The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was going through pictures, culling stuff, and came across some snapshots of an Indian wedding. If you have never been and can get the opportunity to go, do not miss it. They are an incredible spectacle full of color and great food.

My assistant was from a very nice, well-to-do Punjabi extended family who lived in the nicer suburbs of Northern Virginia. She came to the interview with little background knowledge of the issues my company dealt with but was so incredibly sharp that I hired her on the spot. She stayed for two years and, after she got married, leveraged her experience for a substantial job in NYC.
My wife and I were only there for the main day (of the several) but this will give you an idea.
The day started with a hot buffet breakfast. After that was cleared, the caterers put out a spread of new food, evidently to keep the crowd full until the ceremony. There were three photographers and a videographer team working the entire day. (I didn't bring any camera but a tiny P&S because I didn't know whether it would be out of place.) To give some idea of the intensity of the crowd and the celebratory mood, think Mardi Gras in New Orleans with less booze and more food and better costumes.)

Sometime after breakfast the groom came riding up on this horse with a band and dancers and then had to 'force' his way through a line of the bride's women family into the building to show the intensity of his wish to marry. The beauty of the clothes and the intensity of the crowd was incredible.

Then, after another buffet attack, we went inside for a ceremony. The bride and groom were on stage and lots of stuff was going on, none of which my wife and I understood.

There was a break for an enormous lunch, approximately a million varieties of hot delicious food cooked out back in portable ovens and burners.
Then more ceremony.
After the ceremony everyone adjourned to the ante room to eat the fresh buffet and the photographers took pictures (I got one of them to take a quick snap fro my memory book). About two in the afternoon, we went home to sleep off the three or four meals we had so far.

At five we went to a huge buffet at the Ritz Carlton. There must have been 500 people milling about. We ate from the buffet, talked to a few people who were interested to know who we were and stayed around to congratulate the groom and kiss the bride. Around ten PM, they announced dinner! Holy Smokes, we were stuffed on the buffet but we went in to a sit down dinner and lots of singing and dancing. We left about midnight, thought about napping in the car but eventually drove home.

If you can get to a Punjabi wedding, go. It will be the time of your life.

p39704706-4.jpg

p600325790-4.jpg

p559607403-4.jpg

p712317841-4.jpg

p999370941-5.jpg

p803877292-3.jpg

Nice to see. Thanks. Ed

Thanks for posting this, it is a very interesting read.
By the way, I really like your avatar photo, its a nice portrait and the colours are great.

I was scrolling through and can't believe you posted this! I was JUST about to ask about anyone's experience at an Indian wedding because I recently did an Indian engagement party (last night to be exact lol) and the family is considering me for hire at the wedding itself, 3 day wedding, Mendi first day then the Brides day and then the Grooms day. I had so much fun at their engagement party and the culture swooned me!

Looking good both of you Lew!

I enjoyed as always :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back