In urgent need of help!

William

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm at Niagara and when I'm shooting at slow exposures (1-5 sec) my photo is turning out completely white. I don't know whats wrong pleeez help!

-Will

You need to stop your lens down. You're letting in too much light. You can shoot in aperture priority and just stop down all the way, or you can use shutter priority and just dial in what ever shutter speed you want without over or under exposing the shot.

Is your aperture closed down all the way? Is your ISO as low as it'll go? Depending on how bright it is out, you might need a polarizing or ND filter to achieve proper exposure.

EDIT: damn too slow.. :)

I'm on shutter priority. So my aperture needs to be wide (low number), and my ISO needs to be as low as possible (also low number).

Okay, I already understand exposure perfectly well, and I know what I'm supposed to do generally. I just don't know why in this specific case I'm getting a blank white image. Oh well, I got some okay shots w/o long exposures.

Okay, I already understand exposure perfectly well, and I know what I'm supposed to do generally. I just don't know why in this specific case I'm getting a blank white image. Oh well, I got some okay shots w/o long exposures.

i'm having a hard time believing that you understand exposure perfectly well because you wouldn't really be asking this question if you did...

if you're in shutter priority mode and want to do a long exposure, you're aperture should become smaller(higher number).

if you've taken correctly exposed shots with shorter exposure times, you can use those numbers to find equivalent shutter speed and f-stop combinations for your long exposure...if the equivalent f-stop for your longer exposure is beyond the limits of your camera, then you have to use an ND filter...

i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm mistaken...

anyways, good luck...

If you are stopped down to the min aperture of your lens, with the shutter at the exposure time you intend for blur, and you are still getting too much light (according to your meter), then you need to reduce the intensity of the light coming into the lens further. You can either dial back the intensity of the sun (not likely), or put something in front of your lens to reduce the light, aka a neutral density filter.

The original post I made still stands. You need to use your light meter.

if you are trying to get the longest exposure time possible.....then shutter priority would not be the best mode to do the task....instead.....you should use aperture priority.....dial down the aperture until you cant get any higher f number......and that would be the slowest shutter you can use.....what happen with shutter priority is that if you keep dialing a slower shutter.........your camera will still let you do it.....but you might be overexposing and not knowing it.....(if you dont know how to read your cameras light meter).....and your white image seems to be a result of overexposing with a shutter speed that is too slow

Most reactions

Back