should already know all the stuff that you don't yet seem to have learned before you get into being paid as a photographer. I think it's a disservice to clients otherwise.

Try American Society of Media Photographers - Homepage or PPA for info. on contracts, licensing usage, etc. etc.

• Agree Agree x 1