In the Company of Parrots

seakritter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As a child fell in love with parrots, though the years that love continued. Until one day I got my first parrot, who I love as I would a child. Over the years I learned so much about them, the most surprising was how long they lived (30-100 years), so many people don't realize this and they live beyond them, in addition just how intelligent they are. They have the intelligence of a 2 to 5 yo child. They have true feelings and emotions. So many people don't understand their needs and aren't prepared to devote the time they need. So, It came to be my privilege to rescue several of them, I now have 7, my mother has 5. Many came from abusive homes which has ranged from physical abuse to extreme emotional abuse. These are a few shots of my friends, I hope you enjoy them. C&C is also welcomed.

$image-3382021731.jpg

1 Bilbo, Green Wing Macaw

$image-2532407230.jpg

2 Bilbo, Green Wing Macaw

$image-3634686645.jpg

3 Jules , Blue and Gold Macaw

$image-4172552230.jpg

4 Dear Santa, lol, Gandalf the Grey, an African Grey Red tail Eagle, well he thinks he is, and my baby

Wow are these really that bad that no one even wants to C&C, I guess they must be.

Patience little grasshopper.... ;)

I have a huge soft-spot for birds, and my neighbour rescues and helps exotic birds, primarily cockatoos, 'though there's usually a dozen or so other small birds too. My backyard sounds like a tropical rainforest.

To be honest, there's not a lot to CC here; they're not bad images. The focus is good, exposure's fine, but they're really not all that exciting. What I would suggest is trying some portrait orientation shots to get more bird in the image and go for some 3/4 frontal shots, so we can see some of the wing and chest colours (don't suppose you have a hyacinth about do you?) and see if you can get some of their personality in the image. Show the birds doing something unique to each one!

SWEET! I have a Blue and Gold, Timneh African Grey and a Meyer's Parrot. My baby girl, an Umbrella Cockatoo passed away this spring and I am so lost without her!!!
1 the branch takes too much from the image.
2 SWEET! He looks like you woke him for the shot!
3 Has some shadow issues. Is he a Timneh or Congo?

MLeeK said:
SWEET! I have a Blue and Gold, Timneh African Grey and a Meyer's Parrot. My baby girl, an Umbrella Cockatoo passed away this spring and I am so lost without her!!!
1 the branch takes too much from the image.
2 SWEET! He looks like you woke him for the shot!
3 Has some shadow issues. Is he a Timneh or Congo?

Thank for your input, Gandalf is a Congo, it's easy to tell without seeing the tail, the Congo has a black beak, the Timneh has a a white and brown beak. I am so sorry to hear that your, Umbrella died also have a umbrella her name is Lacy, it is amazing how soft they are. I'll post her picture for you, she is such a baby, the lady that she lived with, she is quite needy, wants to be held all the time.
In #1 I kind of liked the way he was hiding from the camera, he is quite the clown. But I see your point, thank you for your time.

$image-2694248590.jpg

Lacy 1

$image-3603624376.jpg

Lacy2

Last edited:
tirediron said:
Patience little grasshopper.... ;)

I have a huge soft-spot for birds, and my neighbour rescues and helps exotic birds, primarily cockatoos, 'though there's usually a dozen or so other small birds too. My backyard sounds like a tropical rainforest.

To be honest, there's not a lot to CC here; they're not bad images. The focus is good, exposure's fine, but they're really not all that exciting. What I would suggest is trying some portrait orientation shots to get more bird in the image and go for some 3/4 frontal shots, so we can see some of the wing and chest colours (don't suppose you have a hyacinth about do you?) and see if you can get some of their personality in the image. Show the birds doing something unique to each one!

Sorry I guess I was being a proud dad, lol, I have loads of pictures of them of course. Bless your neighbor it is not easy to care for them, it truly is a labor of love. I have always wanted a Hyacinth they such beautiful animals and so very gentle. I almost was given one a man had passed away and I was all set to take the bird, and at the last minute his son said he would keep it. I would have been honored to have had it. Thank you for your input.

I had to actually LOOK at my Grey. I had never noticed her pink/tan beak!

My Too was a rescue also, so she was INCREDIBLY needy. I didn't spend a second of the day without her. Hence, why it is killing me to lose her. Mine are all rescues of some sort who came to me with issues. It's been a great experience to "fix" the issues. It's like having babies again!

MLeeK said:
I had to actually LOOK at my Grey. I had never noticed her pink/tan beak!

My Too was a rescue also, so she was INCREDIBLY needy. I didn't spend a second of the day without her. Hence, why it is killing me to lose her. Mine are all rescues of some sort who came to me with issues. It's been a great experience to "fix" the issues. It's like having babies again!

I know what you mean, my grey calls me daddy, which just melts your heart. They are like your kids.

Most reactions

Back