In search for the perfect camera bag

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking for a camera backpack that holds multiple lenses along with a telephoto attached to a body. I went to Ritz and a few other photography stores looking today, but ended with no luck. Ritz had the exact thing I was looking for, only for $150. I know that the price shows quality... but I don't need that high of a priced bag.

I like the larger backpack, the size of a school bag with the velcro compartments you can adjust to your needs. It had a spot that held my 40D with my 70-200 attached up the middle of the entire bag. Then the sides were all of the velcro adjustables so you can mix and match lenses, flashes, and filters. Any suggestions on bags that are similar to this, but not that expensive?

Thanks

I owned a Slingshot 300 AW by Lowepro. It's a sling style bag, and it will hold a few lenses, including a 40D and 70-200 attached. I got a surprising amount in mine. $110 or less new.

The Tamrac Expedition series is great. I own an Expedition 7, which currently has 4 camera bodies, 7 lenses including the 70-200 f/2.8L IS, a strobe, batteries, teleconverter, and accessories. On top of that, I sometimes put a 14" laptop in the outer pocket. It's a huge bag. A buddy has a Tamrac Expedition 5 which is the same thing, but smaller...still fits camera+70-200.

Now I'm looking for something in the Crumpler lineup...something a bit less nerdy and a little more hip.

But, I would highly recommend the Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW and the Tamrac Expedition series. The Expedition 5 and up will fit what you describe. Decent camera bags aren't cheap :)

Make your own. It's easy, fun, inexpensive, and you can shape it however you like.

I have this. $40 at Amazon

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Backpack-200EG-Cameras-Greenish/dp/B00009R6TA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221137458&sr=8-1[/ame]

Not exactly cheap, but my Kata R-103 bag just arrived this week. This is the second Kata bag I own, and I will proly buy more, I still need a large shoulder bag, and wouldnt mind some other sizes for different travel needs. They are the most well made, well protected, and attractively designed bags I have ever seen. Amazon has lots of different ones, I wanted lots of room for camera and gear as well as my macbook, and it delivers. If you dont need room for a laptop, the R-102 can be had for about $118. I would not cheap out on a bag, this is to protect your camera not haul dirty laundry. :mrgreen:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've found that there is no 'perfect bag'. What works for one situation, won't be idea for other situations.

I've got 6 or 7 different bags, three of which I'll use on any given outing....and I can think of at least two new bags that want to buy.

The important thing, IMO, is to check out the bags first hand, rather than rely on purely internet shopping.

I use mostly Lowepro bags and can attest to their high quality and good design.

I've found that there is no 'perfect bag'. What works for one situation, won't be idea for other situations.

Agreed! I have a Tamrac Cyber-Pro bag that I use (holds laptop) in addition to the backpack. I'd like to get a sling-bag too -- the backpack is not really convenient to get the camera out of when you're walking along.

I'm thinking that I may get something like the Think Tank Airporter.

SHHHHHH...I don't even want to look...I can't justify a new bag right now......[runs off to check it out] :er:

Yup.. thats my feeling too..

* Lowepro slingshot to carry 1 SLR two zooms.
* Tamrac Expedition 5 that I rarely use except to carry a MF system.
* Small Billingham shoulder bag for a single rangefinder and couple lenses
* Large Old Navy shoulder bag with foam inserts for two rangefinders and a bunch of lenses. Also useful for not bringing too much attention to yourself.
* A fairly worn Tenba belt purchased for pocket change with a bunch of pounches when I want comfort and easy access. (hiking trips). Lenses go in pouches without caps.

Interesting enough, the Old Navy + domke inserts is what I use the most... it was the cheapest too. It also has a nice rubber liner to keep things dry during rain. As Bifurcator said... make your own is always an option.

For airport travel, I use a Pelican 1510. Have yet to find anything that is as protective.. cheaper than similar items from Lowepro and Tamrac.

I'm starting designing my own bag because I enjoy making things, plus I work at a craft store making it even more economical than it would have been anyway.

I have this bag, among others:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YA6JA6[/ame]

At $75, it's sort of part way between the Canon and the Kata. It's slimmer than many backpack style camera bags, but can still carry a big lens. (I sometimes use it for my 40D with 300mm/f2.8 attached.) It also has a useful pocket on the side for carrying keys, memory cards, etc.

You definitely should look at the bags in person before deciding. One good thing about Amazon is you can return it for free if you do it within 30 days. They give you the mailing label and everything; you just have to take it to UPS or arrange for UPS to pick it up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back