In need of help to get a new camera

stened91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time no see. I have been using fujifilm x100 for over a year and i love the crispy images and its beautifull looks. But i am in a need for a new camera becouse its to slow, does not have a good movie function, and does not handle weather very well.

So i want to sell my x100 and get a new camera.

I have been looking at Canon5d mark ii becouse its big and fit my hand well. Good video and good IQ. only thing about it is than its slow and the tracking is bad.

Omd em5. Its fast, good IQ, movie mode, fast Af and weather resistent. But crap tracking and small selection of lenses.

7D ok pictures, but fast and good tracking and resistant to weather.

i take pictures of everything, but mostly potrait and sport (and some landscape)

thank you for reading, please share experience and info. Or suggest a new camera that is not on the list

If you can afford the D5III then thats the camera I would go for and if not then how about the Nikon D600 ?

If you can afford the D5III then thats the camera I would go for and if not then how about the Nikon D600 ?

I have been looking at a77 from Sony. Looks like an awesome kamera

I have been looking at a77 from Sony. Looks like an awesome kamera

If fast frames per second is important for you then Sony A77 is an option, its main problem is small buffer so it fills up very fast.
Good camera but not the best in low light situation.

Canon 7D and Nikon 300s are possibilities.
You can also consider Nikon D7100, it can go as high as 7fps in 1.3 crop mode, its buffer is small but if you will shoot in JPEG then you will get more pictures in fast rate.

You need to be more focused, you are talking about full frame and crop frame, yu need to know how much money you are willing to spend basically be focus with what you want and then we can give you better advices.

I own and use both the 5DMKII and the 7D, so those are the only ones I can speak about from actual hands-on experience.

I use the 5DMKII a lot more than the 7D, but I mostly shoot portraits and static objects, studio and posed work and the like, and use controlled lighting for 99% of that.

There are certain situations where I reach for the 7D instead, and sports would be one of them - I just don't shoot sports much, or other subjects that would similarly require very fast AF. Low light situations where I won't be using flash or strobes is another where I reach for the 7D instead, and that's also because of the slower focus/tracking of the 5DMKII you mentioned. The 7D works fine for portraits, I'm sure, and I've done a few just because it happened to be in my hands when an opportunity presented itself, but I do prefer what the full frame of the 5DMKII delivers when I can use it.

That said, photographers used cameras with less AF ability (even NONE!!!) for years to shoot sports and everything else, so it can no doubt be done with the 5DMKII, but a faster tracking AF that locks in onto its target faster and more accurately sure is a good tool to have in the modern age of photography.

I like to compare things like that by saying, "sure - you can dig a ditch in a week with an old-school shovel, just as previous generations have done for centuries, if you're willing to put in the time and work. Or you can do it in a day with a modern backhoe with minimal time and effort. The choice is yours, but in the end, it's just a ditch, either way. You don't get anything extra by using the shovel, except maybe a good workout."

Omd em5. Its fast, good IQ, movie mode, fast Af and weather resistent. But crap tracking and small selection of lenses.

crap tracking - my guess is that you haven't tried it. I've used OMD for cycling and soccer with no problem
small selection of lenses - not so - There are over 100 native lenses for the m 4/3 The Complete Micro 4/3 Lens List
the only thing missing so far is very long primes and I assume they will show up eventually.

crap tracking - my guess is that you haven't tried it. I've used OMD for cycling and soccer with no problem
small selection of lenses - not so - There are over 100 native lenses for the m 4/3 The Complete Micro 4/3 Lens List
the only thing missing so far is very long primes and I assume they will show up eventually.

Well i dont use a studio, and controlled lightning. I have been looking at the 5dmkii becouse its full frame. I had the Omd for 5 months. But i missed alot of sport shots becouse of the tracking. I am thinking of 1 camera, 70-200' 50 or 85. Maby 300 but they are all expencive. I love takling pictures i. Rainstorms and snowstorms. So i need asturdy camera that have good controll in bad light situations. Does this info help? Tho i can have Pentax to if they are ok. And i dont "fullframe" but i dont mind either :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back