In the mood to be criticised

PhotoKromze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back after a long slumber, during which I did a whole lot of nothing, and then something :) Well, seems like I'm in the mood to be critcised, so here I am, uploading a few pictures that I took recently. They have gone through a bit of post-processing (at the request of the model), so your critique could be around that too :)

Just, don't be too harsh on me! Leave a bit of sugar in the end so that I can gulp it down ;)
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.JPG

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Lose the gimmicks. Selective color and Dutch tilt add nothing to your photographs.

Thanks Scott. So what do you suggest I do? :)

You have a beautiful model and some interesting scenes. Let them stand on their own merits without gimmicks. Try both black and white and color and see which you prefer. Selective coloring, a combination of both, seldom works and does little more than detract from the actual subject of the photograph.

Watch your backgrounds when shooting. There is a bad reflection in the background of the sixth and the large white column in the second is distracting. A step one way or the other can help with reflections sometimes.

I agree, don't mix B&W and color in one pic and don't tilt the pics !
Maybe next time use a large aperture prime to blur the busy backgrounds.
the "model" looks nice

Your focus is soft, the selective coloring does nothing for your pictures and the tilt is horrible.

You have a beautiful model and some interesting scenes. Let them stand on their own merits without gimmicks. Try both black and white and color and see which you prefer. Selective coloring, a combination of both, seldom works and does little more than detract from the actual subject of the photograph.

Watch your backgrounds when shooting. There is a bad reflection in the background of the sixth and the large white column in the second is distracting. A step one way or the other can help with reflections sometimes.

And this.

SCraig wrote: "Lose the gimmicks."

By that he means you should try to concentrate on just doing photography, not "re-inventing the wheel". (my words)

Poor composition will not be "improved" by use of selective color, tilting the frame, and careless cropping.

Learn how to use your camera's ability to focus and meter scenes, learn what makes a good composition, and learn how to edit your photos properly.

The above pretty much covered it. I will add one more example. In the 4th image you tilted the camera but you cut off her feet. You have some much negative space above her head that you could have used to avoid this.

I will add that the best help for me was (in fact IS) to study composition. I feel that, of all the things I've read & studied, learning the rules of painting composition from great artists of the past (like Rembrandt, Raphael, etc) has made me more satisfied with my images than anything. And I'm just barely beginning to study and apply those things as I'm learning them.

Keep shooting, but keep the camera on manual mode ... slow down and really pay attention to what's in the viewfinder. One thing to try is maybe get two solid color blankets one darker (but not black), one white, and try to arrange them into pleasing lines. See what "works" and then ask yourself why it works or doesn't ...

Just my $.02

Good luck :)

So, you're in the mood to be criticized, are you?

Well...you look funny! And your wife dresses you oddly! lol!

As far as these photos go, I'd echo the idea of going all-color, or all-B&W and eliminating any selective color toning. SHe's an attractive, tall, slender woman, so that's always a plus for photography. My comment though is that such large sunglasses serve to hide her from the camera's eye...sunglasses in every image is a bad look...sunglasses for style is one thing, but sunglasses in every photo is just not a good look; it is almost a form of disguise, and it's unappealing.

My second issue would be photographing in areas like this urban marketplace zone, with open shaded areas where there is not much nearby light from the sky; that type of lighting is rather flat, dull lighting, which reveals no shape, no form, no depth. Lighting that has no real direction is often rather dull. Photos 1 and 3 are pretty good examples of directionless, dull lighting. When photos shot under that type of lighting condition are translated to B&W, they will often be rather dull' notice how much more visually exciting the shots made with stronger lighting are?

One of the BEST types of lighting is found very close to this shaded lighting. Just a few feet away, where the SKY's light comes close to the shadowed, overhanging areas, there is beautiful light that has some direction! In areas where the subject is in open shade, and where there is a large expanse of SKY-LIGHT (not light from the sun, but light from the sky!) there will be lovely lighting. Not underneath the overhangs of buildings, as in shot #1, but at the edges of the shaded areas, where the large expanse of the sky will create a nice, big catchlight in the eyes, or on the sunglasses.

Most reactions

Back