In this thread, post good things about crop sensors!

robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so everyone is all gung ho about full frame sensors, but I think crop sensors are pretty great! list your favorite things about them here. I'll start.

less vignetting!

Cost, weight... cost... :)

I've never used a full frame so I can't say anything bad about them, I have enjoyed all my crop sensor camera bodies however.

Great for wildlife photography.

I've never used a full frame so I can't say anything bad about them, I have enjoyed all my crop sensor camera bodies however.

no! saying bad things is not allowed in this thread! only good things!

Great reach... 100mm = 160mm on a Canon crop
Less weight
Less costly
More availability on the used market

no! saying bad things is not allowed in this thread! only good things!

Those 'were' good things... they cost and weigh less. :lol:

why do they weigh less? I keep reading that... is it because of the construction being cheaper? I don't believe that the sensor weighs noticeably less than a full frame. someone explain!!!

Look at the specs (Nikon example):

FX
D3 43.7 oz
D3x 43.0 oz
D700 35 oz

DX
D300s 30 oz.
D90 22 oz
D60 16.1 oz

Sensor size doesn't really equate to more or less weight. In Canon's line up, the 5D & 5DII are about the same as the 40D/50D/7D. It's the design/layout of the body and the materials used that affect the weight.

yes because your zoom lenses zoom farther!
Not really...but we know what you mean. ;)

One good thing about crop sensor cameras is that they have a deeper DOF than full frame bodies in the same scenario. It's not always a good thing, but sometimes it is.
For example, lets say you are shooting two people in low light. With a full frame camera, you might need to stop your lens down to F5.6 to get enough DOF to keep them both in focus. With a crop body camera, you have a deeper DOF, so you might be able to use F4 or F2.8, getting a faster shutter speed.

Many crop-sensor bodies are lower priced than larger, pro bodies. Some can be bought for under $500 with careful shopping. There are beginner, intermediate,and advanced crop-sensor models available. They can use the same lenses as full-frame bodies use. Kit lenses for crop bodies are small and light and inexpensive. Crop body cameras are getting better with each advancing generation. They DO produce deeper depth of field per picture angle compared with FF cameras, but that can be a good thing in many social photograhy and PJ/sports situations where the smaller capture format and correspondingly shorter focal length per picture angle gives the photographer 1.6x to 2.85 times more in focus area than with a FF camera.

The light little Pentaxes and Oly's and D60's and so on are inconspicuous,and do not draw much attention. A silver-bodied camera makes you look like just another snapper and keeps security people from hassling you.

Most reactions

Back